From: Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 5:06 am
Subject: [070Club] New FCC Rule effective 5/3/21 - Today!

You've probably seen this - maybe done it. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-fcc-rf-safety-rules-come-into-effect-on-may-3-what-you-need-to-know.761848/  But to be safe, I ran the W4/VP9KF forms for all my rigs and antennas, printed them out and stuck them in my FCC License file.  If there is ever a question or complaint, I can prove I did them and that is what the FCC now requires of all amatuers...no more automatic exceptions.

Eric KG6MZS

Rick,

Thanks for that.  Nice to see how well my station falls into compliance if nothing else.

73 Eric, KG6MZS

On 5/3/21 5:06 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
You've probably seen this - maybe done it. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-fcc-rf-safety-rules-come-into-effect-on-may-3-what-you-need-to-know.761848/  But to be safe, I ran the W4/VP9KF forms for all my rigs and antennas, printed them out and stuck them in my FCC License file.  If there is ever a question or complaint, I can prove I did them and that is what the FCC now requires of all amatuers...no more automatic exceptions.

Milt-
As I understand, the history on this goes back to 2019.  The FCC was doing a review and update of their RF exposure rules from 1997.  They said in part that there were too many different standards and specific exemptions and they were going to wipe them out and put all RF emitters under the same requirements.  Under the 1997 rules, hams have always had RF exposure evaluation requirements.  But those requirements were granted exemption if your power and freq fell in certain categories.  When they wiped all exemptions (not just hams) it means all hams now are required to do the evaluation.  When you renew your license, the 605 form has a check box that declares you have done the evaluation.  Now you know all I know which isn't much - hi hi.

Stuart Sheldon

I just released a video regarding this... I'm not sure if it's all that helpful but it has lot's of info and a demonstration of how you can evaluate based on info provided by the FCC via bulletin 65(b).

https://youtu.be/ircLRVCbO_o

Stu
AG6AG

On 5/3/21 08:09, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Milt-
As I understand, the history on this goes back to 2019.  The FCC was doing a review and update of their RF exposure rules from 1997.  They said in part that there were too many different standards and specific exemptions and they were going to wipe them out and put all RF emitters
under the same requirements.  Under the 1997 rules, hams have always had RF exposure evaluation requirements.  But those requirements were granted exemption if your power and freq fell in certain categories.
When they wiped all exemptions (not just hams) it means all hams now are required to do the evaluation.  When you renew your license, the 605 form has a check box that declares you have done the evaluation.  Now you know all I know which isn't much - hi hi.
"Sometimes you lie in bed at night, and you don't have a single thing to
worry about...That always worries me! "
-- Charles M. Schulz

Stu,

Thank you for the excellent YouTube video.

John
KC3FL

Jerry N9AVY

Good video, but all that math stuff gave me a headache, hi !    Have avoided math since taking Extra in 2000.

Think the FCC should send out Engineers to do all these calculations, Emoji.  Wonder how many of those operators running 1/4 KW amps in mobile on 2m will be surprised ?

Jerry  n9avy

--
"Sometimes you lie in bed at night, and you don't have a single thing to
worry about...That always worries me! "
              -- Charles M. Schulz

Thanks for taking the time for 'esplane this to us.
I'll do the calc's and try to remember where they're saved on my main frame.
Listening to my posse on the local repeaters, not one has gone beyond the limits.
Milt.
N6MG

As I understand, the history on this goes back to 2019.  The FCC was doing a review and update of their RF exposure rules from 1997.  They said in part that there were too many different standards and specific exemptions and they were going to wipe them out and put all RF emitters under the same requirements.  Under the 1997 rules, hams have always had RF exposure evaluation requirements.  But those requirements were granted exemption if your power and freq fell in certain categories.  When they wiped all exemptions (not just hams) it means all hams now are required to do the evaluation.  When you renew your license, the 605 form has a check box that declares you have done the evaluation.  Now you know all I know which isn't much - hi hi.

As I said before the video was awesome and explained what we were looking for at each step however like Jerry said all that math is a lot of work so I cheated by using on line calculators.
Right angle triangle calculator    https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/right-triangle
ERP calculator   https://extapps.commscope.com/calculators/qerp.aspx
RF Exposure calculator   http://hintlink.com/power_density.htm

John