Pirate ???

Jerry N9AVY

The other day I worked N5SWU who said his name was Martin. Unfortunately, the FCC database has no record and the original call sign belonged to a YL which expired in 2011.  Guess some wannabe ham was bootlegging the call sign. Sad.

Jerry  N9AVY

Jim K5SP

Jerry there is a N5WSU whose name is Martin.

Jim K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Stephen Melachrinos

Jerry -

How about N5WSU? Maybe he had a typo in the callsign field in his software?

In fact, it may be common--there's a Facebook entry from 2015 that lists both callsigns:

https://www.facebook.com/AA5RO/posts/from-andrew-k5nnnnew-repeater-in-town145210-tone-1622need-your-help-pleaseif-you/10206154625638858/

The other day I worked N5SWU who said his name was Martin. Unfortunately, the FCC database has no record and the original call sign belonged to a YL which expired in 2011.  Guess some wannabe ham was bootlegging the call sign. Sad.

Jerry  N9AVY

Jim K5SP

And his QTH is San Antonio, is that the QTH he gave you?

73

jim

On 4/11/2021 1:50 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
Jerry -

How about N5WSU? Maybe he had a typo in the callsign field in his software?

In fact, it may be common--there's a Facebook entry from 2015 that lists both callsigns:

The other day I worked N5SWU who said his name was Martin. Unfortunately, the FCC database has no record and the original call sign belonged to a YL which expired in 2011.  Guess some wannabe ham was bootlegging the call sign. Sad.

Jerry  N9AVY

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Oops !   Looks like I transposed the first 2 letters of suffix.  Getting old...  probably wasn't wearing my glasses - dang it .

My Bad !

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, April 11, 2021, 01:47:39 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Jerry there is a N5WSU whose name is Martin.

Jim K5SP

On 4/11/2021 1:39 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
The other day I worked N5SWU who said his name was Martin. Unfortunately, the FCC database has no record and the original call sign belonged to a YL which expired in 2011.  Guess some wannabe ham was bootlegging the call sign. Sad.

Jerry  N9AVY

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Jim:

Yep, San Antonio ...   Really hate it when I put in a call  and it comes back with wrong name/address. Duh !

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, April 11, 2021, 01:56:54 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

And his QTH is San Antonio, is that the QTH he gave you?

73

jim

On 4/11/2021 1:50 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
Jerry -

How about N5WSU? Maybe he had a typo in the callsign field in his software?

In fact, it may be common--there's a Facebook entry from 2015 that lists both callsigns:

The other day I worked N5SWU who said his name was Martin. Unfortunately, the FCC database has no record and the original call sign belonged to a YL which expired in 2011.  Guess some wannabe ham was bootlegging the call sign. Sad.

Jerry  N9AVY

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

F.R. Ashley

Jerry,

I was getting emails about someone using my callsign.. it turned out just a matter of someone not understanding the op on SSB, his call was WV4M.  People though he was saying B instead of V.

73 Buddy WB4M