From: gillette789@...
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Nov 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Subject: [070Club] Sprint reply correction

WOW my first contact and W0IZ is correcting my state abbreviation use!!!  Better things to do!!

Buz Johnson

I finally got back on the air at 00:28 after being off because of a lightning strike two days before the last contest.  I gave up on my TS590SG getting it working and will have to send it in to Kenwood for Major repairs.  It appears the com chip is blown and hopefully it didn’t get into the CPU.  It will be 5-6 weeks before I get it back.  So I turned to my old TS440AT and got it going just at contest time.  I also lost due to lightning strike 2 computers and SignaLink, plus my a/c control board.  I ordered a new RigBlaster DXPro and it took a week of service calls before I could get it to play nice with my computer.  Adjusting the ALC is difficult on the ol 440 and it keeping it cool requires a additional outboard fan, but it was great to be back.  I made contacts on all three bands.  See you guys tonight.

Ken N6PCD

GM Buz,

Looks like you’ve probably already sent your radio in for repair, but I’ll offer this suggestion for your consideration if you need repair service in the future. I’ve been VERY happy with Scott Malcolm of Malcom Technical Support and have sent several icom radios to him for repair over the years. He also does Kenwoods.

His work is excellent, his prices are more than fair, and he usually had a good turnaround time. I HIGHLY recommend him!

https://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Stephen Melachrinos

Ken -

Since I have a Kenwood I followed the link (for future reference). Looks like we will both have to find someone else. Top of the web page says:

"11/6/2021
After 40 years of servicing ICOM equipment, it is time for me to retire.
I appreciate the trust and acceptance for so many Amateur Radio owners to allow me to service their radio's over the years, Thank you.
You will not find contact information on this website, as I am not accepting any new customers.
I will be working to complete and finish all projects currently in the shop over the next several months."

Looks like you’ve probably already sent your radio in for repair, but I’ll offer this suggestion for your consideration if you need repair service in the future. I’ve been VERY happy with Scott Malcolm of Malcom Technical Support and have sent several icom radios to him for repair over the years. He also does Kenwoods.

His work is excellent, his prices are more than fair, and he usually had a good turnaround time. I HIGHLY recommend him!

https://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD
070# 801
LONP# 187

Ken N6PCD

Steve,

Oops, my bad! Didn’t think to check the copy on Scott’s website. I just received my 7300 back from him less than a week ago. I’ll look before I leap next time!

Best wishes to Scott for a blessed retirement.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Mike W4BZM

I had a similar encounter with Igor.  I dared to ask him why he was using “PODXC de W0IZ”  to call CQ — certainly a non-standard call that we were supposed to figure out meant “CQ 070 Sprint” as called for in the contest instructions.  Got a stern rebuke that questions should be handled over the Internet, not over the air.  Of course, when you look up his call on QRZ.com, you don’t find any e-mail address — only a diatribe on the “right way” (his way) to participate in a contest if you’re not part of the “predominantly experienced older crowd” using RTTY.

I hope Igor’s attitude hasn’t driven off other PSK-31 operators.  I, for one, enjoy the more laid-back, “have fun” attitude of our PODXS members during contests.  And a couple times, I broke out of contest mode to chew the rag with folks who were new to the mode or had never heard of PODXS 070.  There are more important things in life than racking up contest points.  Let’s all remember the parts of the Amateur Radio Code of Conduct which states the amateur is CONSIDERATE  and FRIENDLY.

Mike W4BZM

JoAnn Donaldson

A couple of months ago, I was rag chewing on PSK with a station. Mentioned the 070 Club, where to find info, and that we have contest and awards. Ran into him a few days ago and he told me he had just got his 070 Number. I congratulated him and told him about the contest. I just happen to work him durn the contest and was glad to see another ham join our ranks. BTW he was call "CQ 070 SPRINT", which is what the Website rules for the contest said to use. Not sure why Igor used a different CQ call but I didn't stop me from working him and then going on to other stations. I too made contact with hams that were not contesting. After exchanging Name, QTH, RST and such, I added them to my contest log. Hopefully those Hams will look up the 070 Club and join our ranks.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 11:34:14 AM CST, Mike W4BZM <behrcave@...> wrote:

[...]

JoAnn and Mike...
Thanks for your input.
The actual contest rules don't say anything about how you can phrase your actual CQ call.
Official rules:
The contest announcement is only a suggestion as to how you can do it.
I add to my CQ macro, "any station anywhere".
My thought is to use my CQ macro to invite responses from non-members.
What you do is up to you totally.
Milt.
N6MG, 070-650
Director-Contests & LONP

[...]

The Triple Play Rules clearly state.

EXCHANGE:  State/Province/Country (SPC).  Call "CQ Ø7Ø Sprint".

JoAnn
AB8YZ