Spotting for the weekend

With all the activities planned for the weekend, is there a plan for sending spots.  There should be action on the WARC bands and the bands that are seldom used.  It would be nice to know when someone tries 10 m or 6 m.

John
KC3FL

Jerry N9AVY

I might suggest that spots simply be put in the HEADING of any message sent to group because some newer members may not be anywhere else to see the posts.

I know that often, someone will change a subject without changing the HEADING of post and that should be a big no-no.

This should be an all-inclusive group and not make newer members feel left out by having to download some obscure URL to be included.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Jerry  n9avy #454

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 12:18:31 PM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

With all the activities planned for the weekend, is there a plan for sending spots.  There should be action on the WARC bands and the bands that are seldom used.  It would be nice to know when someone tries 10 m or 6 m.

John
KC3FL

Guys 30 meters would be my first choice. Just my opinion.

--
Dave NU4N #1657 73's

Rick - N7WE

In addition to hunting APEs, I plan to make a run at the WARC-CRAWL - 12, 17, & 30.  I will post to this group which WARC band I'm on when CRAWLing.    It is doubtful I will get a /P station together to do a Chimp Chase this time around.  But if I do, I'll self-spot to this group too.

Recently I've seen some APE spots on the contest group.  Certainly not a problem if you want to spot on the contest group, but I think the membership will be mostly watching this group and not everyone on this group is subscribed to the contest group.  Since this is not an 070 contest weekend, may I suggest we all spot on this group?

Jerry, I have re-read this email three times, and it does not make any sense.

What do you mean newer members may not be anywhere else to see the posts?  The posts only go to this reflector, and only members see them.  If any member decides not to join the reflector they will not see the posts no matter where they are.

And, what obscure URL are you talking about?  As stated above, this reflector is our only way of communicating to the entire membership, and if they aren't a member of the reflector, then that is on them!  All new members get an email with directions on joining both the 070 Club reflectors.  It is their decision whether or not to subscribe.

Jim K5SP

On 8/19/2021 12:46 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
[...]

Jim,  K5SP #483

Mike W4BZM

Jim, I’d drill a little deeper into the statement that “this reflector I our only way of communicating to the entire membership”.  We have the choice, on the 070club.groups site, to communicate via either “Messages” or “Chats”.
     The easy, default method seems to be “Messages”, which go out as e-mails to all club members who subscribe, but not necessarily in real time.  Some of our members (myself included) choose to get only a daily summary of the messages rather than a constant onslaught of e-mail throughout the day.  As a result, messages of “I’m on 30 meters now” and “Just talked to K3xxx” are overcome by events since they arrive much too late to be of use.
     It seems to me that the “Chat” feature of the reflector would be a much better candidate for real-time coordination of QSOs.  Yes, it involves the effort of launching a browser and going to  070club.groups (all that takes is a bookmark) and then calling up chats to see who is active, or establishing a new chat room if you want to be more specific (e.g., a particular POTA or APE).   How tough is that?  It would keep a lot of what I call “QSO chatter” off the e-mail traffic so that can be devoted to club announcements, new member welcomes, and other more long-term issues.  (I see that you, Lee, John, and others have used Chats before, but I’m not sure all our members are aware of it.)
     As always, just a suggestion.

Mike W4BZM