Topics

Summits on the Air PSK

Eric KG6MZS

Hello All,

I haven't been in the PSK waterfall much this last year because I have become gravely addicted to SOTA.  I keep thinking how much fun it would be to operate PSK on a mountain top.  The problem for me is all the extra gear I would probably need to carry to do that.  I know that some people use a smartphone to operate PSK but that's about the extent of my knowledge there.

Does anybody know of an ultra-lightweight way to operate PSK?

My pack currently runs 24-28 pounds on day trips so it would be great not to add to that too much.  ...or diminish the discretionary funds too much either.

You can check out some of my SOTA activations here if you have any interest:

https://kg6mzs.com/sota-2/

73

Eric

KG6MZS

_._73,Hello _._,_

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

I have used my KX2 for PSK31 during POTA activations. You “type” with CW using the built in keyer, and you read the decoded signal on the LCD display. That is probably one of the smallest solutions.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Jerry N9AVY

Eric:

Think there's a 121-step program for SOTA addiction .  Emoji

Jerry  N9AVY

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 07:45:04 PM CST, Eric KG6MZS <contact@...> wrote:

[...]

Karl,

Great idea!  I've been reluctant to try CW on a summit because of my poor CW skills.  I didn't want to face a machine gun pileup.  PSK via the paddles might be the best way to start.

Thank you!

Eric

KG6MZS

On 3/2/21 6:09 PM, Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645 wrote:

I have used my KX2 for PSK31 during POTA activations. You “type” with CW using the built in keyer, and you read the decoded signal on the LCD display. That is probably one of the smallest solutions.

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Richard Rohrer

Hi Eric,

If you are an Android user there is an app called DroidPSK that runs on any Android device.  It was done by Wolphi LLC  (www.wolphi.com).  He also has an interface that goes between the droid device and the radio.  I purchased on for my FT817 and have tested, but never used in the field.  It was nice to work you during our trip.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Eric KG6MZS

Hey Dick,

Yes, you were a champ to hang in there for me, thank you so much.

Unfortunately KG6MZR and I are all iOS here.  That sounds like a cool idea on the Android side of things.

Thanks again,

Eric

KG6MZS

On 3/3/21 2:07 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
Hi Eric,

If you are an Android user there is an app called DroidPSK that runs on any Android device.  It was done by Wolphi LLC  (www.wolphi.com).  He also has an interface that goes between the droid device and the radio.  I purchased on for my FT817 and have tested, but never used in the field.  It was nice to work you during our trip.

73
Dick - KC3EF

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I've had fun with my FT817 with a WolphiLink to my Galaxy Android phone using a magloop antenna on a couple of expeditions in the past.  It's mostly trading macros due to the small keyboard and fat fingers.

I'm now using an 857 with laptop and SignaLink USB to a inverted vee dipole from a 33 ft camo pole mast or just hung from trees.  Any portable op is a good op.

Dave
KB3RAN

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Barry VA7GEM

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 02:07 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
Hi Eric,

If you are an Android user there is an app called DroidPSK that runs on any Android device.  It was done by Wolphi LLC  (www.wolphi.com).  He also has an interface that goes between the droid device and the radio.  I purchased on for my FT817 and have tested, but never used in the field.  It was nice to work you during our trip.

73
Dick - KC3EF
Dick
Bad news from his website

As of 12/29/2020 the WolphiLink interface will be discontinued.

Richard Rohrer

Hi Dave,

Yes, I agree with you on trying to use DroidPsk on a phone.  I have tried it on a tablet which worked fairly well.  I picked up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my tablet so it was like using a computer.  A couple of years ago, I change over to an ASUS small laptop with a SSD and that is all I use now for my radio computer.  Works fine in the car and for portable use.  Also started using the IC7100 for portable use, since with the deep cycle battery I can push out full power.  Since my portable efforts don't involve carry thing more than from the car to a picnic table the weight is not a problem, hi hi.  I would not want to backpack the stuff like Eric is doing.

Hi Barry, I saw that the link has been discontinued after I posted the information.  The link its self it just an audio interface, but I does work well with the 817 or the 7100.   Have not been able to get my laptop to work well with it, but don't really need it, since the 7100 has usb connection for CAT and audio.   I think the more important thing is software that will run on a smart phone.

73
Dick - KC3EF

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

Yep, I did use it with a lightweight bluetooth keyboard sometimes. That's a bit better.  I don't backpack portable.  I'm more of a picnic table operator.  Even work from the campervan a lot when it's not dry or warm outside.  Fair weather ham, that I am.