From: Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Feb 10, 2021 1:26 pm
Subject: [070Club] KC3EF Winter Road Trip

The xyl and I are heading out around Feb 19th for a bird watching adventure in TX.  I am planning on operating from some of the grids I need for my goal of activating as many grids as I can.  We are going thru EM51, EM41, EM42, EM53, EM42, EM32, and EM31.  We will be taking the more Southern route thru LA so we will hit EL59 and EL39 both ways according to the current plan.  Most of our time will be spent around the Galveston area in EL29.  I don't think we will be hitting any grids further West on this trip.  Remind me of any grids 070 members need.  We also plan on activating St. Catherine Creek NWR (K-0392) and the Natchez Trace Parkway National Parkway (K-0642).  I will try to post when we will be in each area.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Richard Rohrer

Thanks for the info Milt.  You are much more hard core than the xyl and I are.  We like to say where its warm, hi hi.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Dick,
Maybe not the proper forum for our ornithological discussion....but....
I worked for Marinav Offshore Logistics. We were bought out by Oceaneering International. Global Marine then bought my division from Oceaneering Int'l.
St Paul Island in the Pribillof Is. chain is 4 miles wide, and 14 miles long, again, in the middle of the Bering Sea. I'm pretty mercenary about spending 4 months living on an Aleut Indian owned island, population about 450 folks with their tight knit island society. Believe me, I wasn't there pro bono by any means. Maybe in another 50 years or so I can tell you what I was doing there.
The birds? There are several species of birds that can only be viewed on St. Paul Is. Those species' summer on St Paul Is. and winter on the Kommander Is. of Russia, owned by the Russian military. Nobody goes to the Kommander's for anything, especially seismic boats surveying the ocean floor.
Check out the "Red Faced Cormorant".
One note, I had my brand new Kenwood TS-430 and a small MFJ wire tuner with me, and could run JA & HL stations on 30m cw, 24/7. It was fun, and on my return home to So. Louisiana, there was a shoebox of bureau cards to answer.
And all this time everybody thought I was just a pretty face :-) .
See you in the Valentine Sprint!
Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

Thanks for the info Milt.  You are much more hard core than the xyl and I are.  We like to say where its warm, hi hi.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Milt:

Were those birds spies ???

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 09:54:56 PM CST, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

Barry VA7GEM

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 01:26 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
The xyl and I are heading out around Feb 19th for a bird watching adventure in TX.  I am planning on operating from some of the grids I need for my goal of activating as many grids as I can.  We are going thru EM51, EM41, EM42, EM53, EM42, EM32, and EM31.  We will be taking the more Southern route thru LA so we will hit EL59 and EL39 both ways according to the current plan.  Most of our time will be spent around the Galveston area in EL29.  I don't think we will be hitting any grids further West on this trip.  Remind me of any grids 070 members need.  We also plan on activating St. Catherine Creek NWR (K-0392) and the Natchez Trace Parkway National Parkway (K-0642).  I will try to post when we will be in each area.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747
Dick
I am good for these grids but will keep you company when I can.
Barry
va7gem

Richard Rohrer

Hi Barry,

Nice to hear from you.  I generally will be on around 14.072 when on psk31.  We are leaving on Friday and will be spending the night in Laurel, MS.  Heading for St Catherines Creek NWR to activate it for POTA on Saturday for a couple of hours.  Then on to Natchez.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

We will be heading for EL39 tomorrow probably getting into the grid around 1830 GMT.  I will be on around 14.072.  If anyone still needs that grid send me an e-mail.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

Have not been  on psk much during this trip since most do not need any of the grids.  Did work one station from EL39 and then got to the hotel and received an email from Eric, KG6MZS.  Had to tell him he missed the opportunity to get the grid.  Realized the next morning we would be in the grid for most of the morning and sent a quick email to Eric.  We connected and conditions between LA and CA were really good.  Had a nice QSO and then stopped to do some bird watching and spotted over 1000 Greater Scaup out in the gulf and a Wimberl on the shore.  Good radio and bird start to the day.

The trip was almost derailed when we got to Arkansas, the xyl saw two snow plows which traumatized her.  But she did recover and we are now in Galveston.  Should be going back thru LA on the way home and will hit EL59 for anyone that still needs that grid (N7WE).

73
Dick - KC3EF

Eric KG6MZS

Thanks Dick!

You had a great signal and I really appreciate that you took time out from your vacation to make the contact. I'm glad you spotted some good birds as well.  Best f luck for you and your wife on the rest of your trip!

I get my second vaccine Sunday and I hope to be able to hit the road this spring and activate some grids so I can reciprocate.

Thanks again!  You rock!

73

Eric, KG6MZS

On 2/25/21 9:13 AM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
[...]

_._,_.