DM53

Richard Rohrer

We are currently in DM54bb only two mingrids until dm53.

Stephen Melachrinos

Dick is still in DM53--just managed a QSO.

One thing he just confirmed is that signal strength depends on orientation of the car. 

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 8:13 pm
Subject: [070Club] DM53

Stephen Melachrinos

Sorry, didn't finish that.

My guess on the car orientation is that his antenna pattern is affected by how much of the car is between the whip antenna and the direction of the station--basically how much of a ground plane exists at that azimuth. So if (for example) the antenna is on the left rear bumper, there would be almost nothing going in my direction (ENE) from him if he was driving NW. But if the road were to turn and go NE a bit, that could add significantly to the ground plane and thus to the pattern in my way.

Steve
W3HF

To: main@070Club.groups.io <main@070Club.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 8:58 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] DM53

Dick is still in DM53--just managed a QSO.

One thing he just confirmed is that signal strength depends on orientation of the car. 

To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 8:13 pm
Subject: [070Club] DM53

Rick - N7WE

Steve-
At the risk of speaking for Dick while he is in transit, here's a bit of info about his mount.  At least this is the way it was when we had lunch a couple of years ago.  The vehicle is a van and the antenna base (ham stick) is at about the midline of the van, on the driver's side rear.  I think he used a FireStik SS204 mount placed under the tail light assembly with the 3/8-S0239 nub about a half inch in the clear.  Given the 48" length of the lower half of the helical wound Ham Stick, about half of it is above the roofline.  Of course, the whip is well clear.  I think probably what impacts the pattern more than anything is the location of the antenna to the rear of the vehicle and the counterpoise from the van body being offset as opposed to centered.  That would explain the signal strength based on vehicle orientation.  My thoughts anyway.  I was too dumb to ever figure out a mobile mounting so just went with /P during my travels - magmount Ham Stick in the center of the vehicle roof.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Stephen Melachrinos

Rick -

That makes sense. I guess I shouldn't have been as specific about ground planes as I was, but your details are consistent with the thought: most antenna mounts on mobile vehicles will favor some directions and dis-favor others, due to the interactions between the antenna and the body of the vehicle, and the unique placement of the antenna.

Maybe we need to suggest that Kathy find a parking lot and drive in circles and let Dick stop her when there is maximum signal strength for each QSO. Only problem is that will delay their travels. (just kidding about the suggestion)

Steve

To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 5:31 pm

Steve-
At the risk of speaking for Dick while he is in transit, here's a bit of info about his mount.  At least this is the way it was when we had lunch a couple of years ago.  The vehicle is a van and the antenna base (ham stick) is at about the midline of the van, on the driver's side rear.  I think he used a FireStik SS204 mount placed under the tail light assembly with the 3/8-S0239 nub about a half inch in the clear.  Given the 48" length of the lower half of the helical wound Ham Stick, about half of it is above the roofline.  Of course, the whip is well clear.  I think probably what impacts the pattern more than anything is the location of the antenna to the rear of the vehicle and the counterpoise from the van body being offset as opposed to centered.  That would explain the signal strength based on vehicle orientation.  My thoughts anyway.  I was too dumb to ever figure out a mobile mounting so just went with /P during my travels - magmount Ham Stick in the center of the vehicle roof.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Barry VA7GEM

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 04:32 PM, Stephen Melachrinos wrote:
Rick -
Maybe we need to suggest that Kathy find a parking lot and drive in circles and let Dick stop her when there is maximum signal strength for each QSO. Only problem is that will delay their travels. (just kidding about the suggestion)

Steve

Steve
I believe Rick did just this on occasion for me.
Barry

Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 5:31 pm

Steve-
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Steve et all,

Your signal went up greatly when we moved the car basically 90 degrees, even though the hamstick should have been in a favorable direction to you.  Kathy and I did an experiment one time to determine if vehicle orientation made any difference to signal strength.  Since it was only anecdotally determine without the benefit of a calibrated range we found that vehicle orientation did not seem to make much difference.  Have found that being near tractor trailers seems to effect the swr, however. 

Still have not been able to figure out why the swr went to infinity yesterday.  Checked all connections and ran some tests and everything was fine.  Today swr never went over 3:1, usually down around 2:1.  Told the xyl that maybe the antenna over heated, hi hi.  She said at 80 mph with a 20 mph cross wind the antenna should have been air cooled. 

Dick - KC3EF  

Stephen Melachrinos

Dick -

Thanks for the explanation. We appreciate all that you and Kathy are doing.

Steve
W3HF

Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Steve et all,

Your signal went up greatly when we moved the car basically 90 degrees, even though the hamstick should have been in a favorable direction to you.  Kathy and I did an experiment one time to determine if vehicle orientation made any difference to signal strength.  Since it was only anecdotally determine without the benefit of a calibrated range we found that vehicle orientation did not seem to make much difference.  Have found that being near tractor trailers seems to effect the swr, however. 

Still have not been able to figure out why the swr went to infinity yesterday.  Checked all connections and ran some tests and everything was fine.  Today swr never went over 3:1, usually down around 2:1.  Told the xyl that maybe the antenna over heated, hi hi.  She said at 80 mph with a 20 mph cross wind the antenna should have been air cooled. 

Dick - KC3EF  

Rick - N7WE

Dick-
I second what Steve said!  You and Kathy really are doing a wonderful service for your fellow 070 members that are chasing grids.  You are PSK TRAVELERS extraordinaire!  You make every effort to give the grids to those that want.  Thank you so much.  Safe travels and enjoy the event!  We'll look for you in the audience and wave if we see you - hi hi!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Just my two cents.  Propagation has something to do with this also.  Yesterday I saw the other end of Dicks QSOs.  Could not even make out his trace but saw almost everyone he had a QSO with.  SSB on 20 meters allowed me QSO's all the way across the country but states nearly were silent.  I experienced this the last two days hunting Parks on the air.  I will never understand the mystery of propagation.

Bob KK6KMU

Rick - N7WE

The best explanation of propagation I've ever heard was from Chief Dan George as Old Lodge Skins in Little Big Man: 

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

Yes, that seems like a good explanation as any, hi hi.  Kathy and I are sitting in the end of the arena over the kiss and cry area so you can see if you can see us.  

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Dianne has the DVR running so we can do replays!  We'll slowmo the long shots of the kiss and cry and scan for you.  Too bad we don't have you two in our facial recognition program - hi hi!  We'll be sure to wave at the TV if we see you.  Stay warm in there and enjoy the spectacular skating!  Will look for you on the waterfall from DM15.  
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602