Topics

Eisenhower Birthday Special Event

Leland Sly

For many years now the Grayson County ARC has hosted a Special Event to commemorate the birthday of President Dwight Eisenhower in October. We'll be using the W5I, W5K & W5E call signs this year. This year we are going to team up with the POTA (Parks On The Air) folks. Our call signs are registered with the POTA program. There are 5 POTA parks that I am aware of related to Eisenhower...

K-3005 Eisenhower State Park in TX

K-2335 Eisenhower State Park in KS

K-0810 Eisenhower National Historic Site in PA

K-6553 Eisenhower Birthplace State Historical Site in TX

K-2650 Eisenhower Memorial Wayside in NH

We have operators committed to the parks in TX and PA. If you enjoy activating POTA sites and would like to participate in our Special Event in KS or NH please let me know. We love to have guest operators participate in our events.

Our special events only have 2 rules...

You must follow the band plan for the license you hold &
You must send your log of contacts made to me when the special event is over.

You are free to operate as much or as little as you like during the event.  You can use any band and any mode you want to.

So if you really enjoy PSK and getting out and setting up in the field this may be something you would be interested in.  If you would like additional information just send me an email...n5sly@...

Thanks & 73

Lee N5SLY

Jim K5SP

Is this the entire month of October?  Are the TX locations at the actual sites?

Possibly can (Covid permitting) volunteer some PSK operating, if needed.

Jim K5SP

--
Jim,  K5SP #483

Leland Sly

Thanks for the questions Jim.  The special event is held October 10, 2020 0000z - October 18, 2020 2359z.  All the sites I listed are actual parks and historical sites.  For example, the Eisenhower State Park in TX is on the south shore of Lake Texoma near Pottsboro, TX.  The Eisenhower Birthplace State Historical Site is located near downtown Denison, TX.  The actual house where Ike was born is still there and you can take a tour of it.  We would love to have you participate and make some PSK contacts during the event.  If you don't want to venture out you can still operate from home if you wish.

73

Lee N5SLY