Topics

PODXS Club At The Beginning

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

I have always been interested as to how the club began.  Could someone give a brief story as to who started it, why the name, how was the site created etc.
Sorry if this has already been answered.  Thanks.
--
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

And also an explanation of the origin of Rollo, pse.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Nov 16, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

I have always been interested as to how the club began.  Could someone give a brief story as to who started it, why the name, how was the site created etc.
Sorry if this has already been answered.  Thanks.
--
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

Jim K5SP

I thought we had a history file, but I cant seem to fine it.   Steve W3HF was one of the originals, and most likely has all the information.

Steve if your are reading this, can you give me the information to place in the Club History link on the website and place in the files section of groups.io?

Jim K5SP

On 11/16/2020 10:27 AM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU wrote:
I have always been interested as to how the club began.  Could someone give a brief story as to who started it, why the name, how was the site created etc.
Sorry if this has already been answered.  Thanks.
--
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

David, K9DWR

* Jim K5SP <jinnis@swbell.net> [2020-11-16 13:26]:
I thought we had a history file, but I cant seem to fine it. Steve W3HF was
one of the originals, and most likely has all the information.
It's under the membership FAQ
http://www.podxs070.com/frequently-asked-questions/membership-faqs

--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

We have an link on our home page ( http://www.podxs070.com/ ) labeled "Club History".  The link now goes to a page where OM Stan is requesting info.
There was a very comprehensive and detailed history.
I can't remember who authored it, maybe Steve, W3HF, or Jay, N3DQU.
No idea where it went either.
Just sayin'...
Milt
N6MG
070-650
LONP # 76

I thought we had a history file, but I cant seem to fine it.   Steve W3HF was one of the originals, and most likely has all the information.
Steve if your are reading this, can you give me the information to place in the Club History link on the website and place in the files section of groups.io?
Jim K5SP
On 11/16/2020 10:27 AM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU wrote:
I have always been interested as to how the club began.  Could someone give a brief story as to who started it, why the name, how was the site created etc.
Sorry if this has already been answered.  Thanks.
--
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

From the website, under Frequently Asked Questions, we have this:

Where did the Ø7Ø Club originate?
The original idea was proposed by Jay, N3DQU, likely inspired by then recent events in the Penn-Ohio DX Society and in the ham radio hobby. The idea was to form a club that offers hams incentives to use PSK31, one of Amateur radio’s newest digital modes. The Ø7Ø Club was launched in June 2000 by PODXS, with Jay, KA3X (the old dude, now SK) achieving number 001 in record time. The Ø7Ø Club name arose from the PSK31 frequencies on 40, 20, and 15 meters ending in 070. PODXS and the Ø7Ø Club, continuing to grow with, and for, amateur radio.

As for Rollo, I hope Steve chimes in on that one.

Jim K5SP

On 11/16/2020 10:27 AM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU wrote:
I have always been interested as to how the club began.  Could someone give a brief story as to who started it, why the name, how was the site created etc.
Sorry if this has already been answered.  Thanks.
--
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

That's a brief summary. I remember it as a few pages long.
Back in the day, when I was Contest Manager, and did all of the contest logs by hand, we had "New Member Jamboree's" every 100 new members.
It was time for another...at maybe 1000 (?). I couldn't find an open 24 hour slot, much less a 48 hour slot.
That's when our 80m Sprint became the "Jay Hudak 80m Sprint", in honor of Jay, 070-001.
Milt
N6MG

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Jim K5SP

Milt, I saw you last evening of 40, but just could not get a qso in with you.

I am hoping that Steve chimes in, and says he has more of a history than that brief summary that we can place in the Club History Page.

Back when we surpassed 500 members, we had the great race, with everyone trying to get 500 points and win.  Contacts with #500 counted extra.   I don't remember any such membership number contests since then, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

I would like to see them start up again, but, until we get the broken software fixed, it is an extra workload on David K9DWR to create a new scorer to keep up with it.

Jim K5SP

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

By the way that link on the main PODXS page "Club History" has been missing the text since I joined the club three years ago.  Cant remember that far back

Bob KK6KMU

Stephen Melachrinos

That's a very abbreviated version--there's a lot more detail available.

(And I apologize for replying to individual emails instead of reading them all first.)

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

Stephen Melachrinos

I don't know about Rollo. I think he was a creation of Jay N3DQU.

[...]

We did have new member contests at various 100-member boundaries, but "The Great Race" was the last (at least for a long while). IIRC, the rules were set up that the contest would continue until someone got enough points, instead of ending at a pre-determined time. We just didn't realize that it would take many days (I forget how many, but it was close to a week) for someone to get there.

That experience ended the new member contests.

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

The good old days...
I remember one particular award that Charlie, K8IJ and I came up with. similar to WTW, but many times bigger. I asked a few members what they thought, and one particular fellow in TX, replied to me, "Good Lord...."
It never got off the ground.
Another time, the scoring was to be: # of QSO's, per band X ur S-P-C total, per band X the sum of the 070 Member #'s that you worked. Funny, Jay asked me "what was I thinking"? I replied that it would be the only way that Mark, N8MNI, could get 1M points in a single event. Steve, didn't you assist with the fine print on that one also??
Anyway, it was declined too.
All we really needed was more 24 or 48 hour open weekends.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Stephen Melachrinos

I think we actually did one that ended up with millions of points, and I remember the comment about Mark (SK). I know there were lots of others that were rejected.

The 070 club never lacked for imagination.

#1604 LONP #255
david@...

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Is Rollo the club logo or is there another?

Bob KK6KMU

Stephen Melachrinos

Bob -

Back in beginning, there was a distinction between PODXS and the 070 club. PODXS had its own logo, which pre-dated 070. You can see that logo in the top center of this page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020929223217/http://www.podxs.com/

which is an archive of the 070 club page from 2002.

Rollo, however, is unique to the 070 club. Whether he counts as a logo or just a "mascot" is probably a matter of opinion.

Is Rollo the club logo or is there another?

Bob KK6KMU

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Thanks Steve that does help.

Bob KK6KMU

Ron Bosch

Bob,
I was struck by the fact that anything from 2002 is called an archive :-)  Man am I getting old!

Ron
KE4DRF

#1604 LONP #255
david@graniteweb.com

Jerry N9AVY

There are many sites which have little or no history. My local club started by myself and 2 others goes back to 1978, but our "Club Historian" died and everything he had was lost. No one else picked up the job and there are lots of blank spaces through 70s, 80s and 90s - bummer. Club now has over 100 members who are curious...

Good for whomever kept PODXS 070 history !!!

Jerry n9avy

* Ron Bosch <boschfamily@...> [2020-11-17 20:36]:

#1604 LONP #255
david@...