From: Alan - KA5VZG <ka5vzg@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Subject: [070Club] Early CHIMP report for Stan W9SMR

Rain and thunderstorms moved this CHIMP onto the back porch. Got 5 chimp QSO's by abt 1600z.
Thanks to
Stan, KC9UR, 10.140MHz, at 1327z.
Fred, W4PKU, 14.0712MHz, at 1416z
Bil, N4MU, 14.0712MHz, at 1423z
John, KC3FL, 18.0983MHzm at 1521z
and John again, KC3FK, 14.0717MHz, at 1558z

I was using my Yaesu FT-857D, with an LDG Z-100Plus tuner, a Jetstream JTPS28 power supply, a SignaLink USB, any my XYL's old Dell (software updated from Win 7 to 10, and using Fldigi.
The two antennas are a VGE SD-40, 40m short dipole; and a Honolulu Emergency Amateur Radio  Club,  end fed 6-40, which is abt 30' long.  All supported with those military surplus fiberglass pole sections, stuck into a fold-up clothesline base.  No umbrella, no raincoat, no coffee. . .hardcore CHIMP hi hi,   I just ran to the porch with my arms full.

I may get to use Stan and John for the CRAWL attaboy if I can ever find anyone on 12m.

I've managed to work KB3RAN/1 on two bands, but one was before "daze" and the other was not a CHIMP QSO.
I had already whimped out, from the weather, and returned to the shack.

Tomorrow the hunt for 12m.

Rick - N7WE

Where are you Milt?  I called 500 down from your Q with Bob, but you didn't hear me.  Would like to add you to my APE catch!
You were strong into central FL.

Hi Rick...et al
I'm APE'ing tomorrow, as soon as I can get there. In the neighborhood of 1500Z - 1600Z.
There, being Huntington Beach State Park, Huntington Beach, CA.
I went down there today and checked out a place where I can aim my car to the West in the morning
and to the East in the afternoons.
Restrooms are close at hand.
I'll be doing 20m & 30m, and I'll check 17m when I can.
Unlike up at Elsinore Peak, and Palomar Observatory, I'll have cell service, so I can use my iPad with my iPhone as a hot spot. So, given the time, I'll probably be able to post my whereabouts. Anyhow, that's the plan.
I'm going to be doing some experimenting with my Tarheel 75A, and the whip length.
Standard whip is 72". I've got a fiberglass whip that's 108". There's a few YouTube video's on this and their results were positive. I'm going to give that a try.
That's it.
Milt.
N6MG
070-650