TRIPLE PLAY LOW BAND SPRINT - RESULTS

stan W9SMR

RESULTS - TRIPLE PLAY LOW BAND SPRINT – 2021

This year there were 43 logs submitted – down from last year’s 45 logs. There were 11 High Power, 11 Medium Power, 17 Low Power and 4 QRP logs submitted. There were 1,075 total logged QSO’s.  552 on 40M, 488 on 80M and only 35 on 160M.

Top Dawg and 1st in High Power was Lee, N5SLY, of Sherman, TX with a record breaking 85 QSOs and 3936 points, AND NOT ONE 160M QSO!!  Lee knew going in that the odds were stacked against him without a 160M antenna. But his grit and persistence paid off!! Lee is currently in 3rd place in the RC3 Championship race.  How will he do having this great comeback?

High Power - Second Place was Bob, KF3AA of Huntingtown, MD, with 2640 points. Bob also had the highest number of 160M QSOs, at 7. Bob is currently in 1st place in the RC3 Championship race. Third place was John, KC3FL of Inverness, FL with 2214 points. John is currently in 2nd place in the RC3 Championship race.

Medium Power - First place was Buz, WA5AMM of Easley, SC with the second highest score of 3,094 points. Buz has played in 6 of our contests this year and currently ranks 13th in the RC3 Championship race.

Medium Power – Second Place was grabbed by Stan, W9SMR of Sarasota, FL, with 2288 points. Third Place went to Roger, N8TCP of Parma Heights, OH with 1407 points. Roger placed 3rd in the Great Pumpkin 80M Sprint.

Low Power – First Place Steve, W3HF, Collegeville, PA, with 2375 points. Steve managed to find three 160M QSO’s to give him a 4th place overall score.

Low Power - Second Place went to Stephen, KO4CVU of Lebanon, TN with 510 points. Third Place went to Harry, N6TE of La Jolla, CA with 486 points.

QRP Power – First Place went to Eric, K9VIC of Plainfield, IL with 2,808 points. This is an exceptional performance given his six 160M QSOs. How does he stay above the noise on 160? Eric placed 2nd in QRP in the Great Pumpkin Contest.

QRP Power 2nd place went to Rich, AC8NM of Lisbon, OH with 1,075 points.  QRP Power 3rd place went to Steve, VA3FLF of Fort Erie, ON with 945 points. That’s a great achievement on these low bands these days.

Below find the top 3 finishers in each power category.

We again are deeply indebted to David, K9DWR, who established the upload link and parsed the contest results. Thank You, David!

The new “All Amateurs Welcome” policy continues to enhance our overall experience. We had 3 non-members submit logs. In High Power, Steve, NR3I of Wilmington, DE; got 663 points. Steve also played in the St. Patrick’s Day Contest. In Low Power, Andy, K9AWM of Washington, IN got 84 points. In Low Power, James, AB8SF of Plainwell, MI got 153 points. We hope to see membership applications for all of you.

Note that the Top Dawg Certificate and Rollo Dog Tag will be reserved exclusively for members.

Thanks to all who submitted logs. Stickers will be in the next mailing.  Complete results will be uploaded to the Groups.io site under FILES/CONTEST RESULTS 2021 at:  FILES/CONTEST RESULTS 2021

It is not too early to start thinking about your participation in the next PODXS 070 Event.

DOUBLEHEADER – Triple Play Low Band Sprint

This is a Three Day Contest, 72 hours

Second Saturday in December

Saturday, December 11 - 0000 UTC

to the Following Monday in December

Monday, December 13 - 2359 UTC

 See Rules at:    DOUBLEHEADER RULES

73,

Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

Wow this QRP competition is getting tough. I am ready for next week with my new IC-705.

Steve
VA3FLF

On Dec 4, 2021, at 18:07, stan W9SMR <robinstan@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric Dallmann

I'm running a full 160-meter dipole on this end.  I managed to get it up the Friday of the contest.  I didn't do so well with the end fed wire in the Great Pumpkin Spring (yes it was 2nd place, but only 1 qso).  I'm not sure this antenna does any better, but there seemed to be more activity on the band.  A good number of those stations were close in, which was good given that my 160-meter antenna is lower than the one I used on 40- and 80-meters.  Picking up WA5AMM at the end of the contest was a big bonus.

I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Eric
K9VIC