Topics

Spring Road Trip

Richard Rohrer

Looks like we are going to be heading to TX end of Feb, beginning of March for bird watching.  If anyone needs the following grids, let me know:  EL59, EL39, EM51, EM52, EM53, EM33, EM32, and EM31. I would like to get the xyl to go back to EL58, but I don't think I can get her interested, hi hi.  
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Still need EL 59, EL39 & EM33  if y'all get that way.

Jerry   n9avy

On Thursday, January 14, 2021, 02:40:34 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Looks like we are going to be heading to TX end of Feb, beginning of March for bird watching.  If anyone needs the following grids, let me know:  EL59, EL39, EM51, EM52, EM53, EM33, EM32, and EM31. I would like to get the xyl to go back to EL58, but I don't think I can get her interested, hi hi.  
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Leland Sly

I need EL59.  Got all the others.

Lee N5SLY

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Dick:

Still need EL 59, EL39 & EM33  if y'all get that way.

Jerry   n9avy

On Thursday, January 14, 2021, 02:40:34 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Dick,
I need a confirmed sighting on a "pin-tailed whydahs" bird in So Texas.
I have a confirmed sighting on my life list, from Cabinda in West Africa, and I see that there's been accidental sightings in the coastal area's around Galveston.
Just something to keep an eye out for.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm
Subject: [070Club] Spring Road Trip

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I thought you were pulling my leg.  That's one I never heard of.  But I checked it out and you really do need to get this on your TX life list.

Dave
KB3RAN
1692/381

To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Dick,
I need a confirmed sighting on a "pin-tailed whydahs" bird in So Texas.
I have a confirmed sighting on my life list, from Cabinda in West Africa, and I see that there's been accidental sightings in the coastal area's around Galveston.
Just something to keep an eye out for.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Sent: Thu, Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Eric KG6MZS

Dick,

I could use EM52 - maybe more on PSK.  Keep us posted!

Thanks and 73

Eric

KG6MZS

On 1/14/21 12:40 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Rick - N7WE

Put me on the EL59 list Dick...but then you knew that didn't you!  Enjoy the trip and hope you get lots of new ones checked off in your Sibley Guide.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

stan W9SMR

Due in part to successfully contacting you on your previous road trips, I now only need EM33 from your itinerary.

Thank you to you and your wife for continuing this adventuresome spirit!!

Stan
W9SMR

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 3:40 PM

Looks like we are going to be heading to TX end of Feb, beginning of March for bird watching. If anyone needs the following grids, let me know: EL59, EL39, EM51, EM52, EM53, EM33, EM32, and EM31. I would like to get the xyl to go back to EL58, but I don't think I can get her interested, hi hi.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Richard Rohrer

I thought you were being humorous until I looked it up Milt.  Quite a tail.  I have seen scissors tailed flycatchers in TX, but never one of these. 

I have everyone's wants and will kept the group posted on when we are leaving.  Much depends on the situation with Covid.  The xyl and I have had our first Moderna vax and will get the second shot in mid Feb, so we plan on leaving a week after that.  We do take all necessary precautions to keep safe. 

During the home stay I have purchased two new pieces of test equipment.  One is one of the Nanovna's and the tiny spectrum analyzer.  I have been very impressed with both of the units and what they can do.  The Nanovna makes testing antennas really easy and I found it matches my MFJ analyzer pretty closely.  I have used the spectrum analyze to monitor my signal when transmitting.  When I worked in industry these devices cost in the $10k or above range and now they are under $100.  

Jerry hope you get your antennas fixed.  I have had problems with squirrels eating coaxes a couple of times and also eating the gas line to the generator in the RV.  That was much more expensive to have fixed than replacing the coaxes. 

Dick - KC3EF 

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

The ice melted on antennas after a few days.  THe wrire antenna had about 1/2 inch of ice on it.  All seems good now except for 40/80m antenna, but it might be the remote switch which has a problem.

Jerry  n9avy

On Friday, January 15, 2021, 11:50:38 AM EST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

I thought you were being humorous until I looked it up Milt.  Quite a tail.  I have seen scissors tailed flycatchers in TX, but never one of these. 

I have everyone's wants and will kept the group posted on when we are leaving.  Much depends on the situation with Covid.  The xyl and I have had our first Moderna vax and will get the second shot in mid Feb, so we plan on leaving a week after that.  We do take all necessary precautions to keep safe. 

During the home stay I have purchased two new pieces of test equipment.  One is one of the Nanovna's and the tiny spectrum analyzer.  I have been very impressed with both of the units and what they can do.  The Nanovna makes testing antennas really easy and I found it matches my MFJ analyzer pretty closely.  I have used the spectrum analyze to monitor my signal when transmitting.  When I worked in industry these devices cost in the $10k or above range and now they are under $100.  

Jerry hope you get your antennas fixed.  I have had problems with squirrels eating coaxes a couple of times and also eating the gas line to the generator in the RV.  That was much more expensive to have fixed than replacing the coaxes. 

Dick - KC3EF 

Eric KG6MZS

Very cool.  Just purchased one on your recommendation Dick. Looks like a great addition to the Rig Expert and my old MFJ.

Thanks,

Eric

KG6MZS

On 1/15/21 8:50 AM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
During the home stay I have purchased two new pieces of test equipment.  One is one of the Nanovna's and the tiny spectrum analyzer.

Richard Rohrer

HI Eric,

What is nice is that you can run it by computer and save the plots.  I did a sweep of all of my antennas and have saved them, so if I think something has changed I can compare with the older information.  

There are a lot of youtube videos on all of things you can do with it.  There are two groups on groups.io that also have lots of information.  

Jerry glad to hear the ice is off the antenna, a problem we don't have in FL, hi hi.  Hope you get the remote switch fixed.  

Dick - KC3EF

Stephen KO4CVU

Could you share your source for the tiny spectrum analyzer, please?
--
Stephen, KO4CVU

Stephen Melachrinos

Stephen -

I'm sure Dick thought it was clear enough, but I guess it's not if you haven't been following developments in the "crowd-sourced" world, it isn't.

Google "tiny spectrum analyzer" and the first few hits are something called the tinySA. It was designed by the same person as the NanoVNA, and uses much of the same design framework from what I can see.

The tinySA is even available on Amazon (though a third-party seller):

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-TinySA-Spectrum-Frequency-Generator/dp/B08FB5XT7B

Steve
W3HF

Sent: Sat, Jan 16, 2021 8:56 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] Spring Road Trip

Could you share your source for the tiny spectrum analyzer, please?
--
Stephen, KO4CVU

Richard Rohrer

Hi Stephen,

I purchased from R&L Electronics in Ohio.  Decided to buy from an American dealer instead of Chinese company.  Ordered week before Xmas and it arrived in 3 days, no shipping delays.  Not a lab quality instrument, but seems to work fairly well.  Several good youtube videos on how to use it.  The developer, I believe in Dutch, also has a series of how to use videos on his web site. 

Dick - KC3EF  

Barry VA7GEM

Dick
My needs list is getting shorter TVM to you.
I still need EL58, EL59, & EM33.
HNY to both of you
Barry

Stephen KO4CVU

Dick,
Thank you! I will check it out.

--
Stephen, KO4CVU

Please remember: hands, face, space and ventilate!