IEEE Future of Ham Radio

Jim K5SP

Interesting article. https://spectrum.ieee.org/ham-radio
--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Jim,

I appreciate the link.  I read the article but failed to find any reference to antenna restrictions as one of the reasons that there is a lack of new Amateur radio operators.  A growing number of young people in this country live in some kind of dwelling that has CCRs that restrict outside antennas.  It would be nice to read an article on why the Amateur Radio Parity Act was never passed.  From my perspective we will never see antenna restrictions go away.  Its been some time since I've even seen this topic even mentioned in QST.  ARRL is satisfied with status quo and only plays lip service to antenna restrictions.  I can't believe, but not surprised, the article even had climate change mentioned.  The author however never made an argument on how climate change might effect the hobby of Amateur Radio.  Sorry in my old age I have become a cynic. I'm open to other viewpoints.  Just be gentle.

Bob KK6KMU

Rick - N7WE

Indeed an interesting article Jim.  Thanks for posting the link.  It would be interesting to see what has happened over the last 40 years or so in terms of the number of IEEE members who are also licensed amateur radio operators or hold a GROL.  I suspect it has declined as we all age and continue to loose some of the great ones.  Fred Cady - KE7X (SK) whose publications were very helpful to me comes to mind.  IEEE continues to expand into new technologies, as they should, but I think that too is reducing the ham population amongst their membership.

Been sick since Friday night and just now catching up on almost 100 emails I found in Inbox.

The IEEE article wasn't clickable (slight inconvenience), but my local club has the same article only all I had to do was click on URL and was able to read it.  Seems like it was just a rehash of past articles which appeared elsewhere over the past few years from various sources.

Noticed comment about Antennas vs. HOAs.  WE should know that the lobby organization which represents the HOAs in a whole bunch bigger than ARRL; so, they might have more clout with the ears of those who make rules (money talks).

They also numbered ARRL membership at 160,000 which seems like a higher number than I last heard which was around 152,000. Look at SK list in QST and I think that may account for some of loses; especially when it was running almost 2 whole pages. It saddens me to see so many SK, many which I have worked over the years.

I might suggest that the article be taken with a grain of salt because no one really knows what the future will bring.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, October 9, 2021, 04:15:05 PM CDT, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:

Interesting article. https://spectrum.ieee.org/ham-radio
--
Jim,  K5SP #483

John Kirby

re ARRL's  BOD es
 "Amateur Radio Parity Act Petition" es
 $485,000  to fund "Lifelong Learning Initiative"

I literly cut page 75 from my April 2019 QST, made a copy of both sides, signed and dated my membership resignation sent to ARRL

N3AAZ
John 1941
HAM 1956
Retired 1997