T-Storm this morning

Jerry N9AVY

T-storm rolled i about 4 am this morning. Was typical except for one very loud and possible nearby hit.  Must have been close as it woke me up out of sound sleep. Looked out window and noticed neighbors motion detector light was tripped.   This hit was too close for comfort.

My tower is located about 8-10 feet from where I sleep; so lightning is always a concern. Although there are 3 ground rods on tower, I was advised by a friend to tie them all together with a circle of heavy wire. Maybe once I do that I'll sleep easier.

Glad I don't live in FL which is lightning capitol of USA.

Jerry-
In my mountaineering days (and that was long, long ago) they used to say "If you hear the bang...your OK.  If you hear the buzz and your hair stands up....get off the ridge, crouch down and pray!"

Ha-ha !     Yup, it's always the one you don't hear.

Been out on the flat prairies of IL  and there's usually no place for cover except under a tree and that's a very bad idea.

This morning was too close for comfort...

Jerry  n9avy

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 01:32:49 PM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Jerry-

In my mountaineering days (and that was long, long ago) they used to say "If you hear the bang...your OK.  If you hear the buzz and your hair stands up....get off the ridge, crouch down and pray!"

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

You faired better than Kathy and I.  We were hit last Monday.  It hit the security light on my garden shed and blew up the electrical sub-panel in the shed, ran down the cable into the main breaker box in the house.  The conduit sub going into the house was cracked and where the wire ran along the soffit, the are lots of bulges now.  So far we have a dead refrigerator,  4 dead TV's, one desktop computer, the cable modem and wifi router and the cable,  I lost the IC7410, which is now totally deaf., but transmits just fine.  It looks like the AH-4 remote turner on the roof is also dead. My SDR receiver that was connected to the dead computer and some other little lights, etc.  It also took out our well controller, so we did not have water for a day.  The attached picture shows where the security light use to be, hi hi.  I found the pieces in about a 30 ft radius of the shed.

The radios were all off and antennas disconnected.  I think when the lightning hit, it induced a large current in my 120ft dipole which is feed by the AH-4.  The surge must have run down the control lines into the radio.  So now we are dealing with the insurance company on covering the loss.  They want everything inspected by a "licensed technician" to verify that it was caused by lightning.  An electrical company and the well repair are not a problem for the lightning inspection, but since there are not many TV or radio repair places any more I have not figured out how to get the other stuff covered.

So now I am using my backup IC7100 that I normally use when mobile for my main rig.  I did find it interesting that with a hex beam and three large wire antennas, and lots of tall tree that the shed was the target.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Sorry to hear that Dick.  Glad you and Kathy are OK and you had no fire.  Equipment can be replaced, people can't.

Although it is a hassle to get everything replaced, it just takes time.  As to the "licensed technician," I think probably anyone with a FCC GORL license would satisfy them.  Our local sheriff's department has a communications department with several GROL holders (also they are also hams and members of the local radio club) and almost all fixed base operators that do aircraft radio maintance and repair have a GROL licensed person on staff.

Good luck, and give a shout if I can help you out with anything.

Dick:

Wow, that awful !!!     You can't stop lightning because it goes where it WANTS to go.  That's the biggest fear I have in this hobby is getting everything hit like you did.  Looks like a really big black cat crossed your path  Emoji !

Have seen my friend Jim , N7US shack after his 75 ft tower took a lightning hit.  The tower is about 75 ft. from house and there was a big black spot on basement concrete wall.  Looked like everything came down control lines.  His damage was similar to yours... TV, landlines, well, control box for tower (motorized crank up) and a host of other things. Jim is a big time DXer and that put him off the air for some time.

Wonder if you had any sort of lightning protection ?    Or did you wing it like the rest of us ?

It's a lousy, dirty shame that lightning decided to pick on you.  Florida is the lightning capitol of U.S. and the only place worse is somewhere in Africa as I recall, but any place with lightning activity is a bad place.

Sure hope you get it all sorted out with insurance people. They can be real crummy sometimes probably because they don't have any hams working for them.

House I used to own took lightning hit and it came down the cable TV messenger cable which they used #20 wire to make a ground (hillbillies with pickups as employees !).  any how it took out cable TV, zTV, landline, intercom system, security system, but left ham radio untouched. Go figure.

Sorry for all the damage.  Sue Mother Nature !

73,      Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, June 19, 2021, 01:47:40 PM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

[...]

Barry VA7GEM

Dick
That is a big OUCH. Sri Mother Nature picked on you.
At least You, Kathy, and the house survived.
Were you home when this happened.
cheers
Barry

Eric KG6MZS

Jerry & Crew,

My story from yesterday isn't as dramatic:

Yesterday I hiked up the 10,441' Pajarito Mountain in New Mexico.  I was having a lot of fun working 24 stations all over the US and Canada when I noticed that some monsoon cumulus starting to build.  Sure enough, as I was wrapping it up, thunder became audible and big fat drops started to fall.  The lightning got closer and closer as I scurried down the mountain. Fortunately getting soaked was the only price I payed.

Here is the full write-up:

https://kg6mzs.com/2021/06/20/pajarito-mountain/

73 Eric,KG6MZS

Jerry N9AVY

Eric:

Nice going and glad you escaped Mother Nature's Fireworks.

Nice pics of area and flowers.  Stop to smell the flowers ?

You may need to do more practice runs with heavier packs (50 lbs ?); then, 30 libs won't seem so heavy Emoji

73   ,  Jerry n9avy

On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 11:16:30 AM CDT, Eric KG6MZS <contact@...> wrote:

Jerry & Crew,

My story from yesterday isn't as dramatic:

Yesterday I hiked up the 10,441' Pajarito Mountain in New Mexico.  I was
having a lot of fun working 24 stations all over the US and Canada when
I noticed that some monsoon cumulus starting to build.  Sure enough, as
I was wrapping it up, thunder became audible and big fat drops started
to fall.  The lightning got closer and closer as I scurried down the
mountain. Fortunately getting soaked was the only price I payed.

Here is the full write-up:

https://kg6mzs.com/2021/06/20/pajarito-mountain/

73 Eric,KG6MZS

Eric KG6MZS

Thanks Jerry,

Us Southern Californians don't worry about lightning too much.  My "system" at home is to just disconnect the K3 and the AT2K completely.

I did not stop to smell the flowers on the way down.  I was more interested in getting the lightning above me.

Many years ago we did a two week trip in the Brooks Range, Alaska.  Carried ice gear, rock gear and snow gear on top of the 2 weeks provisions.  I didn't weigh my pack, but it was upwards of 50 pounds, I'm sure.  Turns out weather moved in and we were there 18 days - the last three with no food.  That was an adventure.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 6/20/21 9:27 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
[...]

Well the cable company finally got the internet going again.  The lightning protection at the entrance to the house worked and fused to ground to allow a path for the lightning.  When that was replaced we are now back working.  To answer your question Barry, we were home and both on the computer.  The flash and sound we simultaneous, Kathy came running into the radio room very scared.  We talked to our next door neighbors and they had seen the strike from their back porch.  I feel lucky that there was no fire, since there is 10 ga of gas and the lawn tractor in the shed, it would have been a nice explosion I guess.

I managed to fix on the dead computers and one of the TV's, but the IC7410 shows no sign of any damage except that it is deaf.  So I guess depending on what the insurance company will pay for it will either be repaired or sold for parts.

To answer your question Jerry, I have a metal entry panel that all of the coaxes go thru and it is grounded to its own ground rod.  I disconnect all antennas when not in use also.  I guess I might have to do it for the rotor and remote antenna tuner also.

I hope the insurance co will be nice, since they increased our home owners premium by 50% this year and told us we need to replace our 21 year old roof or they will cancel our policy.  That is the nice thing about insurance,  they like taking the money in but don't seem to want to pay it out.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:   Years ago had a Kenwood TS-850SAT which had a dead receiver. Sent it out for repair and was surprised to find it went dead because there was a choke on receiver input that opened up.  Maybe your rig has a similar choke in series with antenna input ???

Worth looking into.

Jerry   n9avy