Topics

NH6WB expired call sign

Jerry N9AVY

If anyone has worked this station, please note the date of your log entry because that call sign EXPIRED on 27 FEB 2000 . It may very well be a pirated call sign.

Jerry N9AVY
Director, Awards & Endorsements Submissions

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

Pretty decent 2X2 call... hard to believe it hasn’t been picked up yet.

Mike
WM4B

-----Original Message-----
From: main@070Club.groups.io [mailto:main@070Club.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:31 AM
To: 070 Club
Subject: [070Club] NH6WB expired call sign

If anyone has worked this station, please note the date of your log entry because that call sign EXPIRED on 27 FEB 2000 . It may very well be a pirated call sign.

Jerry N9AVY

Bill Williams

I would not want a Hawaii call unless I lived there.  You would disappoint every contact.

Bill

AG4QX

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Mike
WM4B

From: main@070Club.groups.io [mailto:main@070Club.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY

If anyone has worked this station, please note the date of your log entry because that call sign EXPIRED on 27 FEB 2000 .  It may very well be a pirated  call sign.

Jerry  N9AVY

Jerry N9AVY

Bill:

Understand your feeling on the subject. However, some operators have a long history with that call and hate to give it up.

KH6RF/4 is operating from U.S. 4th District which is a legitimate identifier for that call sign. If anyone doesn't know what /4 stands for and claims it as Hawaii while chasing awards that is their problem... or the software they use. There are many others using KH, KL, and other off shore prefixes. A friend of mine locally is WL7CTA here in Illinois, he received the call while station with military in Alaska. It a very distinctive call ... Chicago Transit Authority (suffix phonetics on phone.

The days when one worked a station in 1st FCC district ME, NH, VT, CT, MA , DE , RI) are long gone thanks to FCC. The station one works with a W1 call sign may be in Florida or anywhere else in USA. This is because we live in a mobile society with people moving all over the place.

This is a sad fact we have to live with. Don't count on your software nor QRZ to be 100% accurate. Often when I work a station I get the feeling that he isn't paying attention. More interested in contact than accuracy or figuring his software will insert everything into log.

Had a submission this morning for Hawaii with call of AB0JM and QRZ says he's in Hawaii. Go figure !

73, Jerry N9AVY

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 03:14:15 PM CDT, Bill Williams <bill.ag4qx@...> wrote:

I would not want a Hawaii call unless I lived there.  You would disappoint every contact.

Bill

AG4QX

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Mike
WM4B

If anyone has worked this station, please note the date of your log entry because that call sign EXPIRED on 27 FEB 2000 .  It may very well be a pirated  call sign.

Jerry  N9AVY