IC-7300 with Fldigi - setup for PSK-31

ve3xdb

Good evening,

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in this forum, but I just spent 30 minutes searching, and couldn't find anything.  I apologize if I have missed something right under my nose.

I picked up my new Icom IC-7300 yesterday, and it's a nice rig.  Took awhile to figure things out, but I am getting close.  I now have it set up for cw, PSK31 and FT8.  Historically, I have used Kenwood rigs, so this is quite different.

My question.  Does anyone have a comprehensive source for optimizing PSK31 on the IC7300, using Fldigi and Flrig.  Specifically, I am trying to assess the bandwidth of my transmitted signal, and determine how to clean it up if needed.

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB

Generally if you show Zero ALC your signal will be clean.  You can ask the other station for your IMD and S/N and tell from that.  The closer the IMD is to the negative value of the S/N, the cleaner the signal.  Better yet if the other station is running Fldigi, have them bring up the Spectrum Scope and take a screenshot of it and have them email it to you.  Here is a good website that explains how to set your audio drive.

John
KC3FL

Mike W4BZM

I repeated see the admonition to adjust the audio until the ALC just start to move, and then adjust it back down to where the ALC doesn’t move at all.  While this method may be appropriate for Icom rigs, Yaesu seems to use a different philosophy for their ALC display.  There is a zone to the the left which displays permissible operation and a zone to the right which should be avoided.  So the procedure is to adjust the audio drive so the ALC indication stays in high side of the left zone .  (See attachment from the FTDX-10 Operating Manual.)  I’ve used this method for years on my FT-991 and am now using it on the FTDX-10, and I consistently get good signal reports.

Mike W4BZM

Jerry N9AVY

Not true of my FT-1000MP.   Adjust mic gain until no indication on ALC meter.

Jerry   n9avy  #454

On Thursday, June 24, 2021, 09:41:03 AM CDT, Mike W4BZM <behrcave@...> wrote:

I repeated see the admonition to adjust the audio until the ALC just start to move, and then adjust it back down to where the ALC doesn’t move at all.  While this method may be appropriate for Icom rigs, Yaesu seems to use a different philosophy for their ALC display.  There is a zone to the the left which displays permissible operation and a zone to the right which should be avoided.  So the procedure is to adjust the audio drive so the ALC indication stays in high side of the left zone .  (See attachment from the FTDX-10 Operating Manual.)  I’ve used this method for years on my FT-991 and am now using it on the FTDX-10, and I consistently get good signal reports.

Mike W4BZM

Doug,

Looking at those instructions for the FTDX10 looks like they are saying to turn on your processor.  Under no circumstances use processing, you'll wipe out the waterfall.  I have two Yaesu rigs and processing cannot be turned on in the data modes.  The FTDX10 is a great rig but they must be using some other method for the data modes.
The method I use was suggested to me by an ARRL OO years ago and that was to run the rig at full power, 100 watts and adjust the power out with the mic gain for the desired output.  Doing it that way I would have to boost the mic gain to put out 80 or 90 watts before I showed ALC and start to splash.

John
KC3FL

Stephen Melachrinos

I can't speak to other radios, but Mike's approach is true for my FT-817 and FT-857. If I adjust so there's no ALC indication on the 817's display, then I have no output.