DM17 - Thank You PODX 070 Club!

Eric KG6MZS

Rick and Other Esteemed Phaseshifters,

Thank you all for the inspiration for this trip.  And thank you for chasing me into the far-flung wilds of Nevada - land of UFOs, Area 51 and atomic tests.

I have been planning this trip for many years and I must give credit where credit is due: it was you all the motivated me to actually get out of the shack chair and help make this long standing dream come true.

I came back to a backlog of work, so I am sorry I didn't get this out sooner.  I am starting a rather detailed blog page with lots of pics from this extremely photogenic outing.  That may take a while -- especially the video I have started -- but I wanted to get this out.

I was met with some challenges.  First, my nephew who was to go along as a videographer/photogapher and all-around companion had to back out at the last minute due to work at the college where they teach.  So I was on my own as I started up the Owens Valley against a headwind like I have never seen in all my years of traveling highway 396.  This really killed my gas mileage and the dust was like a thick fog.  I worried that it would be too windy to set up camp.  As it turned out by the time I went over Westgard Pass in the White Mountains, the wind moderated and all was good.

I hiked up Palmetto Mountain (8,940') and Harvey Peak (9,285') and activated them for the very first time for SOTA and had lots of SSB contacts including a summit-to-summit with a couple in Georgia and others. More on this adventure later.

Once I got set up, John KC3FL answered my first CQ IMMEDIATELY with a beautiful signal, as usual!  Rick, you were very close on his heels also with armchair copy.  Barry VA7GEM and Rick did a great job coordinating the band shifts and schedule - thanks you guys, you really were great support.  Barry worked my on 3 and a half bands (15m was not quite there)

I managed to work 18 PSK stations.  Here is the list.

KC3FL - John
N7WE - Rick
WB8YXF - Richard
W5KV - Johnny
W5P - that's W5SLY Lee special event at the Perrin Field Museum
KC2TFX - Dave
VA7GEM - Barry 20m
N2EPE - Erick
KI5KAT - Steven
N5EYS - Ted
VA7GEM - Barry 40m
N7RI - Bill
KD7WII - Steve
WU4M - Joel
K4VBM - Bob
N6MG - Mr. Milt
KI4WVW - Jonathan
N0LTM - Steve
WA1LAD - Gil
VA7GEM - Barry 30m

Perhaps the most gratifying was Gil WA1LAD at the end from Rhode Island.  Gil hung in there and managed to breakthrough at the end.  Thank you for your patience Gil!

Thanks again everybody.  Stay tuned for more

73 Eric KG6MZS

www.kg6mzs.com

14,246' White Mountain at sunrise on Saturday from the Palmetto Mountains

On 5/25/22 5:27 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
A big "THANK YOU!" to Eric - KG6MZS - for his recent GridPedition and putting DM17 on the air.  I do believe he added in some SOTA and did some CW, SSB and FT8 Qs as well as all that PSK31.  From what I followed on the air and postings here on the group, it was a very successful and fun outing - for him and those of us who were chasing him.  Here is another picture he sent from his base camp.  Again, "TU Eric" from all of us!
_._,_._,

Gil woodside

Hi Eric,

I must say thank you first for activating a rare grid and second for working to help me confirm it !! I tried multiple times to work you but signals just weren't there. I was absolutely amazed how much the signals came up when were finally able to connect, you had one of the loudest signals on the band !

That gridpedition looked like it was an amazing area and alot of fun for you.

Thanks again Eric, 73

Gil/WA1LAD

PODXS #2923

On May 25, 2022 at 11:37 AM Eric KG6MZS <contact@...> wrote:

[...]

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:50 PM, Gil woodside wrote:
<!doctype html>

Hi Eric,

I must say thank you first for activating a rare grid and second for working to help me confirm it !! I tried multiple times to work you but signals just weren't there. I was absolutely amazed how much the signals came up when were finally able to connect, you had one of the loudest signals on the band !

That gridpedition looked like it was an amazing area and alot of fun for you.

Thanks again Eric, 73

Gil/WA1LAD

PODXS #2923

Gil
All this struggle to get you connected with Eric and I forgot to get you in my log.
Maybe on TDW next weekend
Barry

Gil woodside

Hi Barry,

Well, I do appreciate all the assistance to make thay QSO happen ! I shall be looking for you next weekend for sure. And, if need be, I am more than happy to do a sked for anyone who needs "rare Rhode Island". I am active 6-160M using ant if the multitude of digi modes, SSB and CW......

73,

Gil/WA1LAD