Topics

schedules for other bands

John Hendry KG5OIB

Would anyone be interested in setting unofficial schedules for working bands other than 20?
I know I use 20 as my go-to band for PSK, but I would love to get some calls on other bands especially since the solar cycle is starting to kick in.
But its frustrating to go over to 17, or 30 or 15 .... and just see crickets on the waterfall.

Like this morning... I see about 8 signals on 20, but didn't see anything on the other frequencies.

So, any thoughts on this?

73

John

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

malcolm heard

Sounds  good to me

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 8:59 AM John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in setting unofficial schedules for working bands other than 20?
I know I use 20 as my go-to band for PSK, but I would love to get some calls on other bands especially since the solar cycle is starting to kick in.
But its frustrating to go over to 17, or 30 or 15 .... and just see crickets on the waterfall.

Like this morning... I see about 8 signals on 20, but didn't see anything on the other frequencies.

So, any thoughts on this?

73

John

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...
402.202.3853

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Jim K5SP

That's a great idea, similar to those attempting to achieve the 24/7.

Let me know when and I'll be there, however we may be too close to even see each other.

Jim K5SP

On Nov 27, 2020 8:59 AM, John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in setting unofficial schedules for working bands other than 20?
I know I use 20 as my go-to band for PSK, but I would love to get some calls on other bands especially since the solar cycle is starting to kick in.
But its frustrating to go over to 17, or 30 or 15 .... and just see crickets on the waterfall.

Like this morning... I see about 8 signals on 20, but didn't see anything on the other frequencies.

So, any thoughts on this?

73

John

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

Jim,  K5SP #483

I'll give it a shot.  I worked a German station abt a week ago on 20 and he asked me to try 17.  He was a better copy on 17.  We tried 15 but no go.  The SFI was in the 80's not like the 106 today.
John
KC3FL

John Hendry KG5OIB

i'm on 17 meters right now.  It may be too late in the day (00:00Z), but band still seems to be up.

JH

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

What frequency on 17m ????

Jerry

On Friday, November 27, 2020, 06:09:45 PM CST, John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:

i'm on 17 meters right now.  It may be too late in the day (00:00Z), but band still seems to be up.

JH

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

Geary McDowell

I would like to work other bands too, thanks to a spine injury I never know from day to day if I’ll be able to get on air or not.  If a “tentative”  or similar schedule ends up available I would try to participate as I need to tweak antennas before I get to where I can no longer do that.  And it would be fun to work more on other bands!
Geary, KE5IRK
Lawton, OKLA

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 9:12 AM malcolm heard <heardmalcolm2017@...> wrote:
Sounds  good to me

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 8:59 AM John Hendry KG5OIB <archer@...> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in setting unofficial schedules for working bands other than 20?
I know I use 20 as my go-to band for PSK, but I would love to get some calls on other bands especially since the solar cycle is starting to kick in.
But its frustrating to go over to 17, or 30 or 15 .... and just see crickets on the waterfall.

Like this morning... I see about 8 signals on 20, but didn't see anything on the other frequencies.

So, any thoughts on this?

73

John

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Don - KM4UDX

This is so frustrating. My uBITX is on the bench 'cause i blew up the two IRF510 MOSFETS and a few other parts.  The finals were crybabies and went all Chernobyl on me due to so called "operator error" and my failure to understand understand the interplay of heat and time.  Hahahah.  So the uBITX is on the bench waiting for kids to go home.

And now is a great time to play radio and I'm dead in the water. Ahhhhh.
--
Don, km4udx

Stephen KO4CVU

To paraphrase Tennyson,
‘Tis better to have PSK’ed and burnt out than never to have PSK’ed at all.

Stephen, KO4CVU

Stephen Melachrinos

Bummer. Back about 15 years ago I fried the finals on my FT-817. Fortunately I had another rig, but hadn't gotten around to setting up the interface for PSK. The dead finals gave me the incentive.

My problem was "snow static." (That really is a "thing." Someone even wrote a paper about harvesting that power last year.) Unbeknownst to me, one of my dipole antennas had fallen onto the ground, and snow was falling. Even though I wasn't using that antenna, it was still connected to my antenna switch. I figure that one arm of the dipole picked up enough charge from the snow to exceed the breakdown voltage of the 817's finals (which are known to be susceptible to that kind of failure).

I hope you get your rig back on the air soon.