PSK31 Kent County, Delaware - REPORT

stephen shearer

Group, I am sad to say the station did not get on the air...

The cold and wind made functioning outside of a tent difficult.  20's F and 30 MPH gusts was difficult on Saturday.  I "should" have put (tried) to get the long wire up on Friday.  I only made it to camp as the sun was setting...

The problem with the antenna... I was going to toss a line over the pavilion to pull up a longwire.  The pavilion is large and the roof would not allow the line to slide the weighted tennis ball to the other side...  The wind helped but also made the cold bitter.  I thought I could hand toss the ball.  I do use a surf fishing pole with success, no room in 4x4.

In hind sight, my BuddiPole vertical would have worked (if I took it) and pre-tuned.  I "think" staking it down would have worked.  My Spider Beam 12m pole could have been lashed to one of the heavy picnic tables (Sunday "what if" discussion).  I had thought about the Spider Beam mast connected to the building, but attachment points are almost non-existent (vs room in 4x4 to take what I might need).

I will try Winter FD from Home.  Wilmington, DE...
I will be back at Akridge Scout Camp again.  This was our (Fred and I) last Akridge Campmaster weekend of the year.
I'll be at Rodney Scout Reservation (MD) in March...  Yes, with radio and a good attachment point to the (heated) building.

The Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6-man Tent is NOT a Four Season tent...(note below)  I had an older 4-man and it had a small screened vent at the top of the tent.  The 6-man (3-5 years old - the design may have changed) has THREE LARGE screened vents in the upper part of the tent (under the full fly).  WHEN THE WIND WAS BLOWING...  you could feel the COLD air inside.  I suspect the lawyers had something to do with the design... Since the pavilion has electricity, I used an electric space heater.  In the wind, 45F inside.  Sunday morning (no wind) 65F inside...  The Tent IS rock solid in the wind, though.  I would like to be the one to decide how much venting is needed.  Yes, I will write a review.

Yes, Ham Radio is an experiment...  (learn from the failures) 73, Steve WB3LGC

Note:

"A time-tested, field-proven classic built to withstand nature's most extreme conditions, Cabela's® Alaskan Guide Model® Geodesic 6-Person Tent offers true 4-season protection. Giving outdoorsmen the benefits of 25 years of Alaskan field testing and improvements, the tent's state-of-the-art geodesic shape, unique 7-pole system, and rugged fabrics handle strong winds that would crush lesser tents. "  https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-6-person-tent

On 1/20/21 12:38 PM, stephen shearer via groups.io wrote:

Group,

This weekend (The evening of Jan 22nd to the Morning of Jan 24th - EST) I will be in Camden, DE.
I will be camping for the weekend at Akridge Scout Camp and operating QRP PSK31 most likely on 80, 40, and 20m.

I will be using the club call NR3I in order to collect 50 QSO's...

FM29fd

I will be uploading to LoTW.  renew required, first.

I may also operate the RTTY contest, some.

73, Steve WB3LGC #2814

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I'll look for you on Winter Field Day.  I'll be working from southern Maryland.  Sorry about your antenna woes.

Dave H
KB3RAN

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

Jerry N9AVY

Portable operation in the Northern areas is not a great idea for us Northerners.  Too darn cold - Brrr !  Southerners fair a bit better in their warmer cimate.  Maybe there should be a Hurricane Field Day for down South to add some challenge ?  Emoji

Jerry   Emoji

onday, January 25, 2021, 08:41:51 AM CST, DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 via groups.io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

[...]

You lead a sheltered life...Stuck out tongue winking eye
There are "Hurricane Field Day's" every time there's a hurricane.
Hams in the hurricane belt, for the most part, are always prepared.
For some reason, beyond my meteorological understanding, those hurricanes round that northwest corner of Cuba and just lock on to the New Orleans VORTAC, and here they come!
Milt.
N6MG
ex WB5YQK
ex KB5AS
070-650
LONP #76

[...]

Guess I've been watching too many disaster movies lately... and some movies that weren't , but tuirned out that way, hi ! hi !

Jerry

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 10:39:54 AM CST, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick - N7WE

Don't know of any Hurricane Field Days, but there sure are Hurricane "Hunker Down and Don't Be Goin' Out" Days!  Just sayin' from central Florida - Hi HI!

Rick...
Remember Camille back in 1969?
It hit the Gulf coast with gusts to 230 mph... *Sustained at 185 mph.
Katrina in 2005 was sustained of 185 also.
Sadly, I have lifelong friends in my home town of New Orleans that lost absolutely everything that wasn't in a bank account.
Personally, I own(ed) property in New Orleans East, that totally disappeared. Where did it go? Who owns it now? I suppose the insurance company.
Milt.
N6MG

* Definition of Sustained: Same velocity for 1 minute duration. This eliminates "gusts".

Don't know of any Hurricane Field Days, but there sure are Hurricane "Hunker Down and Don't Be Goin' Out" Days!  Just sayin' from central Florida - Hi HI!

stephen shearer

As I get older...  even ARRL FD is getting too HOT for me.   There may be one year in 10+ that is nice.  I may have to start operating at night (I do like my sleep).  steve

On 1/25/21 9:53 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Portable operation in the Northern areas is not a great idea for us Northerners.  Too darn cold - Brrr !  Southerners fair a bit better in their warmer cimate.  Maybe there should be a Hurricane Field Day for down South to add some challenge ?  Emoji

Jerry   Emoji

Jerry N9AVY

Same here ARRL FD is too hot for me most years.  With health problems of last 2 years participation has been nil. Even getting on from home station is getting to be a chore.

jerry  n9avy

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:44:47 PM CST, stephen shearer <sm.shearer.01@...> wrote:

As I get older...  even ARRL FD is getting too HOT for me.   There may be one year in 10+ that is nice.  I may have to start operating at night (I do like my sleep).  steve

On 1/25/21 9:53 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Portable operation in the Northern areas is not a great idea for us Northerners.  Too darn cold - Brrr !  Southerners fair a bit better in their warmer cimate.  Maybe there should be a Hurricane Field Day for down South to add some challenge ?  Emoji

Jerry   Emoji

Jim K5SP

Turning 77 in March seems like every day is either too hot or too cold!

It now takes me all day to do things I used to be able to do all day. All my doctors end in ologist. Cardiologist, hematologist, ophthalmologist, dermatologist.

On Jan 25, 2021 12:55 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Same here ARRL FD is too hot for me most years.  With health problems of last 2 years participation has been nil. Even getting on from home station is getting to be a chore.

jerry  n9avy

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:44:47 PM CST, stephen shearer <sm.shearer.01@...> wrote:

As I get older...  even ARRL FD is getting too HOT for me.   There may be one year in 10+ that is nice.  I may have to start operating at night (I do like my sleep).  steve

On 1/25/21 9:53 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Portable operation in the Northern areas is not a great idea for us Northerners.  Too darn cold - Brrr !  Southerners fair a bit better in their warmer cimate.  Maybe there should be a Hurricane Field Day for down South to add some challenge ?  Emoji

Jerry   Emoji

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

stan W9SMR

Jim, PODXS Executive Director:

But now you are our PODXSologist and we look to you to cure everything!!

We will, of course follow your prescriptions as directed!

73 and TU for all you do!!

Stan,
W9SMR

On Monday, January 25, 2021, 12:44:47 PM CST, stephen shearer <sm.shearer.01@gmail.com> wrote:

As I get older... even ARRL FD is getting too HOT for me. There may be one year in 10+ that is nice. I may have to start operating at night (I do like my sleep). steve

On 1/25/21 9:53 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Portable operation in the Northern areas is not a great idea for us Northerners. Too darn cold - Brrr ! Southerners fair a bit better in their warmer cimate. Maybe there should be a Hurricane Field Day for down South to add some challenge ? [Emoji]

Jerry [Emoji]

--
Jim, K5SP #483

Ron Bosch

Jerry,
I am only 57, but down here in Houston I feel like I need a Herpetologist, because when I go outside in the winter and it's sunny and nice, all I want to do is lay on a flat rock and take a nap, and when I go outside in the summer all I want to do is hide in the shade and bite people :-)

Ron
KE4DRF

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:33 PM stan W9SMR <robinstan@...> wrote:
[...]

When it's sunny & nice here in Illinois in the Winter the flat rocks are sub zero and covered with snow.  At 75 years, the wx has to be around 60-70 F for me to want to go outside.

Jerry