Topics

Status

Jim K5SP

This reflector has been quite "busy" over the past few days, and there have been some meaningful discussions among the members.  I would like to provide a status to all the membership of what has/is been taking place over the past couple of months.

Website:

As you are aware, we have somewhat of a crisis with the club website.  The website has many functions relating to membership, endorsements, awards, contests, standings, and a few more items.  These functions intertwine with google docs, and another website hamclubs.info.  ALL of our functions use all of these other sites.

Why is this a problem?  1.  Our domain, podxs070, expires on 1/9/20.  The domain is managed by a member that is no longer able to perform that duty.  We are in the process of getting the domain management changed, and the domain renewed.  This process was drastically slowed by the holidays.
2. Hamclubs.info is not our site, it belongs to KJ4IZW, who due to family and other obligations does not have time to maintain that site.  All our .cgi scripts which interact with our site, google docs, and his site were developed by him, belong to him, and we have no access to them to update/fix bugs, etc.
3. On March 31, the API's used to interface with google docs is being deprecated, and will no longer work.  Almost all of our links will crash, that includes membership applications, endorsements, awards, status, everything.

What is in the works:  David K9DWR is furiously trying to rewrite the software programs that underlie the website.  He has started on the endorsement checker, and will attack the others once he has it working.  We are changing to Python.  If we have any Python programmers, raise your hands and help on this.  Once David has the checker working, he will be able to assign tasks to other programmers.  We would like to eliminate the google docs problem by eventually changing everything to a database. Any database gurus, raise your hands now.  We are fully aware that the likelihood of getting a functioning database in place by the end of March is nearly impossible. So in the interim, we have the problem that we are unsure if KJ4IZW is going to continue letting us use hamclubs.info.  What we need here is new API's to meet the new standards set by google.docs. Any API writers raise your hands.

Contest Scoring:

As many of you are aware, the scorer is broken.  We have had to revert to using a spreadsheet developed by Rick, for the last contest.  We have had a volunteer, but he was unable to score the most recent contest due to a family emergency.  We have had another volunteer step up and is currently working of scoring the most recent contest.  this is a slow process.

Membership:

As membership director, my duties are to process the applications, send the emails with membership details to the new member, send the welcome messages to the group and the new member; maintain the membership spreadsheet (address, email, call sign, and other changes) this includes making sure that if a member changes his call, his number points to both calls.  I also process requests to join Clublog, our two groups.io reflectors.  I do not do mailings of any kind.

Mailings:

Membership packets were mailed by the director, as he had all the materials on hand to perform those duties.  He also did the mailings of all stickers and awards.  Our membership director split some of those dutes up with John KE4JB, but he developed health issues and has dropped from ham radio. When we can get all the envelopes, stamps, funds, sticker templates, from the current individual, mailings will resume, we have volunteers to perform these duties.  The last membership packet mailed was for #2658, if your number is higher than that, your packet will be coming soon.

Club Leadership:

Their will be some changes in the club leadership, when these occur, we will notify all the members with an announcement.

I would like to thank the members that have volunteered to assist with maintaining this fantastic club.  David K9DWR, Stan W9SMR, Rick N7WE, Bill N4GBK, Dick KC3EF, John KG5OIB, Bill KG5RMJ, Dusty W5DP, Richard K4RJD, Milt N6MG, Bob KK6KMU.  And if I missed anyone, my sincere apologies.  Some are standing by for assignments once we have control of the website and software.  Also, a Joomal guru would be welcome, as I am still learning that platform.

Thanks to everyone for making this the greatest club, with the greatest members in ham radio.

Jim K5SP
Membership Director

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Kevin Lyons, K1KL

Nicely done, Jim. Thank you.

Geary McDowell

Thank you to all who are helping keep the PODX club going.  It is a major task and will take many volunteers to keep it great.  The 070 club is the only one I enjoy being a member of and participating in events; as a non-contester, I feel no pressure to be on the radio for contest, so I am there just having fun and BOOM here come endorsements and awards.  I used to develop and maintain several web sites in schools, the school graduated classes, school and family reunions, youth groups, etc.  I have forgotten so much and it has changed so much I am having trouble updating a family craft hobby web site and may drop it.  I have also done mailings for high school reunions every two years.  I found out this past Easter reunion, that was my last one doing that.  Between diabetes for over 30 yrs taking its toll on nerves and now a spine injury, I have withdrawn from everything I used to do other than a local storm team NCS, and that will go away soon probably as some days I do good to get out of bed and the eyes are going really bad thanks to my sweetness and abusing them growing up in the farming industry.  BUT, all this means is his:  I understand the efforts that go into this club, I applaud all who can and will assist.  I am no longer able to reliably be of help, so I won't volunteer and disappoint.  Thank you again to all who do what they do in so many ways to make this club a fun one to be a member of.
God Bless you each and every one,
73, Geary McDowell, KE5IRK