Topics

N1ZZZ Redeye Ragchew

Eric KG6MZS

Hi All,

One night last March I couldn't sleep so I got up in the wee hours and checked out the waterfall on 40m.  I had the good fortune to catch up with Jeremy N1ZZZ - 070#50.

He was MM in the South China Sea as master on a container ship. We had a nice, long QSO and it was one of the reasons I love PSK.

Anybody else ever catch N1ZZZ at sea?

73

Eric

KG6MZS

Stephen Melachrinos

Eric -

Twice--once in 2003 when he was somewhere (FL26) in the Atlantic, and then again in 2014 during a contest (!) and I'm not sure where he was.

Also worked him a few times as ZD8JA, as well as stateside in multiple states.

One night last March I couldn't sleep so I got up in the wee hours and
checked out the waterfall on 40m.  I had the good fortune to catch up
with Jeremy N1ZZZ - 070#50.

He was MM in the South China Sea as master on a container ship. We had a
nice, long QSO and it was one of the reasons I love PSK.

Anybody else ever catch N1ZZZ at sea?

73

Eric

KG6MZS

He's in my log on 8/29/11 on 17 mtrs SSB @ 18:59 but no notes on location

John
KC3FL

Eric KG6MZS

Steve,

Nice catch on the ZD8JA contact.  I only have one ZD8 in my log.  ZD8Z on Ascension Island.

I've done a fair amount of multi-day regattas and boat deliveries and I really enjoy the middle watches I've done.  Something about being out of sight of land in the middle of the night at the helm that can be magic.  It can also be pretty miserable sometimes, too.

Anyway we had a bit to talk about given our maritime experiences.  We'd both read John McPhee's "Waiting for a Ship" and we talked about that.  Fun stuff, this PSK.

73

Eric

KG6MZS

On 7/15/20 3:14 PM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
Eric -

Twice--once in 2003 when he was somewhere (FL26) in the Atlantic, and then again in 2014 during a contest (!) and I'm not sure where he was.

Also worked him a few times as ZD8JA, as well as stateside in multiple states.

One night last March I couldn't sleep so I got up in the wee hours and
checked out the waterfall on 40m.  I had the good fortune to catch up
with Jeremy N1ZZZ - 070#50.

He was MM in the South China Sea as master on a container ship. We had a
nice, long QSO and it was one of the reasons I love PSK.

Anybody else ever catch N1ZZZ at sea?

73

Eric

KG6MZS

Eric KG6MZS

John,

I've got a bunch of MM contacts with no grid.  That's too bad.  I love to get those totally random, never-to-be-worked again grids.

This group has made me grid-conscious like I've never been before.  The CQ VHF contest is this weekend and I'm hoping to fill in a few on 6m.  I just put up a M2 6M3 for the occasion.

73

Eric

KG6MZS

On 7/16/20 7:00 AM, John - KC3FL via groups.io wrote:

He's in my log on 8/29/11 on 17 mtrs SSB @ 18:59 but no notes on location

John
KC3FL

_._,_._

Eric,

It's funny how PODXS changes your operating priorities.  I never paid attention to grids before, but now if a station is portable or mobile my first question is " What is your grid?"  Can't always trust the one QRZ shows.

Jerry N9AVY

That will work for most stations , but there are a few who have no idea of what their grid is when they're operating and some have no idea what a grid is.

A few years ago a worked a station in Grackle ND and he had no idea what his grid was. Used the QTH part of QRZ to look up the town and checking the very few stations in and around town (all 3 were former residents and club members here in Illinois), I found out the grid .
Sometimes you have to use all the resources.

Jerry n9avy

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:16:52 AM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

Eric,

It's funny how PODXS changes your operating priorities.  I never paid attention to grids before, but now if a station is portable or mobile my first question is " What is your grid?"  Can't always trust the one QRZ shows.

Bill Williams

QRZ has a grid map for all the entries, assuming the address is correct the grid will be correct.  Under the "Detail" index click the "Explore on HamGrid Maps" line under the map.  If you click on the map it will bring up a grip anywhere you click.  Good for finding the grid at your APE location.

73,
Bill
AG4QX
0398

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:16:52 AM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Eric,

It's funny how PODXS changes your operating priorities.  I never paid attention to grids before, but now if a station is portable or mobile my first question is " What is your grid?"  Can't always trust the one QRZ shows.

Jerry N9AVY

nd good, BUT if you check stations in same town using the "Grids" on the callsign box, you will get a few stations to choose from and most will have the correct grid for the town. That way you'll get a better selection for that grid; however, be careful because there are some stations who appear to be out of state having moved. I think this is a better way as sometimes grid lines aren't clearly defined.

Jerry

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 01:17:39 PM CDT, Bill Williams <bill.ag4qx@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

On Jul 16, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

nd good, BUT if you check stations in same town using the "Grids" on the callsign box, you will get a few stations to choose from and most will have the correct grid for the town. That way you'll get a better selection for that grid; however, be careful because there are some stations who appear to be out of state having moved. I think this is a better way as sometimes grid lines aren't clearly defined.

It’s astonishingly easy to have two addresses in the same town be different grid squares. There are hams who live just north of me who list their address as Duvall, WA who are in cn97, and there are some who live in CN87. The line between CM97 and CN97 runs, I am not kidding you, right smack down the middle of the Snoqualmie valley.

The Maidenhead grid locator for a location is just a different way of specifying the latitude and longitude of that spot on earth using the WGS84 datum. What grid square a location falls in is completely and clearly defined by the lat/long of that location, so I’m not sure what you mean by ’aren’t clearly defined’?

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Jerry N9AVY

Paul:

Recall working a station camping out in the UP (Michigan) and he had no idea what grid he was in, didn't know his latitude/longitude and had no idea what, if any, town he was near. Don't think I counted him for any grid. There were one or two others. Most don't care about grids... just being portable in a state. Sometimes even a good guess isn't god enough.

Jerry
n9avy

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 03:20:29 PM CDT, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
>

> nd good, BUT if you check stations in same town using the "Grids" on the callsign box, you will get a few stations to choose from and most will have the correct grid for the town. That way you'll get a better selection for that grid; however, be careful because there are some stations who appear to be out of state having moved. I think this is a better way as sometimes grid lines aren't clearly defined.

It’s astonishingly easy to have two addresses in the same town be different grid squares.  There are hams who live just north of me who list their address as Duvall, WA who are in cn97, and there are some who live in CN87.  The line between CM97 and CN97 runs, I am not kidding you, right smack down the middle of the Snoqualmie valley.

The Maidenhead grid locator for a location is just a different way of specifying the latitude and longitude of that spot on earth using the WGS84 datum.  What grid square a location falls in is completely and clearly defined by the lat/long of that location, so I’m not sure what you mean by ’aren’t clearly defined’?

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Jeremy Allen

Hi All,

I am trying to send my grid more regularly now that people care more.  I used to only record it when I was working 6M, but as was mentioned above, people are more interested in grid chasing, even on HF.

I haven't been on PSK31 too much, but will try to be on a bit more.  I will make a special effort to be on the evening of March 17th on 20M as we transit between Freeport, Bahamas and Jacksonville, FL.  I expect to be able to work many people in the Eastern US that evening.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ