Display ideas

Bill-N7RI

Good afternoon
Our local club is hosting the ARRL state convention last year.  We anticipate a large crowd this year since nothing happened last year.  We even expect to draw from some of the neighboring states.  The club is asking for displays to discuss different things "Ham"  I am looking for ideas for a PSK display.  Operating live isn't an option so I will have to be a static display.  Has anyone done such a display or have great ideas for me?
73
Bill
N7RI
070-1191

K8TOM

For FD we have set up a/v audiovisual stations run by computer(s).   One is a looping PSA type presentation about ham radio, its history and role in current happenings.  Another is a selectable program on a half-dozen ham-related topics, using a touch screen laptop.  Would that qualify as a "static display"?

You might do a search for short (<6 min) presentations on PSK and/or digital communications and EmComm.  Many non-ham folks don't want to stand around much longer than 5-6 minutes.

Good luck,
Tom
K8TOM

I recall NIDXA (Northern Illinois DX Association) stetting up a live station at their W9DXCC at one of the hotels where the Convention was held.  Also, 10-10 International would set up 2 stations at opposite ends of hall or one in parking lot for people to make contacts.  These were viable, but your situation may be different.  Nothing like having real working radios on site.

HRD even had a PSK display one year, but it was a static display (disappointing).
You may get other ideas as time goes by.

Jerry  n9avy  070-454

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 01:38:10 PM CDT, Bill-N7RI <n7ri.wy@...> wrote:

Good afternoon
Our local club is hosting the ARRL state convention last year.  We anticipate a large crowd this year since nothing happened last year.  We even expect to draw from some of the neighboring states.  The club is asking for displays to discuss different things "Ham"  I am looking for ideas for a PSK display.  Operating live isn't an option so I will have to be a static display.  Has anyone done such a display or have great ideas for me?
73
Bill
N7RI
070-1191

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Bill,

This is a great question.  I was thinking about what it would take to give a PSK demo without radios.  I see that FLDIGI can record the audio and then play it back.  I haven't figured it out yet but it may allow you to record QSOs and then play the whole thing back.  All you would need would a large screen and a computer.  I'm not sure if that is what the function is for.

Let us knw what  you come up with.

Bob
KK6KMU

Dave Rowlinson

Although not a true RF based demonstration, what about 2 computers, with their audio connections tied to one another?  The audio out from going to the audio in of the other and vice versa..  With both computers running FLDIGI in PSK mode, that would demonstrate the activity, and if you port the audio of one to the speakers very quietly, that would give the audio sound of the tones transmitted over RF.

If attendees are allowed to try the system, they could see how the operations would work.  If this has to be a hands-off display, then the similar actions could be a script running on one to "type" the messages that would appear on the other.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 at 18:28, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Bill,

This is a great question.  I was thinking about what it would take to give a PSK demo without radios.  I see that FLDIGI can record the audio and then play it back.  I haven't figured it out yet but it may allow you to record QSOs and then play the whole thing back.  All you would need would a large screen and a computer.  I'm not sure if that is what the function is for.

Let us knw what  you come up with.

Bob
KK6KMU

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Bill,

You could also make a Zoom presentation recording both the presenter in a small window and your PSK screen.  I have limited skills with Zoom but tried it using videos on the web to help me.  I was able to do it.  So if you develop a script and find PSK activity you can do it.  The file is saved to your computer in a Zoom format but converts it to mp4 I believe.  Just need a computer a large and maybe an extra speaker and play back the video.

Bob
KK6KMU