From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
To: main@070club.groups.io <main@070club.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 24, 2021 3:47 pm
Subject: [070Club] Diversity

Don't know if the site is still around, but there used to be a site called "Famous Hams" which had several notible people on it. Many kike Arthur Godfrey, Walter Cronkhite, Barry Goldwater, etc. have gone on to the big hamshack in the sky, but there are still a few alive and kicking.

In my 43 year ham career I worked the inventor of the  Yagi antenna, some high up Navy brass and probably a few others I don't know about. One ham friend from years ago was a nuclear scientist, but he loved DXing.

One of the things I noticed about PSK31 operators is there seems to a few LEOs, lawyers, etc.  We, as hams, come from all walks of life, but we all have a common interest in communicating and meeting others of like interests.

It' great that we can all get together in this hobby.

Jerry  n9avy

Ronnie Milsap was one of my first 10 or 20 CW contacts as a new novice in the 70's.  Didn't know his last name till I looked his call up in the Call Book.  Remember that monster?
Barry Goldwater was a regular on the 07/67 machine in Baltimore.  He would hit it when he was flying in and out of DC, liked the coverage of that repeater.
My favorite qso happened after I finished running phone patches on 15 mtrs to Mcmurdo  AFB at abt 3 or 4 AM back in the early 80's when I got a call from JY1.  No suffix and thought he was a pirate station but decided to work him.  In the qso he asked me what I did for work and I told him that I managed a Radio Shack.  He told me he had one of everything they ever sold and I said to myself "Shuuuuuure"
Then I asked him what his line of work was and that's when I made the mistake of addressing him as Your Highness.  I received a lecture that there are no titles or royalties in ham radio, only first names.  It was a nice chewing out and I remember he had a good sense of humor.

John
KC3FL

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

Way too many careers.  USMC Drummer then Radio Relay Repairman. IBM Customer Engineer System 360/370 at NSA  and NASA. Forestry and Parks with Weyerhaeuser and Corps of Engineers.  Retirred as Registered Nurse.  Retired USAFR Civil Engineer.
--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381