Tarheel Model 75A

Anyone have a Tarheel Model 75A?
I've got a few questions about lengthening the whip, and the results.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #75

Jerry N9AVY

Wish I would have bought a Tarheel, but I bought a High Sierra and they went out of business .

My High Sierra was damaged by a driver who could not judge distance and now it's junk. 

Hope you get an answer to your question.

Jerry  n9avy #454 

On Saturday, July 17, 2021, 04:57:14 PM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

Anyone have a Tarheel Model 75A?
I've got a few questions about lengthening the whip, and the results.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #75

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I've got a Little Tarheel II, and I've been using a very long assembly of Buddipole parts totallying some 15 feet or so (obviously not while moving).  It makes a big difference in how effective the antenna is.  My goal has been to have the longest whip I can put up for whatever band I'm working and then tune it up with the coil.

-p W7PFB
73, Don't forget to smile and have fun!

Hi Paul...
Are you using a remote tuner like the "TuneMatic", or "TuneMatic Lite"?
I ask, because years ago, I did an APE with a 102" st. stl. whip, and alligator clipped a 30-40' piece of wire to the corona ball and was tuning it with an Icom AH4 auto tuner.
Worked great.
Now I've got the Tarheel 75A, that covers 10m to 80m and I'm using a TuneMatic Lite controller.
I'm just curious as to whether I could do the random wire thing again. 
I'm going to hook it up and give it a try.
Thanks,
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jul 18, 2021 9:11 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Tarheel Model 75A

I've got a Little Tarheel II, and I've been using a very long assembly of Buddipole parts totallying some 15 feet or so (obviously not while moving).  It makes a big difference in how effective the antenna is.  My goal has been to have the longest whip I can put up for whatever band I'm working and then tune it up with the coil.

-p W7PFB

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Milt, I'm using the Baby Tarheel II on a HUGE three magnet magmount.  On top of the Tarheel I've got a quick release whip mount, and I have the mate to the mount on the end of several different whip options.  I'm using a Tunematic Lite controller.

As an NVIS experiment I tried a long wire (I don't recall length) mounted directly to the top of the Tarheel and then stretched out horizontally perhaps 100 feet, adjusting the Tarheel to tune it.  I used an antenna analyzer to get it tuned, and it worked just fine, tuning to perhaps 1:1.2.  It wasn't as good on 80m as my 135' OCFD up at 35 feet but I didn't really expect that.  The problem I was trying to get around was that with the radio I was using at the time trying to work psk31 on 3.580MHz the RFI would drive my cheap laptop into a catatonic state, and getting the radiator a little bit away from directly over my head seemed like a good move.

One of the nice things about the Buddipole whips is that they are collapsible, so you don't end up with a long long whip you have to cart around or worry about low bridging.

-p W7PFB

Paul,
This is great info! Exactly the experience I'm looking for.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you removed the whip, and attached your long wire to the top of the coil, not clipped to the top of the whip?
I've also installed a quick coupler to the bottom of the whip, and I'm also using a TuneMatic Lite. What a trick little box!
I used my CA-500 analyzer for initial tuning, then from the IC-7300 on low power in AM mode for final tuning prior to memorizing into the controller.
You mentioned 3.580. I've successfully tuned it there, but what a narrow bandwidth! Like one click up or down on the controller made for drastic moves on the analyzer.
I've added a 2nd battery to my car and have it connected via a "battery isolator". 
It's a 100 amp/hr deep cycle RV battery and I'm hoping it works per my expectations. 
I've hardly ever been disappointed before...Hi Hi...
Thanks again for your input.
APE bound in a few more weeks.
I'll be using N6MG as well as W6QP, 070-1454, intermittently.  
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jul 19, 2021 7:08 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Tarheel Model 75A

Milt, I'm using the Baby Tarheel II on a HUGE three magnet magmount.  On top of the Tarheel I've got a quick release whip mount, and I have the mate to the mount on the end of several different whip options.  I'm using a Tunematic Lite controller.

As an NVIS experiment I tried a long wire (I don't recall length) mounted directly to the top of the Tarheel and then stretched out horizontally perhaps 100 feet, adjusting the Tarheel to tune it.  I used an antenna analyzer to get it tuned, and it worked just fine, tuning to perhaps 1:1.2.  It wasn't as good on 80m as my 135' OCFD up at 35 feet but I didn't really expect that.  The problem I was trying to get around was that with the radio I was using at the time trying to work psk31 on 3.580MHz the RFI would drive my cheap laptop into a catatonic state, and getting the radiator a little bit away from directly over my head seemed like a good move.

One of the nice things about the Buddipole whips is that they are collapsible, so you don't end up with a long long whip you have to cart around or worry about low bridging.

-p W7PFB

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you removed the whip, and attached your long wire to the top of the coil, not clipped to the top of the whip?
Exactly.

And yes, on my Little Tarheel II, using a really long whip, bandwidth on 80m is really narrow and even one turn moves the resonant point pretty far.

As far as batteries go the battery backed power supply in my home shack has just been replace with a LiFePO4 battery backed solution.  One nice thing is that the LiFePO4 battery charges at a heck of a clip compared to how fast I could charge the AGM battery it replaced.  Its also much smaller, vastly lighter.  I'm pretty pleased with that.

I may try to get portable again this coming August in the second half of the month.  If I do, it will be the IC-7300 that gets taken along instead of the KX3/KXPA-100.  Bigger radio but connections are far simpler and less prone to problems in the field.

-p W7PFB
73, don't forget to smile and have fun!