New Member

Tom

Hello everyone -

I discovered the TDW via the contestcalendar.com website and, because I really enjoyed working PSK31 around 15 years ago, I wanted to give it a try. I've been disappointed in the lack of PSK31 ops recently, but I was very pleased to discover a group that was still actively involved in the mode, and further to encounter some very friendly and courteous operators during the weekend.

Although reception is continuously poor at my QTH, I managed to make 38 contacts, which enabled me to apply for membership in this great organization. I was very impressed with the dedication of ops who continued to CQ right up to the last minute on Sunday, especially Barry VA7GEM who was my first contact of the weekend.

Anyway I wanted to thank everyone who went into the logbook during the contest and also to thank Jim K5SP for dealing with membership apps so quickly. I'm very happy to be a member and hope to meet you all on the air.

73 es TU!
Tom W4FLL POD 2846

Jerry N9AVY

Tom

Welcome aboard !   We worked during TDW.  Glad you're now a member !  Hope you will enjoy PODS 070 group.

Jerry   N9AVY  #454

Director , Awards & Endorsements

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 09:44:02 AM CDT, Tom <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jerry.
Yes sir, you're another one I was very happy to get in the log.

John Hendry KG5OIB

Sorry we didn't get to work.  I looked at your QRZ page and I see the challenges you have.   Not much you can do about powerlines.   :-(

73

John

     de  KG5OIB

     John Hendry

     Decatur, Wise County, Texas

     LOC:  EM13eg

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Tom,

Worked you during the contest.  A great group here in PODXS.  Welcome.

Bob
KK6KMU

Barry VA7GEM

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 07:43 AM, Tom wrote:
[...]

Welcome aboard Tom and TU for the nice wordsa.

Mike / KC7MAW

Welcome, I feel your pain on the noise.  I live in an urban area on a standard City Lot.  i have power lines on two sides and close in neighbors on the other two.
I have a steady S8 on 40-80 and on 20 meters the noise is ever present S4 to S8 but some days I get a break.

My primary mode is anything digital......

Mike:

You're not alone.  Noise level is usually about S-9 to 10 db over.  Power lines are buried so there are no poles; however the substation is about 1/4 miles as the crow flies.

Neighbors with noisy computers and such are also part  of problem.  Some days I dream of driving a bulldozer thru neighborhood, but that wishful thinking, hi, hi !

73,  Jerry  n9avy #454

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 10:08:26 PM CDT, Mike / KC7MAW <mneiner@...> wrote:

Welcome, I feel your pain on the noise.  I live in an urban area on a standard City Lot.  i have power lines on two sides and close in neighbors on the other two.
I have a steady S8 on 40-80 and on 20 meters the noise is ever present S4 to S8 but some days I get a break.

My primary mode is anything digital......

73

JoAnn Donaldson

I agree the noise level is getting bad. A lot of my neighbors are installing Solar Arrays on their roofs. When it is a really sunny day, I start to see spikes on the waterfall. They generally will disappear when the sun goes down. Really glad to see PSK31 is not only still alive but thriving. I was able to make 140 contacts. I am now a new member of the 070 club with # 2844.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 10:30:59 PM CDT, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Mike:

You're not alone.  Noise level is usually about S-9 to 10 db over.  Power lines are buried so there are no poles; however the substation is about 1/4 miles as the crow flies.

Neighbors with noisy computers and such are also part  of problem.  Some days I dream of driving a bulldozer thru neighborhood, but that wishful thinking, hi, hi !

73,  Jerry  n9avy #454

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 10:08:26 PM CDT, Mike / KC7MAW <mneiner@...> wrote:

Welcome, I feel your pain on the noise.  I live in an urban area on a standard City Lot.  i have power lines on two sides and close in neighbors on the other two.
I have a steady S8 on 40-80 and on 20 meters the noise is ever present S4 to S8 but some days I get a break.

My primary mode is anything digital......

May be time for retaliatory TVI/RFI strikes against neighbors   Emoji

jerry  n9avy