Special Event the next two days... Buckingham Army Airfield

Tom

Hello “Group,”

I will be on 20 and possibly 40, for the next two mid-days as W4LX, to participate in the Buckingham Airfield Special Event.

Approximately 50,000 bomber gunners were trained at Buckingham Army Airfield during WW2.  They flew mostly in B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators.

Please drop by and visit when you see me on the waterfall in PSK-31. Thanks.  There is a Certificate available for a completed QSO.

Blessings and 73s,

Tom – KM4LPW

PODXS 070 #2826

Check it out: Buckingham Army Airfield Special Event | FMARC

Jim K5SP

Saw you on this afternoon, guess you could not copy me.  Maybe tomorrow.

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Tom

I should start about  9 AM Eastern.

Tom – KM4LPW

On 3/23/2021 5:11 PM, Tom wrote:

Hello “Group,”

I will be on 20 and possibly 40, for the next two mid-days as W4LX, to participate in the Buckingham Airfield Special Event.

Approximately 50,000 bomber gunners were trained at Buckingham Army Airfield during WW2.  They flew mostly in B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators.

Please drop by and visit when you see me on the waterfall in PSK-31. Thanks.  There is a Certificate available for a completed QSO.

Blessings and 73s,

Tom – KM4LPW

PODXS 070 #2826

Check it out: Buckingham Army Airfield Special Event | FMARC

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Don - KM4UDX

I am please to report that (a) I read the email in time to do something about it, (b) my radio was working, (c) I was working, (d) and I found Tom and we had a great QSO.

What a thrill to talk to Buckingham Airfield. Thank you Tom very much for setting the special event station up. You made my day, and that was before I had my coffee.

Oh, Tom mentioned that I was the second uBITX radio type to contact him, so the Team uBITX is out and about, I'm pleased to report. Go 10 watts go! hahah.

Also, I got some screen gabs of w4lx on the water fall. I have no way to reduce RF gain, beyond turning down the volume (yea, a simple radio!). But this was a hot signal into Northern Virginia.

--
Don, km4udx, uBITX

Rick - N7WE

I see other stations working Tom, and a bit of a trace when he replies.  Not enough to decode however.  I'm on a vertical and it has low angle reception so I guess I'm in the "cone of silence."  Sorry Tom, I would have liked to work you!  On the other hand, Italy and Poland are booming in.  You don't always get what you want, and you don't always want what you get.  So true when it comes to propagation!

Barry VA7GEM

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 07:14 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
I see other stations working Tom, and a bit of a trace when he replies.  Not enough to decode however.  I'm on a vertical and it has low angle reception so I guess I'm in the "cone of silence."  Sorry Tom, I would have liked to work you!  On the other hand, Italy and Poland are booming in.  You don't always get what you want, and you don't always want what you get.  So true when it comes to propagation!
Rick
I just want to add that sometimes you also get exactly what you expect.
Waterfall is empty here. Not even showing the rain I can hear on the roof.
cheers
Barry

Rick,
We're too close.  I could hardly copy him on the vertical but he was 559 on the beam but he couldn't cpy me.  Funny thing about it was if I pointed the beam at him I could hardly cpy him, but turned away from him, I had a good cpy on him.  Maybe long path.  hi hi
John
KC3FL

Jim K5SP

Hey John,

Congrats on achieving LONP550 level with the >2786 submission.

On 3/24/2021 9:59 AM, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:

Rick,
We're too close.  I could hardly copy him on the vertical but he was 559 on the beam but he couldn't cpy me.  Funny thing about it was if I pointed the beam at him I could hardly cpy him, but turned away from him, I had a good cpy on him.  Maybe long path.  hi hi
John
KC3FL

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Chuck M

I got lucky and was able to have a short psk31 QSO with Tom.  Now just need to get my fingers busy with sending out the SASE to get the QSL card and certificate.

thanks
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 11:17:52 AM EDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Hey John,

Congrats on achieving LONP550 level with the >2786 submission.

On 3/24/2021 9:59 AM, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:

Rick,
We're too close.  I could hardly copy him on the vertical but he was 559 on the beam but he couldn't cpy me.  Funny thing about it was if I pointed the beam at him I could hardly cpy him, but turned away from him, I had a good cpy on him.  Maybe long path.  hi hi
John
KC3FL

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Bill

Saw him in Louisiana but was unable to work him along with 2 other stations did manage to work another 070 Member
Bill
WF9M

On March 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM "John - KC3FL via groups.io" <kc3fl@...> wrote:

Rick,
We're too close.  I could hardly copy him on the vertical but he was 559 on the beam but he couldn't cpy me.  Funny thing about it was if I pointed the beam at him I could hardly cpy him, but turned away from him, I had a good cpy on him.  Maybe long path.  hi hi
John
KC3FL

Tom

Hi John,

I did see you several times - KC3FL.  I REALLY did try.  I may be back on for a few hours, tomorrow (end of event about 2 PM).  I fried my logging computer in the middle of today and it’s at Best Buy for transfer to a new one.  I really needed the new one.

God Bless and 73,

Tom – KM4LPW

Saw him in Louisiana but was unable to work him along with 2 other stations did manage to work another 070 Member
Bill
WF9M

On March 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM "John - KC3FL via groups.io" <kc3fl@...> wrote:

Rick,
We're too close.  I could hardly copy him on the vertical but he was 559 on the beam but he couldn't cpy me.  Funny thing about it was if I pointed the beam at him I could hardly cpy him, but turned away from him, I had a good cpy on him.  Maybe long path.  hi hi
John
KC3FL

Tom

Thanks for trying Rick..