Topics

Contest

Jerry N9AVY

Looks like I may miss this one. Dang !     Replaced computer in shack because old XP box wwas having mental problems – couldn’t remember date/time/year.     Loaded up software and can get anything on the waterfall now.  Looked all over to see if I missed a cable, but nada.  Am tired, so will take a nap and tackle problem later.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jerry N9AVY

Looks like I may be in contest after all.  Put old XP machine back on line and it seems to work,  However, the new-to-me WIN 7 box was a flop !  Couldn’t get any audio on waterfall… might be a dead sound card or ???

Welcome aboard to Lauri N1UKX … had just worked him, but will need to work him now for his “ink still wet” brand new 070 # !

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ken Campbell

Hiyas,

With regard to your old XP box, looks like the CMOS battery on your motherboard is shot. That’s what keeps the clock settings when you power down. It’s most likely one of those button cell batteries like a C3022. EASY to replace, will cost you about $3.00.

Ray Clements

When a CMOS battery fails, the BIOS settings will reset to default. This may or may not be acceptable depending upon the configuration of your computer. Thus, once the CMOS battery is replaced, you need to go into the BIOS setup and check every setting to see if its is set appropriately. Depending upon your BIOS, access to the BIOS setup during system startup will differ.

The BIOS on modern computers often configure many things automatically during the boot process, but the BIOS in older computers such as those running XP may not do that.

Ray N9RWC

With regard to your old XP box, looks like the CMOS battery on your motherboard is shot. That’s what keeps the clock settings when you power down. It’s most likely one of those button cell batteries like a C3022. EASY to replace, will cost you about $3.00.

Jerry N9AVY

Ken:

Yup, that was just one problem.  Biggest problem was that XP software was incompatible with LoTW, but that’s another story. Was time for XP box to go.