KC3EF EL59 Activation

Richard Rohrer

We are finally back in FL.  I wanted to make my comments the other day, but for some reason I could not get on the internet at the hotel.

The EL59 activation started out slowly.  We were 100 feet from the grid and we were stopped by a slow moving freight train, that then stopped and backed up, then went forward again.  Finally got free of it, but it was a crossed the entrance to  Chalemette Battlefield Park where we were going to park, but the entrance to the Chalmette National Cemetery next to it was open so that's where Kathy pull in.

Started call Rick, N7WE and then Bill, N7RI without any success.  Just seeing momentary traces then nothing.  Saw Eric, KG6MZS calling me up the band a bit and jumped up and answered him.  Copy was poor, but we did make a complete contact.  Call the others for a bit with no luck.  Decided to put the 40mtr hamstick on and try that band.  Gave a call on 40 and noticed that the swr was really bad and power out was about 20 watts.  Rick called me right away and he was arm chair copy.  Bob K4VBM was the next to give me a call and was 100% copy for GA.  The Lee, N5SLY popped in with a good signal from TX.  We left the cemetery because Kathy heard the train approaching and did not want to get caught on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak.  Worked Carl, N4LPD in FL who was great copy.  Train turned out just to be a single engine.  Was out of the grid, but then so headed down the road to FL.

I was a little surprised that 40 would be the better band, knowing that the antenna efficiency and low power would preclude good results, but that was the best copy I think for the whole trip.

Thanks for all who contacted during this tripl

73
Dick - KC3EF
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Jerry N9AVY

Sometimes 40m is open and no one realizes it.  Had that happen years ago on 160m and worked a guy in Iowa around noonish.

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, April 25, 2021, 11:20:05 AM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric KG6MZS

Dick,

Thanks again for activating EL59.  I am thrilled to have added it to my grid list.  The QSB on 20m had been pretty bad all weekend, but when you were in, you were 100% print with good looking rails.

I saw that you were calling N7WE and N7RI, that's why I was a couple of hundred Hz high in case they answered.

I'll probably want to pick your brain when I head out to activate some grids in Nevada this summer/fall.

Cheers,

Eric

KG6MZS

On 4/25/21 9:20 AM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
[...]

Hi Eric,

I will be happy to share my vast knowledge, hi hi.  It is fun to do and really not to hard.  Fortunately for me Kathy, my xyl, likes to travel and plans the trips to activate different grids.  There are a lot of un-activated grids in the West, so there are plenty of opportunities.  Its nice to be on the other side of the pile-up.

73
Dick - KC3EF