Topics

Contacts who have returned or new to PSK

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Over the last couple of weeks I have had QSO's with many returnees or new to PSK.  Some have said that they were ready for a change and have a more unsubstantial QSO.  Some had never tried PSK before. Has any one had this experience?  Just wondering.  I pointed them all to our web site.

Thanks,
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

Ron Bosch

As a person who, although I have been a Ham for a long time, has very little HF experience, I would say that quite a few folks like me, who have taken the plunge into HF as a function of the enforced time at home are starting to explore new stuff.

I have been talking about how much I love the mode on the nets I am on, and I have several folks on those nets getting set up now.

I think a lot of people have been playing with FT8 and JS8Call, but are finding out that they are eventually pretty boring except for paper chasing.

I just had a 30 minute QSO with a guy in VA, we had a blast, and you sure can't do that on FT8!!

my 2.71828 cents,

Ron
KE4DRF

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 9:55 PM Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:
Over the last couple of weeks I have had QSO's with many returnees or new to PSK.  Some have said that they were ready for a change and have a more unsubstantial QSO.  Some had never tried PSK before. Has any one had this experience?  Just wondering.  I pointed them all to our web site.

Thanks,
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

Jerry N9AVY

Bob:

Have run into a few over past few months who were returning from other modes because hey enjoyed ragchewing and the friendlier QSOs on PSK.

"unsubstantial QSO" ??? Did you mean it without the "un" prefix or is that a California thing ?

Jerry n9avy

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 09:56:00 PM CDT, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

Over the last couple of weeks I have had QSO's with many returnees or new to PSK.  Some have said that they were ready for a change and have a more unsubstantial QSO.  Some had never tried PSK before. Has any one had this experience?  Just wondering.  I pointed them all to our web site.

Thanks,
Bob  KK6KMU  #2484

DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381

Mu last 2 contacts for the Maryland QSO Party were folks making their first contact on psk31.  And I also am seeing remarks about returning to the airwaves to have conversations after getting their fill of FT8 exotic station contacts.  I always make sure to send a paper qsl card to those making their first contact.

Dave
KB3RAN
1692//381
APE Event Mgr.

--
Dave H KB3RAN 1692/381

I've seen new folks just about everyday for the past two or three months.  Some new to digital, and some FT8 ops that either got bored or worked every station on the planet.  Along with not knowing the protocal, they will type ahead and load the xmit buffer or have a signal 500 hz wide.  Try to use some tact when you point out those things.  We want to help the newbie, not chase them away.  I heard a station blister a guy for having an over driven signal and the new guy went silent.  I sent him an email and explained how to fix the signal and that the nasty op is the exception and not the norm on PSK.  He replied that his first contact left a bad taste in his mouth and he didn't intend to return to PSK but accepted my help and I've seen him on the waterfall since.  So keep in mind what it was like when you started and welcome the new guy or gal.

John
KC3FL

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

I put a few days on my calendar to make sure that I get the missing three days for my 365/366 endorsement. I am hoping that for the next three days (starting tomorrow), there are enough stations that are strong enough, and that also can decode my signals. I had to make some modifications to my station (the computer I used before died), so after a successful trial run yesterday, I had one brief QSO this morning. So, if you see my signal over the next couple of days, I am desperate for a PSK31 QSO :)

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Bob Motyl KK6KMU

Jerry,
I meant a more substantial QSO.  Poor composition on my part.

All,
Great group of people we have in this group. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it.  Always refreshing to meet new PSK ers.

Bob KK6KMU

Jerry N9AVY

Good advice John ! Usually try to be helpful for new and old guys alike. One thing I learned when finding an overdriven signal is to first turn off the AGC and insert about 18 db of attenuation. This usually proves to be a problem with my receiver (FT-1000MP). Learned this from an Official Observer a few years back. Also if you're using a yagi, you need to turn away from "offending" station. This will eliminate any possibility of error on your part.

Just thought I'd pass along some knowledge I found along the way ...

Jerry n9avy

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:12:33 AM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl@...> wrote:

[...]

No problem, it just made me stumble over that sentence. Missteaks happen .

Jerry n9avy

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:06:41 AM CDT, Bob Motyl KK6KMU <bobmotyl@...> wrote:

Jerry,
I meant a more substantial QSO.  Poor composition on my part.

All,
Great group of people we have in this group. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it.  Always refreshing to meet new PSK ers.

Bob KK6KMU

Leland Sly

Always remember that with digital modes it is the computer that is talking to the radio.  The computer talks with the speakers.  If the speaker volume is too loud (the computer is yelling at the radio) you'll cause distortion and an overdriven signal.  I adjust the computer speaker level until I get no ALC needle deflection showing on the meter while I am transmitting.  This insures that I won't have an overdriven signal.

73

Lee N5SLY

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:12:33 AM CDT, John - KC3FL via groups.io <kc3fl=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I’ve had several QSO’s lately with hams trying PSK31 for the first time.  I always point’em toward this group.

My local club (Snoqualmie Valley ARC) knows I am a big PSK fan and asked me to do a ‘intro to PSK31’ presentation.  I gave them the Complete Introduction, with full orchestration, five part vocal harmony, and feeling.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 12, 2020, at 4:24 AM, DAVE KB3RAN 1692/381 via groups.io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

Mu last 2 contacts for the Maryland QSO Party were folks making their first contact on psk31.  And I also am seeing remarks about returning to the airwaves to have conversations after getting their fill of FT8 exotic station contacts.  I always make sure to send a paper qsl card to those making their first contact.

Dave
KB3RAN
1692//381
APE Event Mgr.