Topics

dit dit

Jerry N9AVY

Wonder how many know where this originated upon signing off.

De  n9avy dit dit

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rob French (KC4UPR)

Dunno, but I feel like I need a shave and a haircut...

Dit Dit is used by CW ops. to acknowledge the last transmission.  Example, I sign clear with you then you sign clear with me.  I send a Dit Dit to let you know that I see that you signed off.  Quick and simple.  One of my pet peeves is the op that includes Dit Dit in their sign off macro.  They're acknowledging that you sent your last transmission before you did it.

Jerry N9AVY

Putting it in you sign off macro is something I avoid.  What I do use is , “73 de  n9avy dit dit”   which conforms with FCC Parts 97:119 “ a)  Each amateur station , except a space station or a telecommand station , MUST TRANSMIT its assigned call sign on its transmiiting channel at the END of each transmission, and at least every ten minutes during a transmission, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions.  …  “

I interpret that as the last signal in a QSO should contain your station call sign.   I would would err on the side of this than to be interpreted otherwise.   Have heard many U.S. PSK stations over the years sign off without bothering with an ID.  If I was an FCC monitor these stations would be getting warnings.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dit Dit is used by CW ops. to acknowledge the last transmission.  Example, I sign clear with you then you sign clear with me.  I send a Dit Dit to let you know that I see that you signed off.  Quick and simple.  One of my pet peeves is the op that includes Dit Dit in their sign off macro.  They're acknowledging that you sent your last transmission before you did it.

Of course you must use your call to follow rules and you want the other station to know it's you.  An appropriate use would be when the other station signs and makes a comment in his sign off like "I'll be working 40 tonight" or maybe comments on something you talked abt in your qso.  The primary purpose is to acknowledge that you got the last comment