IC7300 UFH Coverage??

Richard Rohrer

I know some of the members have IC7300 and I am curious as to which UHF bands they cover??  Since my IC7410 took a lightning hit I have been looking at new radios if the insurance money comes thru.  One of the major industrial supply companies has then on their website as UHF base radios at the heft price of $2,500.  This confused me, since I thought they were HF/50 radios.  Are these some kind of super IC7300 since they are also about twice the going price, hi hi.  I also so one for same used as a rare Icom radio for $1500 must be better than the new ones from the ham vendors to cost more.

Just a little humor on rig prices.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Jerry N9AVY

You should follow the sites with used radio.  If they were built in last decade the prices start at $500 and go up.. up.. up.  Love the comment on some 20 year old radios 'LIKE NEW"... seems like it's either new or not.
Some folks perception of reality is a bit skewed.   Most want local pickup with cash and will not ship.  Shipping is important because original packing has been tossed and radios need to be double boxed (remember the Samsonite luggage TV ads with the gorillas ?).

Jerry   n9avy

On Saturday, July 3, 2021, 11:15:28 AM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

I know some of the members have IC7300 and I am curious as to which UHF bands they cover??  Since my IC7410 took a lightning hit I have been looking at new radios if the insurance money comes thru.  One of the major industrial supply companies has then on their website as UHF base radios at the heft price of $2,500.  This confused me, since I thought they were HF/50 radios.  Are these some kind of super IC7300 since they are also about twice the going price, hi hi.  I also so one for same used as a rare Icom radio for $1500 must be better than the new ones from the ham vendors to cost more.

Just a little humor on rig prices.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Dick,
The 7300 is HF plus 50 MHz and is listed on DX Engineering for $999.99

John
KC3FL

Dick...
Jerry gave you a lot of words but didn't answer your question.
I also have an Icom IC-7300 that I bought new for this year's upcoming APE season.
It does not cover VHF or UHF.
Were I looking for a previously owned radio, I'd stick with known dealers.
That way, you should have recourse should you not be pleased with the radio.

If you're looking for a radio that has HF & VHF/UHF, that's different. There have been some nice radio's in the past that did that, and if you have patience, you'll be able to find locate one of those through a dealer.
I also have a new Yaesu FT-991A, that is HF, VHF/UHF that I got particularly for its VHF/UHF all mode capability.

Both the Yaesu and Icom are nice radio's. BUT, The Yaesu FT-991a comes with a useless manual, and is the least intuitive radio I've ever owned. It does have a good receiver.

Neither of the 2 radio's are my prime HF radio, but certainly could be if necessary.

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76

[...]

The 7300 does 160-6m  ... that's it !    Anything UHF bands would require some kind of converter'

Sorry slept in late and brain was fuzzy...

jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, July 3, 2021, 11:54:48 AM CDT, N6MG - Milt. via groups.io <n6mg@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Clements

I have an older ICOM IC-7000 that does HF plus 6 meters, 2 meters and 70 cm. However, my primary radio is the IC-7600.

The newer version of the IC-700 radio is the IC-7100. It does 100 watts on HF and 6 meters, 50 watts on 2 meters, and 25 watts on 70 cm.

The IC-7100 is small enough to be used as a mobile rig, but is capable of serving as a base station.

I know my IC-7000 can get pretty hot if running at full duty cycle modes. I presume the IC-7100 would have heat issues as well. There are a lot of electronics crammed into a small space, so room for heat sinks is limited.

Ray N9RWC

[...]

I guess my attempt at a little humor and commentary on used rig prices missed the mark a little.  I know that the IC7300 is a HF/50mhz rig and does not cover UHF.  I just found it interesting that two major industrial MRO suppliers have branded them as UHF and have them priced at twice what HRO or Gigaparts has them priced at.  I am not sure what industry would purchase these.  One of them even had the entire Icom ham line listed on their website.
As for used prices, I agree with Jerry, people seem to think 15 or 20 year old radios should be priced at what the paid for them, not as what they are probably worth.  I would not purchase an used radio unless I had a chance to operate it for a bit and never one off of ebay.  I also agree with Jerry on shipping, since if I have to send my IC7410 back to Icom to have it repaired the cost would probably be over $75 since it weights 22.5 lbs.  I have found that major shippers seem to over charge the individual to make up for the discounts they give the big companies.

Getting ready for the sprint, hope not Tstorms occur.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

I sold my TS-850SAT on Ebay and got low-balled on it, but it needed to go away. Bought it used around 1999-2000 for $1100 from a private party. Sold it for around $650.   Had a brand new in he box SR-8T which I bought new from AES in Milwaukee for $499 but sold it for around $400 after a couple $350 or less offers - hate those low ballers.

Still using FT-1000MP which I bought for around $1100 cash from a well-known area ham in early 2005. Got my money's worth out of it.

Yet, there are still some ops out there who have 10-0 year old radios they think are worth big bucks because they have "sentimental value" ... ohforpityssake !    Far too many hams out there who don't realize that much like cars when you take them home the price falls around 40%.

Lots of good deals on rigs out there, but one has to be extremely careful.

My $1.97 worth ...

Jerry  n9avy