Topics

TDW Update and other stuff

N3DQU@...

Looks like Frank VK3BFC, who was to be a designated bonus station for the
TDW will not be able to participate due to other plans at home. If there is a
DX station out there who would like to take over Frank's slot as a bonus
station, please send an email to N3DQU@... with your request.
Also, from the comments received about holding the TDW on 17 and 12m, it
appears that the ayes far outnumber the nays. So as it stands now, we will
still run the TDW on the WARC bands as originally planned, 30m excluded of
course.
If the Yahoo reflector seems unusually quiet, it is because messages are
still not getting thru in a timely manner, especially for aol addressees. I
am still waiting for word from Yahoo about the problem. Sorry for the
inconvenience. Jay, N3DQU.

ny2u@...

In a message dated 05/12/2001 14:40:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
N3DQU@... writes:

Also, from the comments received about holding the TDW on 17 and 12m, it
appears that the ayes far outnumber the nays. So as it stands now, we will
still run the TDW on the WARC bands as originally planned, 30m excluded of
course.

Helly Jay & 070 Club Members:

I've sat back now for a few days trying to digest all the input you've
received here on the PODXS 070 Reflector and I must say I'm really surprised!
However, NOT pleasantly surprised!! I'll try to explain myself.

It seems that a number of those that have replied to the question about using
the WARC Bands for your upcoming contests are in favor of this practice. To
me this is totally mind blowing! I mean, why would any of our digital users
want to break a "gentleman's agreement" that's been in existence since US
Amateurs were permitted use of the WARC Bands? Does this mean I'm in total
agreement with this gentlemen's agreement....NO!  Does this mean that I don't
think the digital users could use additional band allocations...NO! So, what
does this really mean? I think by contesting on the WARC BANDS in any way,
shape or form, clearly sends a message of disrespect. Like them or not,
gentlemen's agreements have been part of Amateur Radio for more years then I
care to think about.

Take a look at a lot of our DX windows for example, I know a good share of
you like to chase DX. What if I began to tell folks on here to "just go ahead
and start a ragchew net in the middle of the 20 Meter DX window," would any
of you find this wrong? Or, how about holding a SSTV Net on 3.800 KHz?
Nothing the matter with this, right? After all--a good number of you have
already expressed that they don't give a hoot about some lousy old
"gentlemen's agreements!" Maybe we should encourage more of our HF Packet
users to fire up their "rap-blapppp boxes" right on 14.070 MHz, after all
they shouldn't worry about any gentlemen's agreement crapola.

Well, my friends, I hope you'll do a little rethinking before you take
actions that could reflect negatively on all of us PSK'ers. One of your very
own members Rich, W3ZJ, said it right--"
There is enough space for contesting
without infringing on the WARC bands. We can and should honor the original
gentlemen's agreement and keep all contests off the WARC bands without
exception."  Another reply to the WARC Band conversation came from John,
AG4CZ, who said the following, "However, the 'gentleman's agreement' has one
big point going for it. It rules out the whole discussion of how much
contesting is too much on these bands. By following it there is no decision
to be made nor line to creep forward. More appropriate to answer may be, do
we want to be the one's who broke the 'agreement'?

In closing... I hope that NOBODY gets their nose out of shape over what I've
just said. Yes, its how I truly feel and I thought that I would share it with
you folks. If you're head strong on change, do it the right way! I think the
PODXS 070 Club has a lot to offer this hobby. I also believe you've gained a
lot of attention in the short period of time you've been
in existence. The actions you're about to take could have lasting
repercussions!

Thank you for you time and I hope to print you soon.

73 de NY2U Bill Eddy
ny2u@...

n1zzz@...

I for one, all joking aside, will only be on 10, 15, and 20 mtrs for the TDW.
 I hope to see you all there.

73's

Jeremy N1ZZZ/4

K5SIT BOB <k5sit@...>

Hi all,

I talked to a local ham about this.
He said it was an international agreement not just the ARRL.
I for one will NOT be on 12m or17m for the contest.
I think we will be looking for trouble if we do.
I am not a big gun. I am running 20w to ground mounted vertical.
I hope to see all of u on 20m, 15m and 10m or early on 80m and 40m 06:00
CDT.
I still need two hotdogs. KA3X and N3XC.
Where are u guys?????

Have a gud weekend cul.

de k5sit 73

N3DQU@... writes:

[...]

Bill Duffy <bjduffy2@...>

Sorry to hear of the plans to contest on 12 & 17. I wish you would rethink
this decision. I feel an ugly box would be opened up.
Bill
KA0VXK

[...]

Bob <k3cko@...>

I agree with you Bob. I will not be on the WARC bands either. I can have
enough fun with the standard bands.

Bob K3CKO

He said it was an international agreement not just the ARRL.
I for one will NOT be on 12m or17m for the contest.
I think we will be looking for trouble if we do.
I am not a big gun. I am running 20w to ground mounted vertical.
I hope to see all of u on 20m, 15m and 10m or early on 80m and 40m 06:00
CDT.
I still need two hotdogs. KA3X and N3XC.
Where are u guys?????

Have a gud weekend cul.

de k5sit 73

Alan M. Eshleman <doctore@...>

Contesting on the WARC bands is a very bad idea. I would never take part
because because I would not want to be identified as tacitly
approving. I can almost guarantee that if you do it you will become the
focus of a very unpleasant controversy.

Alan/K6SRZ

JHudak3rd@...

Hey, K5SIT, I'm on the air, usually 20 meters, although I do work 15 and 10,
along with 40, almost every day. My hours vary, but I can be heard between 10
am and noon, 5 and 8 pm, and usually after 11 pm, all times EST. I'll be glad
to chat with you. Best 73, de KA3X, Jay