Grid Expedition to DM17

Eric KG6MZS

Hello All,

I am in the preliminary planning stages of my foray into the California/Nevada hinterlands this May.  My understanding is that you all might want to work this grid in California and Nevada separately.  Is this true?  Because of it is, I'll set up two different locations.  If working both states separately makes no difference, I'll go straight to lovely Lida, Nevada and set up camp there.

Most certainly there will be no cell service and probably no APRS access either.  I will be only able to text via my Garmin InReach Iridium satellite connection.  It would probably be best to establish a contact in the group that would be willing to send me their cell phone number so I could send status texts and then that contact could relay  the status updates here in the group.

As of now I am looking at either the weekend of May 14-15 or May 21-22.  That may change so stay tuned.

73 Eric KG6MZS
www.kg6mzs.com

Rick - N7WE

Eric-
Count me in!  I need DM17.  As to one site or two, state makes no difference for the 070 Grid Award.  It is per grid - not state - and working DM17 fills the requirement for that grid for both CA and NV.

I'm retired and have to stay pretty close to home, so the weekends of May 14-15 or May 21-22 would be great and I would be available to work as your posting relay to the group.  Let me know if you would like me to help and I'll send you my cell number.

Hope this comes together for you.  Prepare for a pileup! Rain, shine, many Q's or few, you will have a blast!  73,

Eric KG6MZS

Thanks for responding Rick.  I've sent you an email and gotten your reply via text

I'm hoping that we have better band conditions than we've had the last few days.  I was on two SOTA summits yesterday and the furthest I got was New Mexico and Washington.  Conditions are very disturbed.

Thanks again Rick.  I am getting pretty excited about this!

Eric, KG6MZS

On 4/10/22 7:42 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Eric-
Count me in!  I need DM17.  As to one site or two, state makes no difference for the 070 Grid Award.  It is per grid - not state - and working DM17 fills the requirement for that grid for both CA and NV.

I'm retired and have to stay pretty close to home, so the weekends of May 14-15 or May 21-22 would be great and I would be available to work as your posting relay to the group.  Let me know if you would like me to help and I'll send you my cell number.

Hope this comes together for you.  Prepare for a pileup! Rain, shine, many Q's or few, you will have a blast!  73,

Stephen Melachrinos <melachri@...>

Eric -

I also need DM17--either state works for me too. Unfortunately we'll be out of the country for most of the month of May, and will miss those days.

I'll keep watching the reflector for your status, but put me on the "definite" list if you have to delay the trip.

[...]

Steve,

Bummer, sorry to hear that.  I will keep you in mind.  Nothing is set in stone yet.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 4/10/22 10:48 AM, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Barry VA7GEM

Eric
I have one contact from the Eureka Dunes Dry Camp (CA?)
and would like to get NV side.
TVM
Barry

Barry VA7GEM

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 10:48 AM, Stephen Melachrinos wrote:
Eric -

I also need DM17--either state works for me too. Unfortunately we'll be out of the country for most of the month of May, and will miss those days.

I'll keep watching the reflector for your status, but put me on the "definite" list if you have to delay the trip.

Maybe I could act as a relay repeater for you?
cheers
Barry

Eric KG6MZS

Barry,

I'm thinking about activating Magruder Mountain and perhaps Palmetto Mountain too near the ghost town of Lida:

https://sotl.as/summits/W7N/EM-027

So I will be in Nevada.  I'll keep you posted.

73 Eric KG6MZS

On 4/10/22 4:26 PM, Barry VA7GEM via groups.io wrote:

Eric
I have one contact from the Eureka Dunes Dry Camp (CA?)
and would like to get NV side.
TVM
Barry

Rick - N7WE

Wow Eric!  Did you see the posting for Endorsement Daze #6 - May 14 & 15?  WARC-Crawl and Chimp Chase!  If you can make your Gridpedition coincide with it you should get lots of action.  Glad to see you got Dick - KC3EF in the log.  This grid stuff is fun, fun, fun, but Oh So Challenging!  Whatever date you make it happen, I'll be looking for you and DM17.  73,

Eric KG6MZS

Thanks for pointing that out Rick. I was leaning toward the following weekend but this might just be enough to tip the scales back to the 14th & 15th.

Re KC3EF I should've waited because he came waaaay up out here on this side of the country after I signed with him and I could've given him a better report that a measly 459.  But knowing my luck, he would've blown his last fuse if I had waited.  Gotta make hay while the sun(spots) shines.

73 Eric KG6MZS

070# 814

http://kg6mzs.com/grid-expedition-to-dm17/

On 4/20/22 3:49 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Wow Eric!  Did you see the posting for Endorsement Daze #6 - May 14 & 15?  WARC-Crawl and Chimp Chase!  If you can make your Gridpedition coincide with it you should get lots of action.  Glad to see you got Dick - KC3EF in the log.  This grid stuff is fun, fun, fun, but Oh So Challenging!  Whatever date you make it happen, I'll be looking for you and DM17.  73,
_._