KC9UR POTA Activation Today

Bob KC9UR

Hi All - I will be activating POTA park K-1960, Independence Dam State Park, near Defiance, Ohio today from approximately 1700 - 1900 UTC - the contact will also count in the ongoing St Pat's Day Contest.  I plan to start on 20m and then move to 40m.  I hope to work many of you!

73,
Bob, KC9UR

Bob KC9UR

Many thanks to all the St Pat's Day contesters and the POTA hunters who resulted in 22 PSK QSOs in the log today!!  It was great to work all of you!  It was a beautiful sunny warm day to be out in the park after a long cold Indiana winter!  Thanks again!  73, Bob, KC9UR

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Bob,

I'm thinking  of trying POTA.  I already am a hunter and have about 60 unique parks.  I have read the activator and hunter guide but an interested in any first hand advice you might have.  What kind of setup do you have?
At first I plan to work from my van using my 20 and 40 meter ham sticks.  I have a 30 A/Hr battery and plan to get a 100 watt solar panel.  Rig is a IC-7200 and plan to use my Heil headset.  Thinking of using FLRID and FLDIGI on a small laptop. Also use the FLDIGI for my logging.  I'll deal with any Park to Park contact logging manually.  Most of my local parks are at the beaches.  If anything the view will be great.
Thank for your help.
Bob KK6KMU

Bob KC9UR

Hi Bob - Thanks for the contact Saturday!  I'm really glad to hear that you're interested in being an activator - it's lots of fun being the hunted!  You have a good plan in place, with all the equipment you need.  For rigs, I use either an Elecraft KX2 (sometimes with a HardRock50 amp) or an IC-7300.  For power, I use a Bioenno 20aH LiFePO4 battery - so far, I have never discharged it completely.  Your hamsticks should work fine, and will be quick to set up.  I use a variety of antennas, mostly resonant end feds.  My current favorite is a 40/20/10m homebrew resonant end fed mounted vertically on a 12m fiberglass mast, but it takes about 10 minutes or so to set up.  As a hunter, you're aware that it's important for activators to get themselves spotted on the pota.us website.  If you will be using CW, you can schedule your activation, and when you call CQ, the reverse beacon system will pick you up and automatically generate a spot for you on the pota.us site.   For SSB or PSK it's fine to spot yourself (provided you have cell coverage at the park).  If operating PSK, it's good to be in a shaded spot (inside your van would work great), because it's extremely difficult to read a laptop screen in direct sunlight.  I hope to work you on your first activation!
73,
Bob, KC9UR

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Bob,
Thanks for your input.  I plan to use SSB and PSK.  Im going to try and get out next week.

Bob KK6KMU