PODXS made ARRL Contest letter !

Jerry N9AVY

Some recognition is better than none.  PODXS is mentioned twice in the letter. Hopefully we'll get more stations  (new members) to work !

Jerry  n9avy #454

PODXS 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint, Jul 3, 2000z to Jul 4, 2000z; PSK31; Bands: 40m Only; RST + (state/province/country); Logs due July 11

Ray Clements

We need to get PSK stations on the air both old and new.

My station has been off the air for over a year. I had to disconnect my antennas due to a lot of renovation on the house. With the last job completed, I was able to reconnect the antenna. When I turn on the radio, the first thing I do is check all the PSK watering holes from 40 meters up to 10 meters, including WARC bands. Over the past week, I have seen only a couple of PSK signals on the water fall. After checking PSK, I check all the RTTY frequencies. I have seen only a single RTTY signal and it was too weak to copy.

Since PSK and RTTY were not viable modes, I started up the WSJT-X software and looked for FT8 signals. I was able to make dozens of FT8 contacts on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, and 10m. The contacts included Europe, South and Central America, Caribbean islands, Japan, and many USA and Canada stations. After being off the air for an extended period, being able to make contacts was fun.

If I check PSKreporter.info, the map for the past hour only shows 11 PSK monitors. Only two of those were in USA with nine in Europe. In contrast, there are 5500 active stations on FT8 representing countries from all over the world, including Africa, Australia and the Middle East and many islands in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. No wonder I have not seen PSK stations on the waterfall.

As a member of PODX 070 and having achieved LONP status, I would prefer to work PSK rather than FT8, but it seems the only way to work PSK these days is to schedule a contact at a specific time and frequency.  Hopefully, things will be different on Field Day. Staring at an empty waterfall is not very exciting.

Ray N9RWC  73

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "main@070club.groups.io" <main@070club.groups.io>

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Ray:

There are some stations returning to PSK because they find FT8 and that ilk boring once the novelty wears off.  Get on the air at various times because propagation varies with time of day/night.   July 3  on 40m should produce a bunch of contacts.

Propagation has not been great the last few days here in IL, but as the solar cycle gets better so will propagation (we all hope).  If you follow propagation predictions you see they are optimistic. There have been some sun spots, but nothing real significant that I saw.

The TDW contest earlier this month had lots of stations with the addition of several new members afterwards as well as a few in late May.  So, someone must be hearing PSK signals.

Kee checking PSK freqs and you'll eventually  her something.

73,   Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 07:39:11 AM CDT, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

[...]

Exactly

That is why I stated that we need both old and new stations back on the air. I will try to make some PSK contacts on July 4th.

One thing I like about FT8 is that it provides accurate signal reports in dB for both signals sent and signals received. I have heard other stations with signals as strong as +18 dB S/N ratio. Because I have HOA restrictions on antennas at my QTH, my signals sent are typically 5-10 dB lower than signals received. Most PSK contacts send a generic 599 signal report, even when  the signal is  difficult to copy. That is not very helpful.

I can run higher power on FT8 than on PSK31 due to the nature of the signals. If I try to run too much power on PSK, the signal will distort. I run 80-100 watts on FT8 and 25-50 watts on PSK. Both FT8 and PSK 31 can decode signals below the noise floor.

Propagation should be good enough to make PSK contacts if people would get on the air. If the bands are open for FT8 contacts, they should also be open for PSK contacts, but it takes two to tango.

I hope to see some of you on the PSK frequencies.

Ray N9RWC 73

Some recognition is better than none.  PODXS is mentioned twice in the letter. Hopefully we'll get more stations  (new members) to work !

Jerry  n9avy #454

PODXS 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint, Jul 3, 2000z to Jul 4, 2000z; PSK31; Bands: 40m Only; RST + (state/province/country); Logs due July 11

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

PSK is my go to digital mode.  As a new ham in 2014 it was an easy way for me to have a conversation on the air.  Back then SSB was very intimidating.
Over the last 6 months I have met a large number of new to PSK operators and past operators who have come back.  Yes propagation has a great deal to do with it.
PSK is, in my opinion, more civilized for lack of a better word.  I don't have to fight for band space with other PSK users and then have someone come on top of me after you found an opening.
It's the other digital modes I have issues with.  PSK users, again in my opinion, watch their output power and watch not to put out interference.  In general, in my opinion, PSK users are responsible, respectful and very helpful.  PODXS is a great club with great leadership and great volunteers.  I am very grateful.

Bob
KK6KMU

Jerry N9AVY

Ray:

I always thought that FT8 was a low power mode.  Am I mistaken ???

Jerry  n9avy

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 10:30:22 AM CDT, Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:

[...]

FT8 is a weak signal mode. It is not a low power mode.

Because it is an AFSK mode like RTTY rather than a PSK mode, it is possible to run full legal power with an amp without signal distortion. I am sure some of the huge signals I have seen on the waterfall have been with 1500 watt amps.

Some recognition is better than none.  PODXS is mentioned twice in the letter. Hopefully we'll get more stations  (new members) to work !

Jerry  n9avy #454

PODXS 070 Club 40m Firecracker Sprint, Jul 3, 2000z to Jul 4, 2000z; PSK31; Bands: 40m Only; RST + (state/province/country); Logs due July 11

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Leland Sly

FT8 is a weak signal mode not a low power mode.  If your audio settings on the computer are set properly you can run as much power as you want on FT8.  Someone did an experiment a while ago using FT8.  A number of hams all over the country sent the same messages.  The wattage varied from 1 watt to 1000 watts.  One station received all messages and could not tell what station was using any power setting based on the received signals.  So it is not the power that matters...it is the received signal.  The sending station may have to use 1000 watts to have the same signal level as another station using 1 watt depending on how the radio waves travel around the earth.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
[...]

TG Frerichs

Jerry,

FT8 is a weak signal mode, not necessarily a low power mode. It's easy to confuse, but one is on the receiving end and the other is on the transmitting end.

Of course, we should only use as much power as necessary to maintain a contact.  But that's true of all modes.

Tom Frerichs
AE0GQ