Dm15

Richard Rohrer

We are leaving Las Vegas and heading West.  Will be in dm15 in an hour or so.

Rick - N7WE

I'm on and looking!  Travel safe!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

stan W9SMR

I'm here, too.

OBTW..be on the lookout for KD9PCN calling on 20m from NE Indiana. He is a friend and member of the local ARC up there.

He has 47 QSOs and is looking to join up.

Stan
W9SMR

Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 10:59 AM
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Dm15

I'm on and looking! Travel safe!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Steve W3HF

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM, Richard Rohrer wrote:

Dick -

When you get a chance, could you refresh us on your route home? I've lost track, perhaps related to my own travels this year.

Steve
W3HF

Rick - N7WE

At 1620 UTC....anyone seen/worked Dick?  I saw Barry calling him but no answer.  Also see NQ6L from DM14 strong, but no copy on Dick so far.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Rick - N7WE

Barry - Saw you calling Dick again.  But it appeared you had no contact.  I think he must have encountered some difficulties as he has always texted just before entering the grid.  Heard So Cal got a heavy storm yesterday, so maybe travel is difficult headed west from LV.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

N9JCA Chris

Dick is calling CQ DM15 14.071
Chris N9JCA

On 10/26/21 4:37 PM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Barry - Saw you calling Dick again.  But it appeared you had no contact.  I think he must have encountered some difficulties as he has always texted just before entering the grid.  Heard So Cal got a heavy storm yesterday, so maybe travel is difficult headed west from LV.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Rick - N7WE

I'm going to assume by now that Dick has cleared DM15 and that today the magic just didn't work on this end.  Never saw a trace for him.  Grids are slippery and hard to grab!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Barry VA7GEM

Rick
Yes I am thinking Dick's bug has returned.
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Yes, the bug returned.  SWR went to infinity and my power out was about 2 watts.  We stopped and I tightened all of the connections and checked the antenna and could find nothing out of sorts.  Tried again and still SWR problem.  Had been working well when we left Las Vegas and worked a bunch of FT8 stations before the SWR went bad.  Found when we stopped I found that the SWR went back to normal.  I think there is a problem with the hamstick when it bends some at high speed, since the xyl is sailing down the highway at 75 to 80 mph, which is legal in the West.  Finally found that if I backed the antenna about a quarter turn out of the mount that it seem to solve the problem, but did not find until out of the grid.  We are in Fremont CA and will be in the Tesla plant tomorrow morning and then heading down to Paso Robalos to visit a couple of wineries.  I think we are only hitting a couple of grids tomorrow and I don't think any are needed. 

Dick - KC3EF  

Rick - N7WE

That sounds like a tough one to chase down at 75-80 mph Dick!  Barry had it right...he thought your bug had returned.  I don't know if this will help or not, but thought I'd mention it.  I once had a magmount with the 3/8 stud mount that suddenly went bad.  Infinite SWR.  After much head scratching and disassembly of the magmount, I found the nylon shoulder washer had deformed and was shorting out.  I think your setup uses one of those shoulder washers for insulation.  I found a FireStik antenna stud mount at a truck stop and used the shoulder washer out of it.  Fixed the problem.  Hope that might help.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

JoAnn Donaldson

Glad you found the problem and a fix. Hope to hear you on the air.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 05:56:23 AM CDT, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

That sounds like a tough one to chase down at 75-80 mph Dick!  Barry had it right...he thought your bug had returned.  I don't know if this will help or not, but thought I'd mention it.  I once had a magmount with the 3/8 stud mount that suddenly went bad.  Infinite SWR.  After much head scratching and disassembly of the magmount, I found the nylon shoulder washer had deformed and was shorting out.  I think your setup uses one of those shoulder washers for insulation.  I found a FireStik antenna stud mount at a truck stop and used the shoulder washer out of it.  Fixed the problem.  Hope that might help.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

I looked at the mount based on your suggestion Rick.  My mount has the insulator grommet kind of doubled, so I don't think that is the problem.  The antenna worked fine this morning when going thru several grids.  As we got closer to San Diego the SWR went infinite again.  I think the problem is the at the base of the hamstick.  I tried bending it various directions and it seemed to fix it, until Kathy hit 70 mph.  I can see on the s-meter when there is a problem, since the receive signal drops off significantly.   If I can't get 20mtr to work then I will be on 40 mtrs for the rest of the trip.  

Our visit to Tesla was interesting.  The plant covers several city blocks in Fremont and employees about 10,000 people.  Saw lots of new cars being ready to be shipped. 

We will be going thru DM12 and DM22 tomorrow. 

Dick - KC3EF 

Ham Radio Outlet: San Diego, CA

San Diego, CA

5375 Kearny Villa Road #113
San Diego, CA
92123-1422
Store Hours:
10AM-5:30PM Mon - Sat
Closed Sundays
Telephone hours:
9:30AM-5:30PM Mon - Sat
Toll Free: 877-520-9623
Local: 858-560-4900
Fax: 858-560-1705
Email: sandiego@...

-----Original Message-----
To: main@070Club.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Oct 28, 2021 8:11 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] Dm15

I looked at the mount based on your suggestion Rick.  My mount has the insulator grommet kind of doubled, so I don't think that is the problem.  The antenna worked fine this morning when going thru several grids.  As we got closer to San Diego the SWR went infinite again.  I think the problem is the at the base of the hamstick.  I tried bending it various directions and it seemed to fix it, until Kathy hit 70 mph.  I can see on the s-meter when there is a problem, since the receive signal drops off significantly.   If I can't get 20mtr to work then I will be on 40 mtrs for the rest of the trip.  

Our visit to Tesla was interesting.  The plant covers several city blocks in Fremont and employees about 10,000 people.  Saw lots of new cars being ready to be shipped. 

Dick - KC3EF 

Rick - N7WE

It sounds like you've got a handle on it Dick.  Ham sticks do develop problems.  But if that is what it is, it is a relatively cheap fix.  By the way, you are the first person I've known who could read vehicle speed on the SWR meter!  Hi Hi.  40m for the rest of the trip sounds good.  I'll be looking for you!  Hi to Kathy.  Is she thinking Tesla for you guys in the near future?  Travel safe.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

Sounds like the old problem I had with hamstiks.  The helically wound part where it meets the base has gone intermittent because the part where the base is has become soft either from a bird strike or something low hanging like drive up window.  The wire at that point is very tight and probably just barely touching.

My fix was to buy a new hamstik. I tried repairing one but it just kept breaking and going intermittent. 

Solution where you're in CA is to find an HRO for a new hamstik.

Good luck !

Jerry  n9avy

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 10:11:50 PM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Dick - KC3EF 

Richard Rohrer

We have moved on from San Diego and are now in El Paso TX.  Will be roaming around West TX and overnighting in Carlsbad NM.  I have played with the antenna a bit over the last two days and it seems to be working ok now.  Ran along I-10 today at 80 mph and worked several stations on FT8 with no problem.  SWR stayed below 3:1 all of the time.  Made several calls on psk but did not get any takers.  Hardly saw any traces on the waterfall.  

We will be in grids DL79, DM81, and DM72.  If anyone needs these grids send me a message, either email or text.  

Dick - KC3EF

Jerry N9AVY

Dick:

If you're running a solid state rig, a 3.1:1 SWR is probably not advisable.  Back in 70's I heard anything below 2:1 was okay, but higher was not good. My HTX-100 in beacon service had antenna with a 3:1 SWR and was simultaneously transmitting on both 10m and 20m. That 2 watt signal was heard in B.C. (Vancouver) and was actually jamming a net.  But the HTX-100 was a Radio Shack "El Cheapo" job and they left a bunch of parts out.  Many years ago I met the engineers from RS who were responsible for the abortion and they filled me in on it... cutting costs was RS 's specialty.

If you're still running the same hamstik that went to infinity SWR, I'm suspect you'll encounter the same problem again on this trip.  Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

jerry  n9avy

On Saturday, October 30, 2021, 09:49:27 PM CDT, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

We have moved on from San Diego and are now in El Paso TX.  Will be roaming around West TX and overnighting in Carlsbad NM.  I have played with the antenna a bit over the last two days and it seems to be working ok now.  Ran along I-10 today at 80 mph and worked several stations on FT8 with no problem.  SWR stayed below 3:1 all of the time.  Made several calls on psk but did not get any takers.  Hardly saw any traces on the waterfall.  

We will be in grids DL79, DM81, and DM72.  If anyone needs these grids send me a message, either email or text.  

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

I'll be on and off the air today Dick.  Even though I don't need any of those grids, if I see you calling I'll check in just to say hello.  Safe adventures and have Texas-sized fun today!  You too Kathy!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Barry VA7GEM

Dick
I am in need of DL79
Hope to CU
Barry