New Chat: WARC Endorsement #chat-notice

main@070Club.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

A new chat has been created:

New

We can use this chat to set up skeds for WARC contacts and report band openings and such.  This has not been at the top of my list since I didn't have the right antenna.  But fortunes changed and my G5RV Jr likes the bands and I will be trying harder to get this endorsement this summer.

Dave
KB3RAN
1692/381

By: DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 <davehardy0101@...>

View/Join This Chat

Do not reply to this message to post to the chat. You can participate in chats only through the group's website.

Barry VA7GEM

Dave
If I join the chat will I receive individual emails like I can with the main Contest group,
which we used to use for coordination activities, or do I have to stay signed into the
web portal to read msgs.
TVM
Barry

Paula K7PAX #1739

Dave,
I will be using that chat, combined with email to try and stir up 30 meter activity - 30 on 30 is still needing about 10 more QSOs.

Paula K7PAX 1739

--
Paula K7PAX #1739

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

Damfino.  I haven't done much on chats.  I guess we'll all learn as we go along unless someone else with more chat room experience chimes in.
--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

What do you do after you enter the text?  Just hit enter?

John
KC3FL

Leland Sly

Not real sure.  I think you hit the up arrow.  This old man doesn't chat much...hi hi

73

Lee n5sly

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

What do you do after you enter the text?  Just hit enter?

John
KC3FL

Stephen Melachrinos

The only way I found was to mouse-click the arrow. I found that frustrating--the enter key would be much easier and more intutive.

I'd love to find a non-mouse solution.

Not real sure.  I think you hit the up arrow.  This old man doesn't chat much...hi hi

73

Lee n5sly

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

What do you do after you enter the text?  Just hit enter?

John
KC3FL

Rick - N7WE

I just subscribed to the 365 Chat and this technologically obsolete guy needs some instruction!  First, how do I tell if anyone is in the chat?  I think I sent a message asking if anyone was there, but not sure.  Second, how do I tell how old the messages are?  I see time stamps (are they local time of the post, all the same time zone, UTC...?) but no dates.  Are the messages deleted after so long?  So as you can see, I'm don't know how to use chat to know when someone is on looking for a 365 contact.  Do you just continously monitor the chat?  Any help greatly appreciated...and have NO FEAR of being too basic for this old fuddy-duddy.  Tnx!

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know how the chat works.  I see there are chats on there going back to 2019 so they might stay around forever.  To see who is on the chat, hit the plus sign (+) and you can see who is on the chat.  Think those are local times at our time zone, don't know if they show up in a west coast time zone as 12:33 or 9:33.  You must have posted it correctly because I saw it.

John
KC3FL

Just ran an experiment on one of the chats to see how the time works.  I sent a message with a time stamp of 1:39.  Bob KK6KMU said he saw 10:39 as the time stamp so it converts the time to your time zone.  Very important to know that.

John
KC3FL

Barry VA7GEM

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 08:44 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
I just subscribed to the 365 Chat and this technologically obsolete guy needs some instruction!  First, how do I tell if anyone is in the chat?  I think I sent a message asking if anyone was there, but not sure.  Second, how do I tell how old the messages are?  I see time stamps (are they local time of the post, all the same time zone, UTC...?) but no dates.  Are the messages deleted after so long?  So as you can see, I'm don't know how to use chat to know when someone is on looking for a 365 contact.  Do you just continously monitor the chat?  Any help greatly appreciated...and have NO FEAR of being too basic for this old fuddy-duddy.  Tnx!
Rick
Thank you
I was perfectly conversant with using the Contest Reflector,
and this was it's intended use. I am getting too old and grouchy t
o change for the sake of change and have to learn something new
when what we had was filling the job nicely.
cheers de Barry (who will be found on the Contest Reflector), until
someone can explain the benefits of changing.

Barry VA7GEM

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:19 AM, John - KC3FL wrote:

Just ran an experiment on one of the chats to see how the time works.  I sent a message with a time stamp of 1:39.  Bob KK6KMU said he saw 10:39 as the time stamp so it converts the time to your time zone.  Very important to know that.

John
KC3FL

Hmm So I wonder what it will do if the computer is set to UTC?
cheers de

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Barry,

You can set your local time to Greenwich Mean Time in your preference and change your time to 24 hr. format.  I don't think it will  be always correct because of daylight savings.  I didn't find a setting to disregard daylight savings.

Bob
KK6KMU

I would think 12:00 GMT would be 12:00 GMT everywhere since it's Universal Time.  I don't think GMT is affected by Daylight Savings as on the east coast our 00:00 went from 7 PM to 8 PM when we went into Daylight Savings.  We changed but GMT didn't.

John
KC3FL

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 09:57:08 -0700, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:
I would think 12:00 GMT would be 12:00 GMT everywhere since it's Universal
Time.  I don't think GMT is affected by Daylight Savings as on the east
coast our 00:00 went from 7 PM to 8 PM when we went into Daylight
Savings.  We changed but GMT didn't.
It depends on if the software truly means +0 hours or if it means "time in
UK" - which changes during the summer to Brittish Summer Time (BST).
Because of this confusion, it tends to be less confusing to use "UTC" when
you want "zulu time" instead of "GMT" which is way too often mis-interpreted
as the time in UK.

If you want true UTC timezone and the software doesn't give you one - you
can use Iceland as your preferred timezone. Iceland is on UTC year-round.

Jeff.

Jerry N9AVY

Yup, no GDMT  or  GMDT

Jerry   N9AVY!

On Friday, June 11, 2021, 11:57:12 AM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

I would think 12:00 GMT would be 12:00 GMT everywhere since it's Universal Time.  I don't think GMT is affected by Daylight Savings as on the east coast our 00:00 went from 7 PM to 8 PM when we went into Daylight Savings.  We changed but GMT didn't.

John
KC3FL

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

I'll posting and monitoring both the message board and the chat room for a while.
--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381