Windows 11 - Upgraded yet?

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 11 ?

Any problems using the digital modes software? (Not interested in FT8)

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Jim K5SP

Have thought about it, but with my slow internet, downloading that huge file has put me off.

Jim K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Barry VA7GEM

Milt
I have 6 win10 boxes in the house and not a one
capable to run win11. Good Luck.
Barry

N9JCA Chris

I have read that you need the TPM to be upgraded to 2.0
and the CPU to be a bit faster
Since I am a LINUX user I'll probably run WINE
as there are only 3/4 Programs that I need in Windows
and I just not going to upgrade just to suit Windows 11
I can run latest version of ACLog, CW Skimmer, RX Claus, TQSL
ALL in WINE no Problems

Chris N9JCA

73

On 10/26/21 4:23 PM, Jim K5SP wrote:
Have thought about it, but with my slow internet, downloading that huge file has put me off.
Jim K5SP
On 10/26/2021 10:36 AM, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io wrote:

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 11 ?

Any problems using the digital modes software? (Not interested in FT8)

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Barry is the issue the CPU.  If so, and if you can edit the registry, there are ways around that issue without upgrading your cpu.

Jim

On 10/26/2021 11:28 AM, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io wrote:
Milt
I have 6 win10 boxes in the house and not a one
capable to run win11. Good Luck.
Barry

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Barry VA7GEM

Jim
Yes all 6 boxes say CPU is not good enuf.
Barry

Ray Clements

I have a total of five desktops, including one older one now running Linux Mint. I also have three laptops. The three latest devices are capable of running Windows 11. I did have to go into the BIOS settings on two of them to enable TPM. At this point, only my newest laptop has received the upgrade. Two others are ready to go, but waiting.

Ever since Windows 8, I always hated the Windows Metro start menu. I much preferred the Windows 7 style. Thus, on all my computers, I have been using a program called Stardock Start10. The initial version was Start8. The latest version of that program is Start11. Anyway, it allows me to adapt the Windows start menu to my preferences rather than to those of Microsoft. With Start11, that means the start menu button is back at the lower left corner where I want it to be rather than towards the center. The price of Start11 is $4.99 per computer, which should be tolerable for even cheapskate hams. They have some other interface options available as well, but I just use the start menu.

As you might suspect, I have a lot of different software installed on my computers. That made finding programs on the start menu difficult. I liked keeping icons on my desktop for programs used frequently. To assist me in doing that, I used a program called Dexpot to create multiple virtual desktops for various applications: office type applications, multimedia applications, Internet applications, ham radio applications, gaming, utility programs, etc. Although one of the later versions of Windows 10 came with the ability to create virtual desktops, I preferred using Dexpot. Windows 11 is supposed to come with an improved version of multiple desktops, but I have not explored that yet as the laptop on which Windows 11 is currently installed has limited hard drive capacity and does not have the variety of applications I have installed on my primary desktop computers. When I upgrade those two desktops, I will have to decide whether to keep using Dexpot, or try the Windows 11 version. BTW; Dexpot is free.

I have only been using Windows 11 for a few days. Since it is on my laptop, it does not get the heavy use of my primary desktops. So far I have not found any compelling reason to recommend upgrading to Windows 11 nor any reasons to recommend staying on Windows 10. For me, at least, the upgrade was seamless. I do not have any of my ham related software on the laptop, so I do not know if Windows 11 will break any of that software. I suspect it will run anything that runs under Windows 10, but only time will tell. For those programs written to run on Windows XP or Windows 7, who knows what will happen.

I also have tablets running Android. I am eagerly anticipating the ability of Windows 11 to run "some" Android apps natively. On Windows 10, I have been able to run Android apps using an Android emulator. I have used an emulator called Memu, but it is a two step process, not nearly as easy as it should be once Windows 11 includes Android functionality at some future time.

Ray N9RWC

From: " Barry VA7GEM via groups.io" <boat.anchor@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io