Firecracker - Win 10 - PSK software ?

Steve WB3LGC

Rick,

your note about W10 playing nice...

My shack computer is using a W10 OS(6 months new) and have been trying a few different PSK/logging programs.  For Firecracker, I used WinWabler and suite.  I have used Fldigi, but I like the ability to use F keys on the keyboard.  I spent a hour or so trying N1MM+, too.  I need to spend more time with it...

What are "you all" using?

Mostly, I have used Fldigi with a Raspberry Pi and VNC'd to the RPi from my laptop using a very nice comfortable "Easy Boy"...

I have "told" W10, don't sent "reports" to Microsoft.  I have not added virus checkers (using "stock").  I use an external USB sound card and as long as I don't run YouTube while PSK'ing, I am OK.  I did have to go and re-set the audio "pointers" at the beginning...

I would like to see N1MM+, N3FJP's software, and DXLab (WinWarbler) for Linux.  I am very happy I removed W10 from my laptop and added Linux Mint (2+ years ago) and I did get a family discount on W10 for the shack computer.  For the most part, LoTW is my LOG, I upload and forget...  I do "try" to rename .adi files and keep them.

Anyway, Firecracker logs are uploaded to LoTW and contest web.  I only got to work about 3 hours consecutively.  Better planning as I needed to get up early for Church - did - didn't even park - went elsewhere, later (don't ask).

73, steve WB3LGC

On 7/4/21 5:00 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Superior Dick!  Put me down for DM85, DM87 and DM53.  Sure you have to wait until October? - hi hi!  On second thought, wait until October.  Maybe by then I'll have this new Win 10 computer figured out and playing nice with the radio.  Firecracker was a bust with them not cooperating with each other.  Gave up after only making 4 Qs and a gazillion "sending report to Microsoft" messages.  Best to Kathy...travel safe...Happy 4th!

Steve:

Over using N3FJP ACLog which I've used for years; also , have MixW 3..  Very happy with both, but I'm somewhat easy to please.

WIN 10 ?  I dislike it.  Use win XP and WIN 7, but 10 was too much nonsense.  Wait until WIN 11 comes out and it looks to be soon. My Son (N9JQK is working with it somewhat and not thrilled).  I wish someone would come up with a system that would never need upgrading or patches - ugh, Microslop !

Why doeas WIN 10 need to send reports to Microsoft ???   Do you really think they care or even look at them ?

jerry  n9avy

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 05:07:17 PM CDT, stephen shearer <sm.shearer.01@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Steinkamp

Jerry

Win XP and Win7 are deprecated Operating System and here pretty soon you will not be able to access much with either because most Websites will not let you in if you are using either of those systems.  It is very easy for a website to not only check which browser you are using, but also the operating system.

Win10 is actually a good Robust system.  As for sending Data to MS, you can disable that in the OS configuration.

Jerry N9AVY wrote on 7/4/2021 15:36:

[...]

Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ
Scud Missile Coordinates
N32.2319 W110.8477

Steve WB3LGC

Jeff,

yes...  I turn OFF anything I can on W10.  I "seem" to remember a shutoff for "report to Microsoft", I'll look but I don't remember (maybe when it came up).

I DO like Mint...  It DOES updates, often (when I want).  Only a few ever require a re-boot.  (btw, I tell W10 NOT to update for the next 30 days).  Mint, runs as fast as it did two years ago.

YES, what is needed is a stripped W10 OS and like basic Linux, only load the applications if needed.  All the "fuzzy" stuff, off.  (the NEW PC makers won't like it as an OLD computer will run fast longer...)

steve WB3LGC

On 7/4/21 6:44 PM, Jeff Steinkamp wrote:
Jerry

Win XP and Win7 are deprecated Operating System and here pretty soon you will not be able to access much with either because most Websites will not let you in if you are using either of those systems.  It is very easy for a website to not only check which browser you are using, but also the operating system.

Win10 is actually a good Robust system.  As for sending Data to MS, you can disable that in the OS configuration.

Rick - N7WE

Steve and all-
They say confession is good for the soul, so let me begin by confessing that I am technologically obsolete.  Have been ever since I left the work world and had no need to keep up.  That, couple with the fact that my ability to learn seems to be in an inverse relation with my age, leaves me "stupid" about lots of things others know.  At this point in my life, learning Linux just isn't going to happen.  So I just "get by with a little help from my friends."

The upgrade of the laptop was dictated by necessity.  Can't get a battery that will work with the old Win 7 laptop - believe me I've tried!  And need the laptop for portable digital ops - think Chimp Chase.  The move to Win 10 has been compounded by the fact that I still have lots of legacy programs (XP and before) that I had managed to keep running over the years.  I only recently gave up and updated from Office 2000 - primarily because it was becoming a pain to open the Excel and Word documents I was getting from others....I was doing semaphore when the other guy was doing signal lamp.  (Did you know the Navy now has a Flashing Light to Text Converter (FLTC)?  It allows: "sailors who aren't experts in Morse code to quickly send and receive ship-to-ship messages with signal lamps.")

The current ham setup is HRD, Logbook, and DM780 for digital.  I've used HRD since way back in the Simeon days.  Had everything running FB on XP and then Win 7 but haven't upgraded to the latest HRD releases in quite some time.  I used PC Mover to move programs to the new laptop and there were drivers and other things that did not move correctly.  Got that sorted for most things, including the radio stuff.  I use a microHAM USB III interface to my K3.  Working though the virtual ports and soundcard settings took a bit of doing, but I got on-air and got a clean trace report from friend Don - K9DEB.  Thanks Don!  I have an IMD meter and that really helps with configuring drive levels.

The issues in the Firecracker were with DM780 lockups and crashes (thus the Microsoft reports) and not executing call sign lookup properly using QRZ subscription.  My darling wife suggested a clean reload of HRD might be the answer.  That caused me to think that I haven't updated HRD in quite some time and now that I'm on Win 10 there are probably some conflicts with how I had the old win 7 setup configured .  So I'll do a download and update of HRD.  One of the nice things is once you buy it, updates are free (except for new features) and I don't buy the annual mtce subscriptions.

OK, too much talk.  Over to anyone else.....

JoAnn Donaldson

Take a look at N7YG's PSKExpress Software. It is Free and really works great. I use it all the time for my PSK operations. As a backup I have FLDIGI. For my Logger I use N3fjp's ACLog. It interfaces with both PSKExpress and FLDIGI.  Have never used HRD, so can not help with that.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 7:05:08 PM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Steve,
It was over a year ago I built an new desktop computer for myself.  I decided to move up to windows 10.  I was reluctant to upgrade myself but have no issues with it.  Yes the interface is different and things are in different places but works for me.  I started with WInWarbler and liked it.  The whole DX labs suite is really good.  I use Spotter, View and Keeper daily.

I changed to FLDIGI because I really think it is a more robust piece software than WinWarbler.  My opinion.  I was using a FLDIGI to DXLabs software bridge and everything was just the way I wanted it.  When I upgrade to Win 10 the bridge no longer worked and the author of the bridge has not yet rewritten the bridge.  I really like the like the DX Labs suite because it works really well with JS8CALL and the WSJT software.  For now I'm logging with FLDIGI and exporting to DXKeeper.  I use N1MM+ Logger for most contest.

Bob
KK6KMU

Dave Corio

Bob, the DXLabs-FLDigi Gateway will work with Win 10, once you get it installed. It took me three times to install with no errors but have been using it for close to a year now with no issues. Have you tried installing only the base program without the update? That's how I installed mine (eventually!), then just have to copy the upgrade .exe file into the directory. Also, allow the installer to place the Gateway in the default (C:\) directory.

Hope this helps
73
Dave - K1DJE

On 7/5/2021 2:10 PM, Bob Motyl KK6KMU wrote:
[...]

Dave,

Well I haven't tried to load the bridge but I will per your instructions.  I will let you know if it works

Bob
KK6KMU