Topics

TDW start time

The start time for TDW is 0000 UTC 29 May ( Friday) which I believe is 8 PM ESDT 28 May (Thursday).  There is a countdown timer on the PODXS home page that at 2 PM Wed (18:00 UTC) says the sprint starts in one day and 13 hours.  That looks like 3 AM EDST (07:00 UTC) 28 May (Friday).  Is there any way to reset that timer?  There is a lot of time conversion here so maybe I'm confused.

malcolm heard

 7:00 PM (19:00) Previous Day Central Daylight
I think you have it right.

Malcolm KE0JBT

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jerry N9AVY

John:

If all you logging software is running GMT/UTC that shouldn't be a problem. I've always run UTC for logging to avoid all that confusing conversion stuff... we have 4 time zone in U.S. and that should be a good reason to use UTC/GMT.

73, Jerry

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 12:56:46 PM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

The start time for TDW is 0000 UTC 29 May ( Friday) which I believe is 8 PM ESDT 28 May (Thursday).  There is a countdown timer on the PODXS home page that at 2 PM Wed (18:00 UTC) says the sprint starts in one day and 13 hours.  That looks like 3 AM EDST (07:00 UTC) 28 May (Friday).  Is there any way to reset that timer?  There is a lot of time conversion here so maybe I'm confused.

Jim K5SP

The countdown timer on the website is based upon the time zone that the server is located in.  I failed to make an offset correction when I set the timer up.

Have been playing with the offset and just cannot seem to get it to work right.  It might be because we are using the free version of the Joomla plugin module for the countdown.

Will keep at it.

Anyway the start time is Thursday evening, at which the UTC clock rolls to 0000Z making it Friday UTC.

Jim K5SP

On 5/27/2020 12:56 PM, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:

The start time for TDW is 0000 UTC 29 May ( Friday) which I believe is 8 PM ESDT 28 May (Thursday).  There is a countdown timer on the PODXS home page that at 2 PM Wed (18:00 UTC) says the sprint starts in one day and 13 hours.  That looks like 3 AM EDST (07:00 UTC) 28 May (Friday).  Is there any way to reset that timer?  There is a lot of time conversion here so maybe I'm confused.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Dan Morris - KZ3T

That’s right, one should ALWAYS use UTC/GMT time for their logs not only as you stated Jerry but also because if they want to get confirmations from other stations, especially DX, it may not happen via LoTW or even eQSL or QRZ.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 27, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

John:

If all you logging software is running GMT/UTC that shouldn't be a problem. I've always run UTC for logging to avoid all that confusing conversion stuff... we have 4 time zone in U.S. and that should be a good reason to use UTC/GMT.

73, Jerry
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 12:56:46 PM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

The start time for TDW is 0000 UTC 29 May ( Friday) which I believe is 8 PM ESDT 28 May (Thursday).  There is a countdown timer on the PODXS home page that at 2 PM Wed (18:00 UTC) says the sprint starts in one day and 13 hours.  That looks like 3 AM EDST (07:00 UTC) 28 May (Friday).  Is there any way to reset that timer?  There is a lot of time conversion here so maybe I'm confused.

Jim, tnx for the explanation.  Thought it was an oversight and just wanted to point it out.  Can't imagine anyone  logging in local time.  Since the digital software uses UTC for logging that would require a lot of work to convert all of those times.  hi hi

malcolm heard

FYI somehow I just had qso with ik4lm.  Not expected. But fun

Ke0jbt

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim, tnx for the explanation.  Thought it was an oversight and just wanted to point it out.  Can't imagine anyone  logging in local time.  Since the digital software uses UTC for logging that would require a lot of work to convert all of those times.  hi hi

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

malcolm heard

Ik4alm

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 5:30 PM malcolm heard via groups.io <heardmalcolm2017=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
FYI somehow I just had qso with ik4lm.  Not expected. But fun

Ke0jbt

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim, tnx for the explanation.  Thought it was an oversight and just wanted to point it out.  Can't imagine anyone  logging in local time.  Since the digital software uses UTC for logging that would require a lot of work to convert all of those times.  hi hi

--

Leadership • Culture • Talent

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jim K5SP

Check now, I think it is showing the correct time.   Finally figured out the server is on PST.

Jim K5SP

On 5/27/2020 4:31 PM, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:

Jim, tnx for the explanation.  Thought it was an oversight and just wanted to point it out.  Can't imagine anyone  logging in local time.  Since the digital software uses UTC for logging that would require a lot of work to convert all of those times.  hi hi

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

stan robinson