Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

Richard Rohrer

Do any 070 members know of an activation of this grid, EL84.  The xyl is looking a trips and is thinking of taking the ferry from Key West to the fort.  I was thinking of taking my FT817nd, fishing pole antenna, and tablet and trying to work some stations from that grid.  
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Stephen Melachrinos

As far as I know, that grid has never been activated on PSK31. I know it's been activated on 6m (for the ARRL Fred Fish Memorial Award), and numerous other times for IOTA purposes.

https://www.iota-world.org/islands-on-the-air/iota-groups-islands/group/594.html

But PSK31 I think would be new.

Steve
W3HF

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jan 9, 2021 2:55 pm
Subject: [070Club] Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

Do any 070 members know of an activation of this grid, EL84.  The xyl is looking a trips and is thinking of taking the ferry from Key West to the fort.  I was thinking of taking my FT817nd, fishing pole antenna, and tablet and trying to work some stations from that grid.  
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

That would also be a valid POTA reference: K-0023 - https://pota.us/#/parks/K-0023

Based on the POTA park stats page, it has been activated on SSB once, but never in any digital mode. So, if you are a POTA member, I would encourage you to submit your log. Advertising on the POTA spotter page would probably also give you a lot more traffic. 

73, Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Agreed. I did a look-see and came up empty also.
Q?...anyway you could bring more than 5 watts with you?
I've been there, and it's a nice place.
Milt.
N6MG

To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jan 9, 2021 12:16 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

As far as I know, that grid has never been activated on PSK31. I know it's been activated on 6m (for the ARRL Fred Fish Memorial Award), and numerous other times for IOTA purposes.

https://www.iota-world.org/islands-on-the-air/iota-groups-islands/group/594.html

But PSK31 I think would be new.

Steve
W3HF

To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jan 9, 2021 2:55 pm
Subject: [070Club] Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Richard Rohrer

Hi Karl,

I am aware of POTA and have already done a couple of activations.  I will find out who did the activation and ask them what they took with them and how they managed it. 

Milt, 
I would like to run higher power, but I can seem to get the xyl interested in carrying the 105AH deep cycle battery, hi hi.  We will have to carry everything for the day, so I am looking at keeping it as light as possible. 

I will let the group know when and if this is going to happen.

Dick - KC3EF

malcolm heard

Wondering if there are grids in Nebraska people are looking for?  For 6 meters I recall en01 and en02 being tough to get.  

Malcolm 
Ke0jbt

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

--

Malcolm Heard, M.S.
7516 South 37th Street
Lincoln, NE 68516
heardmalcolm2017@...

Leadership • Culture • Talent

Bill Williams

When we visited the island a group of divers were spending the night so they had a lot of gear.  They had it piled in the front of the cabin but when we got to the dock they had three folding luggage carriers and loaded most of the stuff on them.  There was at least one non-diver in the group, maybe more.  One guy ended up carrying his tanks but the carriers they had sure reduced the load on the rest, mostly small personal type bag and a sleeping bag each.  I did wonder where they were going to camp and how the small wheels on the carriers would cope with sand if they had much to go through.  They were still loading and mulling around when we went inside and I never saw them again.

I just checked the WARC channels and see no PSK activity on any of them here in West Central Florida.  20M has a few traces but I did not pause there.

Bill
AG4QX

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:59 AM Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:
Hi Karl,

I am aware of POTA and have already done a couple of activations.  I will find out who did the activation and ask them what they took with them and how they managed it. 

Milt, 
I would like to run higher power, but I can seem to get the xyl interested in carrying the 105AH deep cycle battery, hi hi.  We will have to carry everything for the day, so I am looking at keeping it as light as possible. 

Dick - KC3EF

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Depending on what you call high power, and what your planned operating time would be, you might be surprised at what your power needs are (I’ll bet you won’t need anything like the 50AH that a 105 AH deep cycle LA battery would give you) and how heavy a battery sized to meet those needs would be.

In particular LiFePO3 batteries are far lighter and can be drawn down further than SLA batteries.  So some careful measurement of how many watt hours you would need and some perusing of the websites of the various LiFePO3 battery purveyors might be useful.

That’s the good news.  The bad news is that those LiFePO3 batteries are sort of expensive.  But companies have been known to contribute/loan gear to DX expeditions, so maybe an email to Bioenno would get you a battery to use to activate EI84 at a power level higher than 5w.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Karl,

Milt, 

Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

EL84 is not on my list of needed grids; so I must have worked someone there... or a typo.  Subject line looks like EI84, but don't ned that one either.

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 01:55:40 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

Dick, 

unfortunately, there is no direct link to the park stats, you will have to click a few times: Go to https://stats.parksontheair.com/reports/park-locations.php and select "Florida US-FL" from the list and click on "Submit", then click on the "K-0023" button in the first column. This will list all activation attempts for this park. Justin KN4MQR activated the park on 02/29/2020.

Hope that helps, 

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Stephen Melachrinos

Jerry -

If your list of needed grids is based only on the 070 list, then you won't find EL84. It was eliminated (along with ~30 other grids) as being unreasonable because there was too little land mass in the grid. 

But I'll bet you don't HAVE EL84 on PSK. You might have it on another mode, as most operations there are either for IOTA or FFMA purposes, but a look at the NA-079 activations list on iota-world.org doesn't reveal any callsigns that I remember for PSK operation. 

Steve
W3HF

Sent: Sun, Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm

EL84 is not on my list of needed grids; so I must have worked someone there... or a typo.  Subject line looks like EI84, but don't ned that one either.

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 01:55:40 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Rick - N7WE

Several years ago when I was still /P capable and living in central Florida, I looked hard at doing PSK31 from Dry Tortugas NP.  I searched extensively, but never found any record of a PSK activation. It has been activated CW and SSB.  There were several during the ARRL NPOTA.  

It's a tough one.  If you don't have your own ocean capable boat, you are limited to a commercial seaplane transit (currently $361 per person for half day - 2 1/2 hours on the island; $634 full day - 6 1/2 hours on island) or a daily commercial ferry trip (currently $190 per person - about 5 hours on the island).  There are no facilities on the island.  No electricity, no cell service, no wifi.  You have to take it all with you - including drinking water!

Maybe if I had been 10 years younger back then......   
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Steve:

My ist was based on 070 IOTA list, of course.  Forgot that a few were dropped because of no activity on PSK.  Thanks for mentioning that.  Been a hellish week witha 3 day hospital stay. 

Jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, January 10, 2021, 06:22:56 PM CST, Stephen Melachrinos via groups.io <melachri@...> wrote:

Jerry -

If your list of needed grids is based only on the 070 list, then you won't find EL84. It was eliminated (along with ~30 other grids) as being unreasonable because there was too little land mass in the grid. 

But I'll bet you don't HAVE EL84 on PSK. You might have it on another mode, as most operations there are either for IOTA or FFMA purposes, but a look at the NA-079 activations list on iota-world.org doesn't reveal any callsigns that I remember for PSK operation. 

Steve
W3HF

Sent: Sun, Jan 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Jerry  n9avy

--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Jerry N9AVY

Expensive . Ouch !

On Sunday, January 10, 2021, 06:57:50 PM CST, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Several years ago when I was still /P capable and living in central Florida, I looked hard at doing PSK31 from Dry Tortugas NP.  I searched extensively, but never found any record of a PSK activation. It has been activated CW and SSB.  There were several during the ARRL NPOTA.  

It's a tough one.  If you don't have your own ocean capable boat, you are limited to a commercial seaplane transit (currently $361 per person for half day - 2 1/2 hours on the island; $634 full day - 6 1/2 hours on island) or a daily commercial ferry trip (currently $190 per person - about 5 hours on the island).  There are no facilities on the island.  No electricity, no cell service, no wifi.  You have to take it all with you - including drinking water!

Maybe if I had been 10 years younger back then......   
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Since our primary purpose was bird watching and visiting the fort, I don't think my radio time will be more than a couple hours at the most.  Still looking at alternatives to the 817, but weight is a consideration, since we would be going by the ferry and not staying.  The ferry price is discounted if you are old and we already have our parks pass so that reduces the cost some what. The ferry will provide drinking water and lunch. Trying to decide what kind of antenna would be the best in the limitations of going to a historic site.  I have a 17ft pole that colipases to about 3 1/2 feet.  Not sure if a 20mtr dipole or a vertical would be the best.  With the dipole it would probably end up as a Vee.  I am trying to eliminate the need for an antenna turner.  The vertical would only need the pole and some radials.  Any thoughts on what would work the best.  

Karl, I checked the POTA site and found that Justin had activated previously and sent him and enquiry and what he used.  

Dick - KC3EF

Richard Rohrer

Well the Dry Tortugas bubble just burst.  I found out a special use permit is required and the permit fee is $100.00 which is a little too much for a couple of hours of operating.  Milt I will take a look at the web page you suggested since I plan on doing more POTA activations.  

Dick - KC3EF