Topics

PSK Assist

Chris Madairy

Good day everyone,

I had hoped to work the 80m sprint last night, but we got called out so I didn't have a chance.  Next time!  I need to get my 100 PODXS member contacts for my LONP!

I have a question in regards to ALC and am having difficulty finding locating the answer in the inter-web.   Should the ALC be set to zero for PSK?

Thanks and have a great day.

Chris, AK3B

--
Chris, AK3B

Jim K5SP

Yes, ALC should be at 0, or turned off.   Here is a link to some tips for PSK: http://www.arrl.org/news/10-tips-for-the-psk31-digital-mode

Jim K5SP

On 9/6/2020 8:54 AM, Chris Madairy wrote:
Good day everyone,

I had hoped to work the 80m sprint last night, but we got called out so I didn't have a chance.  Next time!  I need to get my 100 PODXS member contacts for my LONP!

I have a question in regards to ALC and am having difficulty finding locating the answer in the inter-web.   Should the ALC be set to zero for PSK?

Thanks and have a great day.

Chris, AK3B

--
Chris, AK3B

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Executive Director/Member Services Director

Rick - N7WE

There is an exception that I know of.  If you are running an Elecraft K3, K3S, KX2, or KX3 they use a different method of power/ALC control.  The proper setting for these rigs on digital modes is 4 bars of ALC showing, 5th bar flickering.  Don't know if this applies to the new K4 or not.  Details here. http://www.w3fpr.com/download_files/Digital%20modes.pdf

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Here is another website that might help'

http://n4ser.org/2014/psk-assure-clean-signal/

For those rigs that don't have an ALC meter, zero ALC is just past the point where the rf out starts to drop as you decrease audio drive.

John
KCeFL

Stephen Melachrinos

Rick -

Another exception is the Yaesu FT817. When I adjusted it to zero ALC, I had no power out. "One bar" of ALC resulted in full power output, almost five watts! Multiple bars of ALC caused distortion. I don't remember what the setting was for the 857.

I think the message is that the ALC indicators on different brands of radios mean different things, so there really isn't "one size that fits all." Unless you can find someone with exactly the same setup as yours, it's best to calibrate with on-the-air signal reports. These should be when you have a decent signal path (so S/N isn't degraded) and with a station that can tell the difference between overloading of his receiver and distortion in your transmitter.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Sep 6, 2020 10:34 am
Subject: Re: [070Club] PSK Assist

There is an exception that I know of.  If you are running an Elecraft K3, K3S, KX2, or KX3 they use a different method of power/ALC control.  The proper setting for these rigs on digital modes is 4 bars of ALC showing, 5th bar flickering.  Don't know if this applies to the new K4 or not.  Details here. http://www.w3fpr.com/download_files/Digital%20modes.pdf

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

I know with my ICOM 7200 the audio input levels are different for the different bands.  I need more audio input at 40 meters than 20 meters.  I'm always checking my ALC meter. 

Bob KK6KMU

Richard Rohrer

I have found on my IC7410 and IC7100 that I need one bar showing for full power out.  As Bob mentioned it does change with what band I am operating. Seems like the higher frequencies, 20 and above, need less audio input than the lower frequencies, 30 and down.  I made a chart of what my audio input setting should be and try to remember to set the audio when I change bands.  Since the PSKMeters are hard to find, I use a SDR receiver with Fldigi to check my signal.  I saw a Youtube video on how to set up with a scope, but have not done that as of yet.  

I also noticed that my FT817ND need at least one bar of ALC or there is no output.  

I missed the 80 sprint, as we are working in MD and I don't have an 80mtr antenna for the van.  

Dick - KC3EF