Proper adjustment of audio levels for transmit

David M (AJ4TF)

I set the RF power to whatever I want the output to be. Typically less than 50W, or lower, if I'm not working a DX station.

In general, the higher the audio drive, the higher the S/N ratio of what your're putting into the radio. But not too high, as clipping on the input by the ALC will cause intermod.

I'm not saying that your method won't work. I guess I should have made that clearer.

As licensed amateurs, we are responsible for knowing what we are putting out on our antennas when we key our transmitters. The more we know about how our rigs work, the better.

--- In 070@yahoogroups.com, Ld Rockne <pops435@...> wrote:

When you say " adjusting for max input without ALC limiting."  I assume yuou mean Audio Drive. That being said, where is your R.F. Power out set? My R.F. Power Out is adjusted
(currently) to 100 Watts. My Audo Drive is adjusted for a 20 Watt output indication on
my Wattmeter.

I cannot adjust my Jupiter as in the YouTube video without my ALC 'Light' being
ON steady. I know by experience this is not good. hi

Larry WA7HDZ #404