Topics

TDW Propagation

Jim K5SP

From the appearance of my waterfall last evening, the tale of poor propagation is a myth.  There were several traces on 20, and 40 was almost wall to wall with traces.  It appears that on day to day operation, the lack of propagation is caused by lack of operation.

It was great to contact old friends, and some new ones.  Lots of strong signals here, but, I was only using 20 watts, and was either not heard by some stations, or, was overpowered by others when trying to get a contact.  Two more days and I will be there off and on during the day due to commitments.

We MUST use our portion of the band plan or it will be overtaken by other modes, as bandwidth is at a premium.  Those infamous FT8 operators are already trying to zoom down like a hawk after a rabbit on 20 and 40 meters.  They have already completely taken over 17 meters forcing us to drop to 18.097 to get around their operating.

PSK is a great mode, we have a lot of fun using it, and can converse with old and new friends at length.  I know everyone cannot operate every day, but, get on the bands as often as you can, use the bandwidth, and it will remain in PSK operators hands.

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Rick - N7WE

TRIPLE ROGER on what you said Jim!  Lots of activity already this morning.  N9AVY - Bonus station is on 40m and VA3TPS - Bonus staion is on 20m as well as lot of members on both bands.  Get on and get them.

Heavy t-storms in the forecast starting about noon until late evening.  I may have to be off air for an extended period again today.  Good luck to all!  Remember....use it or loose it!

malcolm heard

I had really good luck with bonus stations. Are bonus station contacts counted once or do you get credit for them on different bands?

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:44 AM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
TRIPLE ROGER on what you said Jim!  Lots of activity already this morning.  N9AVY - Bonus station is on 40m and VA3TPS - Bonus staion is on 20m as well as lot of members on both bands.  Get on and get them.

Heavy t-storms in the forecast starting about noon until late evening.  I may have to be off air for an extended period again today.  Good luck to all!  Remember....use it or loose it!

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jim K5SP

You get credit for Bonus Stations, and any other stations once per band.
--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Just like any other station you can work them once per band

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 12:49 PM, malcolm heard wrote:
I had really good luck with bonus stations. Are bonus station contacts counted once or do you get credit for them on different bands?

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:44 AM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
TRIPLE ROGER on what you said Jim!  Lots of activity already this morning.  N9AVY - Bonus station is on 40m and VA3TPS - Bonus staion is on 20m as well as lot of members on both bands.  Get on and get them.

Heavy t-storms in the forecast starting about noon until late evening.  I may have to be off air for an extended period again today.  Good luck to all!  Remember....use it or loose it!

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Bo W4GHV

I'm 'new' at this, well just returning after some FT8 diversion, and wonder if any scheduled nets are held?  I'll chek the web site when this is over.
I noted that this is a 'chatty' contest, not rapid fire like RTTY.
I had fun on the phone with my daughter in SLC us working the band from both directions, I'm in NC
I'll be around most of the time.
73, Bo W4GHV
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV

N9JCA Chris Matthews

There is some activity on 10M it's all DX  Anyone want to give it a try?

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 12:51 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews wrote:

[...]

I would really like to learn about a PSK net and how that works.

keojbt 2749

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:54 AM Bo W4GHV <bobarr@...> wrote:
I'm 'new' at this, well just returning after some FT8 diversion, and wonder if any scheduled nets are held?  I'll chek the web site when this is over.
I noted that this is a 'chatty' contest, not rapid fire like RTTY.
I had fun on the phone with my daughter in SLC us working the band from both directions, I'm in NC
I'll be around most of the time.
73, Bo W4GHV
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Best place to find stations is to use www.hamspots.net

If you're not registered you will have to make up an account

Then once accepted click on Digital Modes

Click on PSK 3 Bands choose what bands you want

save each band you want to follow

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 1:06 PM, malcolm heard wrote:
[...]

Been looking periodically Chris.  I don't see anything - even with the external preamp in.

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Yep quiet on the western front ,but there might be an opening later on   I works 150 stations on field day last year starting about this time so I thought I'd give it a try

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 1:11 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Been looking periodically Chris.  I don't see anything - even with the external preamp in.

Dan Morris - KZ3T

NADA so far on 10M.  Made a couple of CQs but just the mild hissing of band noise!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 29, 2020, at 9:13 AM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

Yep quiet on the western front ,but there might be an opening later on   I works 150 stations on field day last year starting about this time so I thought I'd give it a try

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 1:11 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Been looking periodically Chris.  I don't see anything - even with the external preamp in.

N9JCA Chris Matthews

A little bit off topic

BUT just received an update from Scott N3FJP for AClog

regarding Field Day.  Awesome

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 1:15 PM, Dan Morris - KZ3T wrote:
NADA so far on 10M.  Made a couple of CQs but just the mild hissing of band noise!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On May 29, 2020, at 9:13 AM, N9JCA Chris Matthews <chris.n9jca@...> wrote:

Yep quiet on the western front ,but there might be an opening later on   I works 150 stations on field day last year starting about this time so I thought I'd give it a try

Chris N9JCA

73

On 5/29/20 1:11 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Been looking periodically Chris.  I don't see anything - even with the external preamp in.

B. Smith, N3XL

Hey Bo, there is a Contest Message board and a CHAT option at https://groups.io/g/070ClubContests site. So if you get subscribed that is a great place for a CHAT. Email only gets looked at once and a while for most of us.

73, Bill N3XL

I'm 'new' at this, well just returning after some FT8 diversion, and wonder if any scheduled nets are held?  I'll chek the web site when this is over.
I noted that this is a 'chatty' contest, not rapid fire like RTTY.
I had fun on the phone with my daughter in SLC us working the band from both directions, I'm in NC
I'll be around most of the time.
73, Bo W4GHV
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV

--
Bill Smith, N3XL

Eric <radio@...>

From the appearance of my waterfall last evening, the tale of poor propagation is a myth.  There were several traces on 20, and 40 was almost wall to wall with traces.  It appears that on day to day operation, the lack of propagation is caused by lack of operation.

Truer words were never spoke.

I think this is part of the underlying problem with FT8 and PSK mentioned in the “Creep” thread.  They are gobbling up the spectrum because the hot bands are packed!  Even the “off” bands are busy over there.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS