Topics

Great Pumpkin 160 M Sprint Results

stan W9SMR

This year we hoped that 160M conditions would improve and participation would increase, and our hopes were rewarded!

This year there were 24 logs submitted with 8 High Power, 9 Medium Power, 4 Low Power and 3 QRP. 16 States and 1 Province were worked. This is up significantly from last year’s 11 logs.

Top Dawg and 1st in Medium Power 50W was Stan, W9SMR/9 of Fremont, IN, with 21 QSOs, 13 states and 315 points. This is a rare win for Stan. He credits his Jury-rigged Inv-L for his success. That, and a successful push to grab the rare Top Band 20 Endorsement.

Second Place in Medium Power 50W was John, KC2RXS, of Riner, VA with 18 QSOs, 12 states and 252 points. Third Place was Randy, W4RTT of Covington, KY  with 17 QSOs, 11 states and 221 points.

First Place in the High Power 100W category was Bob, KF3AA, of Huntington, MD with 19 QSOs, 12 states and 266 points. Bob was Top Dawg and first Place in the Jay Hudak 80M Sprint this year. With this he will continue his climb to the RC3 Championship.

Second Place in the High Power 100W category was Tom, W8TOM of Atlanta, MI with 15 QSOs, 11 states and 195 points.  Third Place was Charles, VA3TTB of Holland Landing, ON with 12 QSOs, 9 states and 120 points. Special mention for Barry, VA7GEM who did his best to break thru the noise from BC. Don’t give up, Barry, better days are ahead. Thanks for being in there.

Repeating his 2019 First Place win in the Low Power 25 W category was Steve, W3HF of Collegeville, PA with 10 QSOs, 8 states and 100 points. Steve is also hotly chasing the RC3 Championship.

Second Place in Low Power 25W was recent new member Rick, WA8UMT of Novi, MI with 6 QSOs, 5 states and 36 points. Third Place was recent new member, David, WA3LXD of Ft. McCoy, FL with 4 QSOs, 4 states and 20 points.

Hard to believe, but we had 3 successful entries in QRP Power. In First Place QRP Power, was Don, KM4UDX of Vienna, VA with 10 QSOs, 8 states and 100 points.

Second Place QRP was non-member Joseph, W1TW of Attleboro, MA with 4 QSOs, 3 states and 16 points. In Third Place was Peter, NN9K of Colona, IL with 3 QSOs, 3 states and 12 points. He was the first place QRP winner in this year’s Jay Hudak 80M Sprint. He is also on the short list of RC2 Championship.

The PODXS “All Amateurs Welcome” policy continues to enhance our overall experience. Special thanks are due to Steve, AA8SW of Cincinnati, OH; Homer, N5JDT of Alamogordo, NM; and Joseph, W1TW of Attleboro, MA. Thank you all for participating and we look forward to greeting you soon as a new members.

Note that the Top Dawg Certificate and Rollo Dog Tag will be reserved exclusively for members.

Thanks to all who submitted logs.  Stickers will be in the next mailing.

We again are deeply indebted to David, K9DWR, who established the upload link and parsed the contest results. Thank You, David!

It is not too early to start thinking about your participation in the next PODXS 070 Event, the Triple Play Low Band Sprint. This is another great opportunity to put some 160M  Q’s in the log for the Top Band 20 Endorsement.

Triple Play Low Band Sprint

Saturday, November 14 thru Monday, November 16

See Rules at:   Triple Play Low Band Sprint Triple Play Rules

73,
Stan
W9SMR - 070  #1611
PODXS 070 - PR Director

Randy True

Thanks for the Great Pumpkin Contest. I haven't worked any contests in a while and was happy for the 3rd place considering I only worked it for 2 hours!

Randy W4RTT

Rick - N7WE

My congrats to Stan W9SMR/9 for his Top Dawg in the Great Pumpkin AND simultaneously completing the Top Band Endorsement - on a "jury-rigged" Inverted L!  Way to go Stan!  Awesome!

Barry VA7GEM

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:36 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
My congrats to Stan W9SMR/9 for his Top Dawg in the Great Pumpkin AND simultaneously completing the Top Band Endorsement - on a "jury-rigged" Inverted L!  Way to go Stan!  Awesome!
Stan
If you should find the time I would be most interested in your antenna configuration. I attempted a similar layout with much less spectacular results.
From the shack I have 75" of RG400 which connects to the base of a B'nut HX9V. This does a great job on 80-6m but typically good is never enough and I wish to dip my toe in 160M. Starting at the feedpoint of the B'nut I used a 50pF doorknob cap to connect 132" of multistrand wire to the feedpoint. This seems to tune well and makes a few 160M FT8 contacts since Jan01/2018. They range from 27-6517Kms. I am struggling with defining next step for improvement,
Cheers, stay safe, hug the family
Barry
VA7GEM

Barry VA7GEM

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 06:02 AM, <boat.anchor@...> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:36 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
My congrats to Stan W9SMR/9 for his Top Dawg in the Great Pumpkin AND simultaneously completing the Top Band Endorsement - on a "jury-rigged" Inverted L!  Way to go Stan!  Awesome!
Stan
If you should find the time I would be most interested in your antenna configuration. I attempted a similar layout with much less spectacular results.
From the shack I have 75" of RG400 which connects to the base of a B'nut HX9V. This does a great job on 80-6m but typically good is never enough and I wish to dip my toe in 160M. Starting at the feedpoint of the B'nut I used a 50pF doorknob cap to connect 132" of multistrand wire to the feedpoint. This seems to tune well and makes a few 160M FT8 contacts since Jan01/2018. They range from 27-6517Kms. I am struggling with defining next step for improvement,
Cheers, stay safe, hug the family
Barry
VA7GEM
I should mention the multi strand starts at ground level running vertical for 32", then hor W-E for 40" then right angle N-S
for the balance
cheers
Barry