From: Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...>
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jan 9, 2021 2:55 pm
Subject: [070Club] Grid El84, Dry Tortugas

Do any 070 members know of an activation of this grid, EL84.  The xyl is looking a trips and is thinking of taking the ferry from Key West to the fort.  I was thinking of taking my FT817nd, fishing pole antenna, and tablet and trying to work some stations from that grid.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

That would also be a valid POTA reference: K-0023 - https://pota.us/#/parks/K-0023

Based on the POTA park stats page, it has been activated on SSB once, but never in any digital mode. So, if you are a POTA member, I would encourage you to submit your log. Advertising on the POTA spotter page would probably also give you a lot more traffic.

73, Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Agreed. I did a look-see and came up empty also.
Q?...anyway you could bring more than 5 watts with you?
I've been there, and it's a nice place.
Milt.
N6MG

As far as I know, that grid has never been activated on PSK31. I know it's been activated on 6m (for the ARRL Fred Fish Memorial Award), and numerous other times for IOTA purposes.

https://www.iota-world.org/islands-on-the-air/iota-groups-islands/group/594.html

But PSK31 I think would be new.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:59 AM Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:
Hi Karl,

I am aware of POTA and have already done a couple of activations.  I will find out who did the activation and ask them what they took with them and how they managed it.

Milt,
I would like to run higher power, but I can seem to get the xyl interested in carrying the 105AH deep cycle battery, hi hi.  We will have to carry everything for the day, so I am looking at keeping it as light as possible.

I will let the group know when and if this is going to happen.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

 Depending on what you call high power, and what your planned operating time would be, you might be surprised at what your power needs are (I’ll bet you won’t need anything like the 50AH that a 105 AH deep cycle LA battery would give you) and how heavy a battery sized to meet those needs would be.

In particular LiFePO3 batteries are far lighter and can be drawn down further than SLA batteries.  So some careful measurement of how many watt hours you would need and some perusing of the websites of the various LiFePO3 battery purveyors might be useful.

That’s the good news.  The bad news is that those LiFePO3 batteries are sort of expensive.  But companies have been known to contribute/loan gear to DX expeditions, so maybe an email to Bioenno would get you a battery to use to activate EI84 at a power level higher than 5w.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Karl,

I am aware of POTA and have already done a couple of activations.  I will find out who did the activation and ask them what they took with them and how they managed it.

Milt,
I would like to run higher power, but I can seem to get the xyl interested in carrying the 105AH deep cycle battery, hi hi.  We will have to carry everything for the day, so I am looking at keeping it as light as possible.

I will let the group know when and if this is going to happen.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

EL84 is not on my list of needed grids; so I must have worked someone there... or a typo.  Subject line looks like EI84, but don't ned that one either.

Jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 01:55:40 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Do any 070 members know of an activation of this grid, EL84.  The xyl is looking a trips and is thinking of taking the ferry from Key West to the fort.  I was thinking of taking my FT817nd, fishing pole antenna, and tablet and trying to work some stations from that grid.
--
Dick - KC3EF
070 - 747

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

Dick,

unfortunately, there is no direct link to the park stats, you will have to click a few times: Go to https://stats.parksontheair.com/reports/park-locations.php and select "Florida US-FL" from the list and click on "Submit", then click on the "K-0023" button in the first column. This will list all activation attempts for this park. Justin KN4MQR activated the park on 02/29/2020.

Hope that helps,

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Stephen Melachrinos

Jerry -

If your list of needed grids is based only on the 070 list, then you won't find EL84. It was eliminated (along with ~30 other grids) as being unreasonable because there was too little land mass in the grid.

But I'll bet you don't HAVE EL84 on PSK. You might have it on another mode, as most operations there are either for IOTA or FFMA purposes, but a look at the NA-079 activations list on iota-world.org doesn't reveal any callsigns that I remember for PSK operation.