Topics

Why PSK-31 is my favorite digital mode...

"Jay"

Why PSK-31 is my favorite digital mode...

PSK-31 is my favorite digital mode, but maybe not for a reason you have heard of before.

PSK-31 is my favorite digital mode, is because I am really lazy after a day's work, and PSK-31 is completely OK with that.

Let me explain.  I work during the day, and like to stream a news program, or maybe a Netflix-type show in the evening.  What I do, is watch a show, with the bottom 2 inches of my computer screen devoted to the Ham Radio Deluxe waterfall set on a PSK-31 frequency, on either 20 or 40 meters.  If a stronger signal pops up on the waterfall, I pause the show, and if it's a CQ, I reply, and usually have a nice ragchew.  Afterwards, I go back to my show.  Sometimes, it's an Olivia contact, but PSK-31, 90% of the time.  I can usually snag a couple QSOs over 90 minutes or so.  Any of you who have worked me, that's how it happened.

There are other reasons, of course.  PSK-31 is thrifty on bandwidth, faster than Olivia, and it's a good "rag chewing" mode, things I appreciate as an old CW op.  But, the fact that I can make some QSOs while being completely lazy after work, appeals to me the most (certainly in the summer, but especially during long ND winters, lol).

R. Jay Goos
WD0EGC, Fargo, ND

Jerry N9AVY

Jay:

I agree being a bit lazy myself. I retired in Nov. 2019 and my attitude has been changed since then.

Like your way of doing things.

73,

Jerry n9avy