Topics

New Radio

Jerry N9AVY

Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Is it possibly a picnic?

Fuses all good?
.
Jim K5SP

On Dec 18, 2020 10:19 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Jim,  K5SP #483

Chuck M

Remember O'Toole's commentary on this phenomenon.  "Murphy was an optimist."

73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Friday, December 18, 2020, 12:32:17 PM EST, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Is it possibly a picnic?

Fuses all good?
.
Jim K5SP

On Dec 18, 2020 10:19 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Jim,  K5SP #483

Jim:

Of course, the fuses were all good. 47 years of troubleshooting electronics and I wouldn't have missed that one.  Power cord good all the way to radio.

Called R&L this morning and they want it back to see for themselves. Sending a UPS Call Tag for it.  So, we'll see.  Read the manual and set everything up like they said (RTFM).  Not me - bad Icom.

Jerry  n9avy

On Friday, December 18, 2020, 11:32:19 AM CST, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Is it possibly a picnic?

Fuses all good?
.
Jim K5SP

On Dec 18, 2020 10:19 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Jim,  K5SP #483

Geary McDowell

Bummer!  That is a great radio.  I got mine about five months ago and am still learning it.  I watched about four hours of videos today from smoked ham radio or something like that trying to figure out how to go between digital and voice without having to reset everything.  But since 99% of what I do is PSK, once I get it to PSK again it’s staying there !  Hi hi I think you will love that radio Jerry when you get one that works.
Look forward to our 7300s chatting soon!
73, Geary KE5IRK

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Paula K7PAX #1739

Jerry, sorry to hear of your disappointment with the new 7300. I just got one a couple of weeks ago, and my first amp too. Hope you get your replacement quickly. Then you, me, and Geary can all compare notes and share tips.

Geary, I haven’t tried this yet, but I think you can use the band stacking registers to store three different sets of mode configurations for each band. So we can have one for digital, one for phone and one for CW, for instance, on each band. I think it might store power levels too. But don’t quote me on that! I’m just a beginner here with this new rig.

Paula K7PAX

On Dec 18, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Geary McDowell <ke5irk@...> wrote:

[...]

Marcus Lieberman

and the 2020 dumpster fire continues!    Marcus, KM5EH

On 12/18/2020 9:19 AM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Murphy struck !

Read the manual before powering up and looked at a couple videos as well.  So connected power from RS-35M and antenna.   Nada . Checked power to radio and it was all the way from power supply to connector on IC7300.  Called store today and they're sending a call tag so I can ship it bad.

Guess it was DOA from store.  We'll see what happens from here....

Jerry  n9avy

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Set the radio up the way you like it for PSK, and save the settings to an SD card.  Set the radio up for voice, and again save the settings to an SD card.

Now you can load either setup in its entirety from the SD card whenever you like.  Switching back and forth ought to be a snap.

At least that’s the theory.  I haven’t actually tried it.  But it’s on my list of things to try.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

[...]

Jerry...
Thanks for sharing your woe's. We're sure living in some emotionally distressing times!
I'd try it again. Do it all over again. Start from scratch.
It's got to be something. And, yip, it could be the radio. But that has to be the least probable place for it to be.
It's new? Right out of the box?
Try again.
Sometimes you can't see the forest because all of the trees are in the way, ya know?
Milt.
070-650
LONP #76

[...]

RADIO WILL NOT POWER UP ! Tried everything !

On Friday, December 18, 2020, 03:09:54 PM CST, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, Jerry, I was responding to Geary (and Paula) about how to have different sets of settings for different uses.

Bummer that your 7300 is DOA.  But I think you will like the radio when you get one that works.