Topics

Signalink USB

Stephen Melachrinos

I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

I started out with a Rigblaster. Too many cables, so a few years ago ordered the Signalink USB, have not had a problem with it at all, and if this one ever quits will be getting another one.

The TX level pot is sometimes a little quirky, but i rarely ever have to touch it

Jim K5SP

On Dec 26, 2020 12:31 PM, "Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io" <melachri@...> wrote:
I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

Jim,  K5SP #483

Alan Sorum WL7CG

Steve,

I have two of them, one on my FT-950 at home and the other with a FT-891 I use for portable ops. Never have had any issues with them, they always works as needed. I see them for sale on QRZ from time to time. Good luck.

73 Alan WL7CG

On 12/26/20 9:31 AM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

The Grid and Prefix Awards Program - GAPA
http://gapaawards.com https://groups.io/g/GAPA

Scotty W7PSK

Wish I had not got rid of my Signalink :(.

On 12/26/2020 10:42, Jim K5SP wrote:
[...]

Everett, Washington
070 #138

Alex Vincer

Steve W3HF,

I have a Signalink USB and I love it. I couldn’t get it working for a while because I had not read the jumper instructions carefully enough and had the jumpers in the wrong position for the Data port on my Yaesu FT-450D. Once I figured that out everything has worked great.

Good luck and 73,

Alex KD9MGA

--

Alex Vincer
acvincer@...

Fr Richard R

I like me signalink.
Simple easy to use.

Wb8yxf
Fr Richard

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 13:58, Alex Vincer
<acvincer@...> wrote:
[...]

KB1NAL

  I've been using a SignaLink USB for the past 10 plus yrs, without any issues.
Use it for all my digital modes on VHF and HF..  I'ts interfaced with an IC-746PRO
and an old HP Pavilion running WIN 10 OS.  Greatly designed and   built
device.  You will NOT be disappointed..

73 de Lee KB1NAL

David, K9DWR

* Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri=verizon.net@groups.io> [2020-12-26 18:31]:
One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have
any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not
sure their concerns are relevant.  How about anything else? What have I
missed?
I've had my SignaLink for about 7 years now and have never had an issue with
it. They aren't cheap, but they are solid. The main thing I've seen in my
setup was needing to choke the USB cable to avoid RFI. I've only used it with
Kenwood radios, and needed to jumper the gain up for one of the radios (the
TS-440), but that's all documented and easy to do.

I have no problem recommending one.

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

JEFF WALSH

Steve
Been using a Signalink for years with no problems.
Jeff
W3WMU

On Dec 26, 2020, at 1:10 PM, KB1NAL via groups.io <kb1nal@...> wrote:

  I've been using a SignaLink USB for the past 10 plus yrs, without any issues.
Use it for all my digital modes on VHF and HF..  I'ts interfaced with an IC-746PRO
and an old HP Pavilion running WIN 10 OS.  Greatly designed and   built
device.  You will NOT be disappointed..

73 de Lee KB1NAL

KC9SEB / 070: #1579 / 10:10: #76773 / EPC: 19755

Would highly recommend it; I used it along with an FT450D for the longest time. I switched to an IC-7300 about a year ago and no longer needed it and sold it on (still second guessing on that decision). I also did a modification to add a 100K resistor in place of the mic "jumper" as described here - https://wd8rif.com/radio_manuals/pdf/TigerTronics-Cables-Rev22.pdf to alleviate the issue @K5SP mentions around the "quirky" TX Pot.....

73 de Paul @KC9SEB

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

Seems like many ops are Signalink USB these days. Judging from comments received (brag lists) over the air. Signalink has sold thousands (millions?) of units. I switch from West Mountain interface a few years ago and opted for the Signalink.

Since it has built-in sound card, you are freeing up computer from extra work and as we all should know, "not all sound cards are alike".

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, December 26, 2020, 12:31:33 PM CST, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

Adam Mercier, KM7N #1310

I’ve never heard any complaints about the Signalink, but I’m a Rigblaster guy.  I have 3 Rigblaster Plug and Play devices-2 in the shack paired with an Icom 707 and a Yaesu FT-857, and one in my portable ops bag for my FT-817.  Never had a single problem using multiple computers.  Just as the name says, they’re Plug and Play.  You plug them in and the just work.

Adam, KM7N

On Dec 26, 2020, at 11:31, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

Steve-
Never tried Signalink.  I have always used microHAM since I got into digital - first the USB II and now the USB III.  They are a little more expensive than the Signalink, but the big plus for me is that they do full CAT with no additonal hardware or cables, which I don't think the Signalink can do.  The only control I touch on either my K3 or FT897 is power on/off...everything else is done with HRD/DM780 via the computer.  The good news is that the FT897, FT857, and the FT817 all use the same interface-to-rig cable and jumper configuration.  So no rejiggering to switch radios.  Just the three rig side breakout connectors on the DB-15 cable - miniDIN6, miniDIN8, and 3.5mm stereo plug to unplug/plug.

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I've  been using a SignaLink USB for many years and find it very adequate with my Yeasu 817 and 857 at home and portable.  Have 2 of them so keep one in the camper as a duplicate station like my home station.

Dave
KB3RAN
1692/381
APE Event Manager

I made a comment in my "goals" for 2021 that I was looking to upgrade my computer-radio interface for portable operations. Intent is to simplify the setup by reducing the cabling, and retire a 20-year-old Rascal and its associated USB-serial converter. Radios to be addressed are both Yaesus (817 and 857)--not looking for a new radio. At the moment, I'm only interested in basic digital modes, e.g. I don't need a quadrature output on the stereo pins. I'm also interested in portability, so desktop-type solutions (e.g., large boxes) would not be preferred.

One of the options I was considering was the Signalink USB. Does anyone have any comments on this? I've seen some reviews that are critical, but I'm not sure their concerns are relevant.

How about anything else? What have I missed?

Thanks.

Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

The Majority has spoken - you get a Signalink !   Emoji

On Saturday, December 26, 2020, 03:23:07 PM CST, DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 via groups.io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you to all who shared. That was very helpful.

Some things that weren't clear in my question factored into the decision:

- I am not looking (at least not now) for rig control.
- I am looking for something with a built-in sound card, so all connections (PTT and the in/out audio) are via the single USB cable.

I had read some reviews that were so-so, but I have more confidence in the opinions of the club, and they are overwhelmingly positive. So a Signalink USB will be my new interface for future portable operations.

Thanks again.

Doc

S-L !!! No menues to mess up !!De W8KQ

On 12/26/2020 7:25 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
Thank you to all who shared. That was very helpful.

Some things that weren't clear in my question factored into the decision:

- I am not looking (at least not now) for rig control.
- I am looking for something with a built-in sound card, so all connections (PTT and the in/out audio) are via the single USB cable.

I had read some reviews that were so-so, but I have more confidence in the opinions of the club, and they are overwhelmingly positive. So a Signalink USB will be my new interface for future portable operations.

Thanks again.

Lauri Lundgren

You're going to need at least 2 cables.  The USB cable is between the SignaLink and the computer, and then you'll need a cable from the SignaLink to the radio.

Richard Rohrer

Hi Steve,

I also used a Signallink USB for many years with my IC7000 and FT817.  Most of the concerns I have seen is that it is not a sensitive as some believe it should be, like maybe on 1.0 db instead of 1.2 db.  Always could copy anything I could hear.  Used it for all digital modes.  The only reason I got rid of it, was when mobile it was one more box to find a place for.  When I got my IC7100 no longer need it. After I sold it I did have some second thoughts that I should have kept for a backup.  I had a problem with setting up on my FT817 and called tech support and they were great in helping me out.  The kind of support that it would be nice if every vendor had.

My 2 cents

Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

I'll second Dick's comment on "if I could hear it, I could work it".  Sensitivity has never been a problem. However, one does need a decent receiver and antenna system.

Jerry  n9avy