Topics

Debian 10 linux + Fldigi + Signalink USB + Kenwood TS-570D/G


Doug Behl <dbehl@...>
 

Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone has some ideas?   

The issue:

  • 9 times out of 10, the PSK-31 transmission works perfectly.  However, 1 out of 10 times, I hear the Signalink click, the red light comes on, but there is no power out on the power meter.  Sometimes, it's 30 seconds into the transmission before noticing that no RF is getting out.  When it happens, the transmission needs to be stopped, and restarted.      

Here is my setup: 

  • Kenwood TS-570 D/G
  • Signalink USB
  • Debian 10.4 (stable branch)
  • Flrig 1.3.42 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)
  • Fldigi 4.1.01 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)

More background:

  • I hadn't used PSK for a couple of years, and set everything up again, about a month ago. 
  • Since going off the air, I have switched computers.  I was running Debian 8 or 9 stable, and the stable version of Fldigi and Flrig.  I don't recall ever having this issue before.
  • Spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days, tweaking the settings, and the following seems to work best.  However, no combination of settings were found that would address the issue.   
  • Current settings:
    • Kenwood TS-570D/G
      • menu 33 - Input level for digital set to 1
      • menu 34 - Output level for digital set to 3
    • Signalink USB
      • Jumper module SLMOD13K set to position 1
      • Internal jumpers JP2, JP3 and JP4 not connected
      • TX @ 10 o'clock
      • RX @ 3 o'clock
      • DLY @ 12 o'clock
    • Pulse Audio (pavucontrol)
      • Output devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 50%
      • Input devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 100%
    • These settings work well, produce about 20 watts out on my Kenwood, and I receive good reports.  Just doesn't work 10% of the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. 

Stay cool, and stay safe!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB


David, K9DWR
 

* Doug Behl <dbehl@...> [2020-07-18 22:34]:
Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the
club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to
extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!
Glad to hear that, Doug. Welcome, indeed :-)

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if
there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe
someone has some ideas?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.
That's not ringing any bells for me, but...

I recommend asking in the mailing list for fldigi linux support:
https://groups.io/g/linuxham

I also recommend trying building from source. The instructions are pretty
detailed and there are often fixes that get addressed that stable won't see for
a long time.

https://sourceforge.net/p/fldigi/wiki/debian_howto/

It's also possible to run stable alongside your own build, so it's easy enough
to go back if you want/need to.


--
David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...


Jerry N9AVY
 

Hi Doug !

Welcome to the grup !!!

Have a TS-570S as a back up but have never got it running on PSK.

The main rig here is a Yaesu FT-1000MP with MixW 3.2 and WIN7. Have had a similar problem that you described. It sometimes won't key up and I just hit transmit again, maybe once or twice and all is okay. It's a minor annoyance, but I've learned to live with it.

BTW, I approve the awards you submitted on Saturday and they are on my list.


73, Jerry N9AVY

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 09:34:24 PM CDT, Doug Behl <dbehl@...> wrote:


Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone has some ideas?   

The issue:

  • 9 times out of 10, the PSK-31 transmission works perfectly.  However, 1 out of 10 times, I hear the Signalink click, the red light comes on, but there is no power out on the power meter.  Sometimes, it's 30 seconds into the transmission before noticing that no RF is getting out.  When it happens, the transmission needs to be stopped, and restarted.      

Here is my setup: 

  • Kenwood TS-570 D/G
  • Signalink USB
  • Debian 10.4 (stable branch)
  • Flrig 1.3.42 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)
  • Fldigi 4.1.01 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)

More background:

  • I hadn't used PSK for a couple of years, and set everything up again, about a month ago. 
  • Since going off the air, I have switched computers.  I was running Debian 8 or 9 stable, and the stable version of Fldigi and Flrig.  I don't recall ever having this issue before.
  • Spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days, tweaking the settings, and the following seems to work best.  However, no combination of settings were found that would address the issue.   
  • Current settings:
    • Kenwood TS-570D/G
      • menu 33 - Input level for digital set to 1
      • menu 34 - Output level for digital set to 3
    • Signalink USB
      • Jumper module SLMOD13K set to position 1
      • Internal jumpers JP2, JP3 and JP4 not connected
      • TX @ 10 o'clock
      • RX @ 3 o'clock
      • DLY @ 12 o'clock
    • Pulse Audio (pavucontrol)
      • Output devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 50%
      • Input devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 100%
    • These settings work well, produce about 20 watts out on my Kenwood, and I receive good reports.  Just doesn't work 10% of the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. 

Stay cool, and stay safe!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB


Doug Behl <dbehl@...>
 

Thank you for your response, David.  I'm actually a member of the linuxham group, but haven't been active in any groups since they switched from Yahoo!  So, it's been awhile.  But, I just checked groups.io, and I'm still registered with linuxham.  So, I will ask my question there.  Was considering building from source, and think I will try that, too.

Thanks again!

Doug VE3XDB


On 2020-07-18 11:45 p.m., David, K9DWR wrote:
* Doug Behl <dbehl@...> [2020-07-18 22:34]:
Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the
club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to
extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!
Glad to hear that, Doug.  Welcome, indeed :-)

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if
there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe
someone has some ideas?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.
That's not ringing any bells for me, but...

I recommend asking in the mailing list for fldigi linux support:
https://groups.io/g/linuxham

I also recommend trying building from source.  The instructions are pretty
detailed and there are often fixes that get addressed that stable won't see for
a long time.

https://sourceforge.net/p/fldigi/wiki/debian_howto/

It's also possible to run stable alongside your own build, so it's easy enough
to go back if you want/need to.

--
Doug Behl
519-897-8550


Doug Behl <dbehl@...>
 

Hello Jerry,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, it is definitely a "live with" problem, but if it could be fixed, that would be great.  The issue is that I don't notice it quickly enough, and leave a bunch of dead air before restarting the transmission. 

Have been looking at new rigs, including the Kenwood TS-590SG and the Icom IC-7300.  The old 570 keeps going, and is actually a good rig for PSK and for CW, so I will stick with it for now.  The advantage of the new rigs is that no interface is required.  Did some reading on setting up PSK on the 590, and it looks quite straightforward. 

Let me know if there were any issues with the award submission.

Take care, have a good day, and thanks again!

Regards,

Doug VE3XDB

 

On 2020-07-19 12:43 a.m., Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Hi Doug !

Welcome to the grup !!!

Have a TS-570S as a back up but have never got it running on PSK.

The main rig here is a Yaesu FT-1000MP with MixW 3.2 and WIN7. Have had a similar problem that you described. It sometimes won't key up and I just hit transmit again, maybe once or twice and all is okay. It's a minor annoyance, but I've learned to live with it.

BTW, I approve the awards you submitted on Saturday and they are on my list.


73, Jerry N9AVY
On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 09:34:24 PM CDT, Doug Behl <dbehl@...> wrote:


Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone has some ideas?   

The issue:

  • 9 times out of 10, the PSK-31 transmission works perfectly.  However, 1 out of 10 times, I hear the Signalink click, the red light comes on, but there is no power out on the power meter.  Sometimes, it's 30 seconds into the transmission before noticing that no RF is getting out.  When it happens, the transmission needs to be stopped, and restarted.      

Here is my setup: 

  • Kenwood TS-570 D/G
  • Signalink USB
  • Debian 10.4 (stable branch)
  • Flrig 1.3.42 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)
  • Fldigi 4.1.01 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)

More background:

  • I hadn't used PSK for a couple of years, and set everything up again, about a month ago. 
  • Since going off the air, I have switched computers.  I was running Debian 8 or 9 stable, and the stable version of Fldigi and Flrig.  I don't recall ever having this issue before.
  • Spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days, tweaking the settings, and the following seems to work best.  However, no combination of settings were found that would address the issue.   
  • Current settings:
    • Kenwood TS-570D/G
      • menu 33 - Input level for digital set to 1
      • menu 34 - Output level for digital set to 3
    • Signalink USB
      • Jumper module SLMOD13K set to position 1
      • Internal jumpers JP2, JP3 and JP4 not connected
      • TX @ 10 o'clock
      • RX @ 3 o'clock
      • DLY @ 12 o'clock
    • Pulse Audio (pavucontrol)
      • Output devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 50%
      • Input devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 100%
    • These settings work well, produce about 20 watts out on my Kenwood, and I receive good reports.  Just doesn't work 10% of the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. 

Stay cool, and stay safe!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB


  


Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

In my experience, any problem with a SignaLink USB that I encounter I eventually discover is RF pickup either on the USB cable from the computer to the SignaLink USB, or on the cables from the SignaLink USB to the rig.  If I were you I’d put ferrites on both cables, or better yet run both cables through toroids (use as many wraps as you can manage) and see if the problem goes away.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jul 18, 2020, at 7:34 PM, Doug Behl <dbehl@...> wrote:

Good evening,

As a new member, and want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the club.  I was on 40 meters this evening, and several members contacted me to extend their welcome.  It was very kind, and unexpected!

Before writing this message, I reviewed the group message history to see if there was an issue similar to mine, but couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone has some ideas?   

The issue:

  • 9 times out of 10, the PSK-31 transmission works perfectly.  However, 1 out of 10 times, I hear the Signalink click, the red light comes on, but there is no power out on the power meter.  Sometimes, it's 30 seconds into the transmission before noticing that no RF is getting out.  When it happens, the transmission needs to be stopped, and restarted.      

Here is my setup: 

  • Kenwood TS-570 D/G
  • Signalink USB
  • Debian 10.4 (stable branch)
  • Flrig 1.3.42 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)
  • Fldigi 4.1.01 (old, but it is the version that comes with the stable branch)

More background:

  • I hadn't used PSK for a couple of years, and set everything up again, about a month ago. 
  • Since going off the air, I have switched computers.  I was running Debian 8 or 9 stable, and the stable version of Fldigi and Flrig.  I don't recall ever having this issue before.
  • Spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days, tweaking the settings, and the following seems to work best.  However, no combination of settings were found that would address the issue.   
  • Current settings:
    • Kenwood TS-570D/G
      • menu 33 - Input level for digital set to 1
      • menu 34 - Output level for digital set to 3
    • Signalink USB
      • Jumper module SLMOD13K set to position 1
      • Internal jumpers JP2, JP3 and JP4 not connected
      • TX @ 10 o'clock
      • RX @ 3 o'clock
      • DLY @ 12 o'clock
    • Pulse Audio (pavucontrol)
      • Output devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 50%
      • Input devices PCM2904 Audio Codec Analog Stereo set at 100%
    • These settings work well, produce about 20 watts out on my Kenwood, and I receive good reports.  Just doesn't work 10% of the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful. 

Stay cool, and stay safe!

Best regards,

Doug VE3XDB



ve3xdb
 

Good afternoon,

Thanks to the generous help from several members of the 070 and linuxham groups, my problem seems to have been solved! 

Paul W7PBF suggested additional ferrite.  Based on his advice, this article was found on the DX Engineering website, specifically addressing the RF suseptibility of the Signalink USB:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/Signalink-RF-Fix.pdf

The article suggests adding a split core ferrite to the USB input cable, with 4 turns through the core.  Don't have a core large enough to get 4 turns through it, but took one off the power cable of my computer monitor, and was able to get 3 turns through the core.  Also left the small core that was previously there on the input cable.  That seemed to have worked!  Just spent the past 15 minutes qrming the 40 meter band, running 15 short test transmissions.  Each time, the rig was keyed and the power meter showed output power. 

Ed W3NR and others suggested that my DLY setting was too high, so it has now been reset to 0, and will be left there.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Lev HA5OGL suggested some adjustments if using VOX.  Lev, when using the Signalink the VOX circuit is turned off on the rig.  Thank you for your suggestion.   

David K9DWR suggested building Fldigi from source, and also suggested contacting the linuxham group.  Both great suggestions!  I may still build Fldigi from source, to get a more up to date version.  Also may try to build Flrig.  David also asked about the CAT control device being used.  I use the RTSystems USB-63 cable, which works great for rig control.  The cable is simple to set up, and works well with Flrig on Debian.   

Thanks to everyone for your generous help.  I am grateful to everyone for your support, and will be heading over to the Palomar Engineers website to purchase more ferrite!   

With best regards,

Doug VE3XDB   


David, K9DWR
 

On Jul 19, 2020, at 17:50, ve3xdb <ve3xdb@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

Thanks to the generous help from several members of the 070 and linuxham groups, my problem seems to have been solved!

Paul W7PBF suggested additional ferrite. Based on his advice, this article was found on the DX Engineering website, specifically addressing the RF suseptibility of the Signalink USB:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/Signalink-RF-Fix.pdf
I should have mentioned this from the start. I have my USB cable choked from here to Sunday as well, which fixed a lot of my early issues, too. It’s been like that for so long, I forgot it was there. ;-)

Glad things are looking better.


David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...