Last date

Geary McDowell

Storms in our area and SWR way over in the red!  I hope conditions improve as July 18 is all I need for the 366 Endowment!  I’ll be on as soon as I can ride and shine Sunday!
73, Geary, KE5IRK

Geary McDowell

WOW, my radio SWR issues were still there about 7:00 a.m. CDST, but dropped off suddenly and I was able to have a great QSO with Angelo in NY, WA2UJR to complete the 366 or 365+Leap Year.  No idea where the high SWR was coming from but I did not like the red pegging the end of the scale on all bands.  Interestingly the noise level in my shack normally runs a solid 9, but with the high SWR it was down to about a 2.  Weird, but that would be my shack.  Thanks, Angelo!  I was able to make a couple of other contacts later but overall my waterfall was pretty empty this morning.  I have uploaded my log and am awaiting approval.
Now to figure out the 24/7 endorsement.  HI HI
73 and thanks to everyone who is in my log on various dates of a calendar year.
Geary McDowell, KE5IRK
PODXS #1787  LONP #417

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 9:33 PM Geary McDowell via groups.io <ke5irk=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Storms in our area and SWR way over in the red!  I hope conditions improve as July 18 is all I need for the 366 Endowment!  I’ll be on as soon as I can ride and shine Sunday!
73, Geary, KE5IRK

Geary,

Once again congrats on the 366.  Your SWR problem is probably still lurking there somewhere because things don't go bad and then fix themselves.  I have an R-8 vertical that over the years got noisier and noisier.over a period of time so I stopped using it for a few years however I still used it on 17 meters.  One day the SWR just went off scale.  It turned out to be a dirty connection between the coax and the antenna.  I cleaned the connection with some deoxit and not only did it fix the SWR but the vertical was a lot quieter.

John
KC3FL

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Gerry,

Congratulations on the 365/366 endorsement.  I plan to finish my 24/7 maybe in October.  I got 8 hours left most of which are in the 11 UTC hour.  I already have a few volunteers to help.  Let me know if you are interested.

Bob
KK6KMU

Rick - N7WE

Congrats Geary!  The 366 is an accomplishment to be very proud of!  Good luck on the 24/7.  Post here to let everyone know how to help.  You will find many people willing to set an alarm and get up to help you finish it.  Again, take pride in what you have achieved!

Geary, getting good advice on connections.

As for noise, make sure your shack has a good RF grounding.  I also had my A/C guy put a good ground on the unit cover. That reduced my noise level considerably, but still have some due to proximity to power lines. Still have some noise when neighbor fires up his welding system. (he has a huge rig on a trailer, with a huge generator).

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 10:35 AM, Geary McDowell
<ke5irk@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim,  K5SP #483

Geary McDowell

Thank you John, I had hoped to see you or Bob earlier today and one of you two wrap this up, but Angelo was fine and this time he and I had a long QSO.  While replacing a wx station the other day after lightning took out my other one in June of 2020, we did clean the ends of the PL-259s on the two wires, actually, put a new end on one that was lose.  I need to clean the coax ends on the vertical and those going into the shack, it has been a year.  HI HI
73, Geary KE5IRK
Lawton-Fort Sill, OK

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 12:20 PM John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Geary,

Once again congrats on the 366.  Your SWR problem is probably still lurking there somewhere because things don't go bad and then fix themselves.  I have an R-8 vertical that over the years got noisier and noisier.over a period of time so I stopped using it for a few years however I still used it on 17 meters.  One day the SWR just went off scale.  It turned out to be a dirty connection between the coax and the antenna.  I cleaned the connection with some deoxit and not only did it fix the SWR but the vertical was a lot quieter.

John
KC3FL

Geary McDowell

Thanks Bob, I was looking for you this morning.  I'll keep watching for your call and help  when I can.
73, Geary KE5IRK

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Gerry,

Congratulations on the 365/366 endorsement.  I plan to finish my 24/7 maybe in October.  I got 8 hours left most of which are in the 11 UTC hour.  I already have a few volunteers to help.  Let me know if you are interested.

Bob
KK6KMU

Geary McDowell

Thanks Rick, I think I have figured out what I need on the 24/7, I'll type it up and post it.  One of the great things about the 070 Club is you can earn all kinds of endorsements by just getting on the air when you can and have fun in this great hobby.  I am not a contester, but wow, I am so close to several that I will now be looking to complete.
73, Geary KE5IRK

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 12:56 PM Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Congrats Geary!  The 366 is an accomplishment to be very proud of!  Good luck on the 24/7.  Post here to let everyone know how to help.  You will find many people willing to set an alarm and get up to help you finish it.  Again, take pride in what you have achieved!

Geary McDowell

Thanks Jim, my shack has lots of issues, but I no longer get into the surround sound subwoofer or smoke alarms.  HI HI  I have lots of grounding but after watching a guy from DX Engineering talk one night during an Austin ARC club meeting, I am adding more.  I don't get much help locally, mostly because I am not a contester in the ARRL contest like the ones here who have the knowledge to help.  So I welcome positive comments and suggestions all the time.
73, Geary KE5IRK

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
Geary, getting good advice on connections.

As for noise, make sure your shack has a good RF grounding.  I also had my A/C guy put a good ground on the unit cover. That reduced my noise level considerably, but still have some due to proximity to power lines. Still have some noise when neighbor fires up his welding system. (he has a huge rig on a trailer, with a huge generator).

Jim K5SP

<ke5irk@...> wrote:
[...]

Have actually helped a few hams with smoke detectors they kept tripping.  Problem is that those cheap smoke detectors you get at WalMart and hardware stores are not designed to operation in RF fields.  This is because they have a high impedance front end  (little radioactive sticker saying contains Americium is a dead give away.).

The best solution is to replace them with photo electric type smoke detectors which are usually a bit more expensive, but have low impedance front ends. any hams used to go through local churches PA systems because they were using Hi-Z microphones with unshielded speaker wiring.

Had one ham a few years back who had all sorts of problems with his alarm system when was on the air.  Asked him to trace ground wire which he did and he found it was good at alaerm panel, but the other end was connected to NOTHING.  He connected it and all was well.  HAd another case where dumb installer connected ground to PVC pipe !  Doh !?

Just thought I'd pass these tips along.

73,  Jerry  n9avy  #454

<ke5irk@...> wrote:
[...]

Chuck Bridges

Woo hoo, congrats on your 366!

Chuck Bridges, AK6DV, 070 #153

Rick - N7WE

Geary-
Don't overlook the WTW Endorsement.  It is one of the Big Three - 366, 24/7, and WTW.  And the nice thing about the Big Three is they don't depend on good propagation.

You have already completed 4 of the 9 WTW countries, so you are well on your way.  And you can gather the letters you need while working on other endorsements.  The 070-WTW option in the Awards Progress Menu Bar

(which still works for tracking this one!) shows you which letters and how many you need to complete each country.  Just focus on getting the letters you need for the next country in line and it will all come together.  GL and enjoy PSK31!

Geary McDowell

Thanks Rick, I have looked at the WTW, and others, regularly.  I think I have it figured out, and when my station starts working better I think I can complete that one easily.  I have not seen Mexico but twice this year, Europe once, Cuba none, and Asia none.  That is how my station is doing.  I see US stations almost daily working all over, but I have a little broken basic station, which is my preference.  I think I need to look at the WTW again and see if there are certain letters or such I should look for but I will work 99% of the stations I see and who can see me.  There are only two I avoid, I put up with negative ugliness long enough teaching for 38 years.  HI HI HI.  A fellow HAM who climbs my tower is helping me some, we are going to trace out all my coaxes next time and clean the ends or put on new ones if needed.  I like seeing the positive comments and suggestions I have been reading here, so much better than ANY of the Facebook HAM groups I follow.  Thanks again Rick and everyone for your support and positive words.  My handicap is finally getting worse so I am trying to get my little station as good as I can get it before I can no longer walk and do much with my hands.  I sure like PSK, that is where I work probably 98% of the time, the other as net control for our storm team in SW OK, I keep trying to retire from that.  HI HI
73 all, Geary KE5IRK